This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• edited April 2009
    @Markoon: Middle picture, bottom right, nice pants.

Are people ok with me grabbing pictures from this thread to use in a mock-up for my comics site project? They'll be taken out of context but it'd be nice to have varied styles and will let me get on with making the mock-up itself.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited April 2009
    I started on an acrylic painting for fun. It's something to keep me away from the PC. So far it's working!
    Awesome! That's a cute little guy. I keep telling myself that I'll start painting again someday, but I dunno. The pixels have me spoiled.
    Are people ok with me grabbing pictures from this thread to use in a mock-up for my comics site project? They'll be taken out of context but it'd be nice to have varied styles and will let me get on with making the mock-up itself.
    It's fine with me if you use any of the stuff of mine from this thread or drawings from the "finished pieces" thread (but not the comics pages from the other thread, I don't "own" those).
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • @Omnutia: >.< uhh... I was wearing shorts! Maybe that was odd. I blurred it. About using images, I'd be ok with it. I don't remember everything thing I've posted though.
    @funfetus: I like the crafting that is involved with painting. You don't really get to craft anything when you work digitally. You shouldn't feel like you have to paint in real life. It is awesome to not have an undo button.
  • @funfetus: I like the crafting that is involved with painting. You don't really get to craft anything when you work digitally. You shouldn't feel like you have to paint in real life. It is awesome to not have an undo button.
    See, the crafting is the part I hate. :) I've never been that concerned with tools -- I've always just wanted as little as possible to get inbetween my brain and the finished art. Paint is so many things to deal with -- mixing paint, thinning paint, priming canvases, cleaning brushes -- and the MESS. Still, there is a certain joy to be had from having a nice piece of art you can hang on the wall. But the main reason that I sometimes feel that I SHOULD be painting is that I think digital can make you lazy -- I think painting with paint, where you have to really plan things out, and lay down your colors in a specific order, can build discipline that will make me better as a digital artist.

Speaking of undo buttons, I reached for ctrl-z (well, in my case it's actually ctrl-[) at life-drawing the other day. :)
  • It's so odd when my brain requests a control z when there is no control z. I guess I like getting my hands dirty. Working on digital art is also pretty distracting for me. As soon as I get stumped... "Oh I wonder what's happening on the internet!". When I paint in a room, all of that is far away. It almost feels meditative. I feel like I can concentrate better. I also do things alot faster in real media. I end up undoing 50 times when I draw a simple thing like a line digitally. In real media I can only erase as much as the paper will let me. It makes me less wasteful with my time. One last thing I like about painting is that I get to stand and paint! I sit too much at the pc.
  • Mankoon - I love the paint fumes but I am quite impatient, but not skilled enough to use proper acrylics. Also I spill and drop (very clumsy). Enjoyed the pics of your painting though.
    Funfetus - your line art makes me smile!

Here is my humble offering
  • The sketch on the left almost looks like something out of a Japanese wood block print.
  • edited April 2009
    Speaking of undo buttons, I reached for ctrl-z (well, in my case it's actually ctrl-[) at life-drawing the other day. :)
    This totally happened to me when I was painting a cell for the anime club festival display at Nagoya U. I had never, ever colored an animation frame with real media, and every time I finished filling in a color with cell paint, I would think ctrl-s! ctrl-s!

Also, here's a rough sketch for a character design I am working on. I can't say too much about the project except: Airships! Get excited.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited April 2009
    As soon as I get stumped... "Oh I wonder what's happening on the internet!".
    Oh man, that's my ultimate downfall. I've been trying really hard to build up some willpower and just get my work done.
    Funfetus - your line art makes me smile!
    Hereis my humble offering
    Thanks! By the way, you can make your drawing show up on the page if you click that button that looks like a polaroid. Your faces are looking better -- more structural. Keep it up!
    This totally happened to me when I was painting a cell for the anime club festival display at Nagoya U. I had never, ever colored an animation frame with real media, and every time I finished filling in a color with cell paint, I would think ctrl-s! ctrl-s!
    It's so weird how that works. Do you actually think the words "Ctrl-S"? Or is it just an impulse to kind of reach for it? So they still use cells? Or is it more for nostalgia?
  • Heehee, just that momentary reaching for the keyboard, only to mentally kick myself and have a laugh at how used to painting on the computer I had gotten. The cell painting was for a demonstration/display, like they sometimes have at conventions in the states. Basically we traced and painted cells to hang up and explain how anime was made, even though it isn't really made like that anymore. I'd be happy if I never ever had to paint cells again.
  • Basically we traced and painted cells to hang up and explain how anime was made, even though it isn't really made like that anymore. I'd be happy if I never ever had to paint cells again.
    I heard that they stopped using cells because the government started taxing them or something like that. I'm sure doing it digitally is vastly cheaper and faster anyway. Is it likely that you'll ever have to paint a cell again?

Also, I forgot to mention your sketch you posted -- looks good. Can you even talk about what medium this project will be?
  • edited April 2009
    3D. It's for a game. The sketch is for a character concept digital painting.
    Maybe I'll post some of my mechanical designs later. I'm probably going to write about it on the company blog once it's to a certain stage in pre-production and show off some of my pitch drawings.
    I heard that they stopped using cells because the government started taxing them or something like that. I'm sure doing it digitally is vastly cheaper and faster anyway. Is it likely that you'll ever have to paint a cell again?
    There's no reason that any studio should shoot cells these days. Takes way too much money and time.
  • 3D. It's for a game. The sketch is for a character concept digital painting.
    Maybe I'll post some of my mechanical designs later. I'm probably going to write about it on the company blog once it's to a certain stage in pre-production and show off some of my pitch drawings.
    That sounds rad. What's the company, by the way?
  • I was doing an exercise from a tutorial DVD, but then I kept going, and it got stupid.

Shark ship!

• Shark ship!
    I want one of those!
  • Little acoustic ditty in the works.
    He's got a ditty! GET DOWN!
    Pretty good.
  • edited May 2009
    GIMP has marginally improved in 9.04 so I thought I'd have another go at some simple sketching
    Posted here.
  • edited May 2009
    More sketchwork. Based on Gomidog's Scrymko design. Kinda botched the hands while adding the rail gun.
    For people in the future, Rymko's outfit comes from this photoshop. It's a work in progress..
  • Looking good. I gotta admit, I don't get the whole Scrymko thing. I guess I'm not into anime enough. You mentioned botching the hands -- the main thing I see is that the hands on both figures are too small. Do you do a light sketch to get your pose and proportions down before you start really drawing? If not, you really should -- you can head off issues like this before they start.
  • edited May 2009
    Genderswapping fanart is pretty popular in most anime fandoms. In this case, the whole thing started as me drawing anime girl versions of Rym and Scott to tease them, and then it caught on. At least, that's how I remember it starting.
  • edited May 2009
    I think the way it has evolved is hilarious ! XD
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • edited May 2009
    The reason for the botching was that I wasn't planning anything really. I just started copying a picture I found on Scott's flickr of him in sunglasses then added the body and it went from there.

@Mankoon: I'm sure you do.
  • Omnutia, I really want to comment on how much you've improved since the first drawings you posted. It really is like night and day and it seems like you are definitely on your way. So, well done, man.
  • That might be due to me having used to draw but then stopped for a long while so I've just being getting back to my old level of skill.
    In the unlikely event that my desk clears, I'll get out the new A3 sketchpad I've got (above picture was done in a quarter of an A5 notebook) and do some more complex scenes; maybe bust out the inks.
  • edited May 2009
    AWO no.97 parts A and B inspired me to do this:
    Just to clarify, the letters stand for "Chi's Metal City".

And now for something more serious.
    May I just say: FUCK HANDS, FUCK HIGH HEELS!!
    Not quite Uglyfred quality but, an improvement.

These were both drawn one above the other on a piece of A5 paper.. I draw much too small.
  • edited May 2009
    May I just say: FUCK HANDS, FUCK HIGH HEELS!!
    Not quite Uglyfred quality but, an improvement.
    Definitely an improvement. The hands are still a little on the small side, but not that bad otherwise. Hands and feet are definitely among the most difficult bits of anatomy to draw. They're so bony, with so many complex shapes. The only solution is to really study them, and try to find the right forms to mentally break them down into that work best for you.
  • I'm thinking that the main problem is due each hand and foot being less than 1cm long. When I switch to A3, detail should improve rapidly.
  • God, I love that cat. He''s really into it. Omnutia, it's great to see you posting so much! I'm still not that good at hands either. I should do a study-athon again. Maybe you should too. Grab a magazine or look online for pictures of hands. Draw 20 of them. Try to break down their structure.
  • Krauser Cat!

You know how I learned to draw hands better? I'd be sitting in class and be bored and want to draw something, but what am I going to draw? If I sketch my classmates, it's too obvious and I get noticed. What's right there, that I can pose in a bunch of different ways and not seem like I am goofing off? My hand. My notes always have a bunch of drawings of hands on them.