This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• I'm still not that good at hands either.
    But you're Mankoon so, relatively speaking, that's like saying Tiger Woods' putting is a little weak.

@Gomidog, I wonder what your teachers through of that.
  • They were used to weird drawings on my folders/homework/tests.

My physics teacher loved my explanatory diagrams because often they were little cartoons.
  • edited May 2009
    I'm still not that good at hands either.
    But you're Mankoon so, relatively speaking, that's like saying Tiger Woods' putting is a little weak.
    Hah, thanks for putting me on a pedestal but I'm no Tiger Woods! I have a lot of difficulty understanding hands in 3D space and trying to make them as expressive as they can be. I couldn't find the illustration I really wanted to show, but I figured I could should show something. Look at the hands!
    From various artists:
    hands 1
    hands 2
    hands 3
    hands 4
    hands 5
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • edited May 2009
    I should do a study-athon again.
    Study-athon! I've been on a drapery/automobile study-athon for the past couple weeks, because I've run out of script pages to draw. I almost forgot how much I improve when I do this.
    hands 2
    Is that Frank Stockton? Thanks for the links, Mankoon.

Let me jump in here with a little bit of hand tutorial:

I hope that's helpful.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited May 2009
    Nice one,Funfetus! I didn't even realize that middle finger= length of palm. Also I was dieing to find out who painted that picture. Is it Frank Stockton? I googled him and the art doesn't really look like that painting. I have another one by the same artist. It looks like an oil of boxers.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • AWOno.97 partsAandBinspired me to do this:
    Just to clarify, the letters stand for "Chi's Metal City".
    Not Krauser san...KRAUSER NYAN! Dude, you should send it to them.
  • Also I was dieing to find out who painted that picture. Is it Frank Stockton? I googled him and the art doesn't really look like that painting. I have another one by the same artist. It looks like an oils of boxers.
    Oh, man, I screwed up. I meant this one. The one I ORIGINALLY posted is Phil Hale. He's awesome.
  • Oh, man, I screwed up. I meantthis one.
    That one was the third link.
  • Thanks, funfetus! I didn't know the names of either of those artists.
    This was inspired from a concept artist named Khang Le. I linked to the specific piece in my art blog.I Don't think I've mentioned that I had one before.
  • I like that your blog is called "Fly, Rabbit, Fly." I've been animated flying rabbits for a short.

Thanks for the tutorials.
  • Very cool, Mankoon! Drawing animals is hard. I can't really figure what about the Khang Le piece influenced this one, though.

I subscribed to your blog! I also have a blog, but I don't update it very often. Mostly because I very seldom do anything worth showing -- if I'm not drawing something that's specifically FOR something, I'm usually just practicing various concepts.
  • I can't really figure what about the Khang Le piece influenced this one, though.
    From the linked image I'd say it was the tower in the middle. Oh wait... that's what it says in the blog post!

Nice piece, Mankoon, and I've subscribed to your blog. I expect more in the future.
  • @gomi: Endlessfluff was originally this comic idea i had with a gratuitous amount of cute bunnies and a mix of mafia. The bunnies jump really high too. So the title comes from there.
    Funfetus, What Luke said! Oh, and I'm adding you to the blog roll=D Thanks for watching the blog, guys.
  • edited May 2009
    Funfetus, What Luke said! Oh, and I'm adding you to the blog roll=D Thanks for watching the blog, guys.
    Yeah, I didn't read the post very carefully -- I'm sorry. :( Thanks for adding me!
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited May 2009
    Tonight I did a page trying to work out an "Open source and The Zombie Apocalypse" joke involving Scrym.
    In the end, I just drew this.
    Might develop this into a t-shirt design.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Scott with glasses....hmmm. (grabs pencil) :P
  • What is Rym holding?
  • A butt plug, I presume.
  • Oh Lord give me patience.
  • They seem very serious about what they are delivering. I was hoping it was a mic.
  • edited May 2009
    What is Rym holding?
    A microphone.
    A butt plug, I presume.
    Why does he need one? Rubin spends so much time up there, it probably needs some time to breathe.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • What is Rym holding?
    A microphone.
    One which he isn't holding by the proper handle.
  • edited May 2009
    I was going for one of those portable tape recorder thingies but you are free to interpret it how you wish.

I think we can take this as an insight into Luke's mind.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Kate! If you are going to talk slash, I keep telling you that Rym is the seme!
  • Kate! If you are going to talk slash, I keep telling you that Rym is the seme!
    Ah, I thought she was referring to a head-up-the-arse metaphor. I suppose what you said makes more sense.
  • @Sail -- is that for a record label you're starting up or something? I like the concept -- I'd recommend playing with the proportions a bit, and experimenting with ways to simplify it and make it more iconic.
  • Yep, it is. And that's the goal, eventually. I'm commissioning my friend to create the "finished" version, something simpler and more iconic to use as an imprint on the records.
  • imagesketch 1" /

imagesketch 2" />

imagesketch 3" />

These are possible designs/image material for the Geeknights crew. The first one is a possible poster design (typeface pending). the second is possible material with Rym and Scott posing as Christian Dior and Yves Saint Laurent respectively. The third is some possible designs from out of the blue. The top half is based off a 20's ad and the bottom half is a rough sketch based off some Glasgow Revival prints.

Critiques and suggestions are appreciated!