This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Gonna color this.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited August 2009
    Drawing again properly after quite a long hiatus.
    Edit: I rescanned the image after messing around with the settings.
    Full size here. I'm not sure if Fuuno already means something, EDict didn't turn up anything.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What's that tech like thing on her head? Is she an android?

Growing in abilities more!
  • edited August 2009
    She's pretty much an android though, she can take her brain out and put it in other things. She has the visor on account of having had her eyes, along with most of her sensory organs, removed so they don't get stolen, leaving her with sight and sound from the visor and basic feeling in her hands.
  • @Funfetus
    Try looking at 300, if you want to see that kind of finesse in a cape without sacrificing the American comic style.

Oh, and even though it's anime, look at theGurren Lagann eyecatch collection.Or just pictures of Lord Genome. Heavily shaded things, but very organic at the same time. You could apply some of that aesthetic to the clothes and things on your more American facial/body structure.

I recommend applying more thin-ish lines and less block shading on your capes...more like how you ink other shirts and things. Capes too have areas with just a subtle wrinkle. And instead of having the lines just go out in a solid curve or strait line in whatever direction the cape is blowing, add a bit of crinkle. It takes a little letting loose, and moving a little further away from construction. Out of your comfort zone.
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. When I talk about coming from an American comics background, I don't mean that I'm striving to stay within that style -- just that it's what I grew up with, and what's gotten deep into my head on a subconscious level. Most of my favorite artists these days, and the ones I've been actively trying to absorb influence from are Japanese, French and Italian. Still, when I get lazy or I'm working fast, I drift into a pretty standard Marvel Comics kinda style.

Thanks for the Gurren Lagann video link. That's actually very similar to the sort of stuff that I've been trying to do. My main inspiration for inking and spot blacks the last couple years has been Miwa Shirow, who has a similar style. But like I said, old habits die hard. :)

I'm curious, when you talk about my "flowing drapery", which stuff are you looking at? I can't think of much of that sort of stuff offhand that I've posted.
    I'm the opposite. Highly constructed things like machines and buildings drive me nuts.
    I understand. That stuff used to be a big problem for me, too. I've come to realize lately that if I hate drawing something, it probably means that I'm afraid of it, because I don't really know how to do it. A while back, I really couldn't draw cars at all, so when I had a couple months that I didn't have to draw any pages, I just spent that whole time drawing cars, planes, spaceships, tanks, etc. Now that I'm comfortable with them, It's actually kinda fun.

@Viga -- those cat characters are super cute.
  • Viga - your signature is awesome.
  • That K-ON sketch was pretty damn good. Nice work!
  • edited August 2009
    @ Omnutia
    I really like that mask design. It's very intricate and it catches my interest. I wonder what it's all about. Your sketch is therefore a great success already. Will you do more with it?
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. When I talk about coming from an American comics background, I don't mean that I'm striving to stay within that style -- just that it's what I grew up with, and what's gotten deep into my head on a subconscious level. Most of my favorite artists these days, and the ones I've been actively trying to absorb influence from are Japanese, French and Italian. Still, when I get lazy or I'm working fast, I drift into a pretty standard Marvel Comics kinda style.

Thanks for the Gurren Lagann video link. That's actually very similar to the sort of stuff that I've been trying to do. My main inspiration for inking and spot blacks the last couple years has beenMiwa Shirow, who has a similar style. But like I said, old habits die hard. :)

I'm curious, when you talk about my "flowing drapery", which stuff are you looking at? I can't think of much of that sort of stuff offhand that I've posted.
    I know what you mean about habits die-hard. I think most of us have that problem in one way or another.
    That Dogs manga you linked to was breathtaking. I can see why you're going for that. It's very sensitive lineart, but meshed up with bold black shapes. It's like it's fluid yet controlled. Uhg, now I'm all inspired but I need to go to bed.
    As for the pics of yours with large draping fabric....like...that picture of the old man in robes doing break dancing, or that picture with Krausser's cape, etc.
    I understand. That stuff used to be a big problem for me, too. I've come to realize lately that if I hate drawing something, it probably means that I'm afraid of it, because I don't really know how to do it. A while back, I really couldn't draw cars at all, so when I had a couple months that I didn't have to draw any pages, I just spent that whole time drawing cars, planes, spaceships, tanks, etc. Now that I'm comfortable with them, It's actually kinda fun.

You have such a good work ethic. I did that with hands and feet back when I was in high school...but I have lots of lazy spells. Right now, I'm just trying to do that with men. I can draw them well enough, but too often they look stiff to me.
    I should get to drawing buildings after that. You're right...it'll probably be fun after I get the hang of it. Designing towns could be fun.
    Post edited by Nillia on
  • edited August 2009

That Dogs manga you linked to was breathtaking. I can see why you're going for that. It's very sensitive lineart, but meshed up with bold black shapes. It's like it's fluid yet controlled. Uhg, now I'm all inspired but I need to go to bed.
    Seriously -- Miwa Shirow is incredible. He/she (not sure) has been a HUGE influence on me, though mostly in the way I approach drawing comics, not really in any way that you'd see. Mostly, s/he made me explore more cartoony styles (s/he's not nearly as cartoony as a lot of manga, but a lot more than I was, yet it still looks so grim and serious), as well as inspired me to work in a more open line style, with minimal rendering. I can't do that fine-line stuff, though. I think your composition really needs to be perfect to keep it clear, and I'm not that good yet.
    As for the pics of yours with large draping fabric....like...that picture of the old man in robes doing break dancing, or that picture with Krausser's cape, etc.
    That's what I thought it might've been. Those were both pictures I rushed through in 20 minutes or so. My stuff for publication looks better than that, but I definitely do have issues. I remember running into a point on the Gandalf one where I didn't know quite what do with the robe, and I just said fuck it.

You have such a good work ethic. I did that with hands and feet back when I was in high school...but I have lots of lazy spells. Right now, I'm just trying to do that withmen. I can draw them well enough, but too often they look stiff to me.
    I should get to drawing buildings after that. You're right...it'll probably be fun after I get the hang of it. Designing towns could be fun.
    You know, I didn't have this kind of work ethic when I was younger. I drew a lot, but I wasn't nearly as focused in my study/practice. I actually quit drawing completely for about 7 years before picking it back up again a few years ago. When I got serious again at about 27, I found that I had a lot more patience for the hard work. I suppose the fact that the prospect of being stuck in a menial job for the rest of my life was now very real to me also helped motivate me. :)

It's funny that you mention having trouble drawing men -- I used to have a lot of trouble drawing women. It was because I didn't draw a lot of women -- largely because I didn't want people to look at my sketchbook and think I was pervy. :) Now that I don't care, I've been drawing mostly women for the past few years, to catch up. I still think that women's hips are one of the most difficult subjects in figure drawing. It's such a complicated system of curves and angles.

If you have a solid grasp of perspective, buildings are really pretty easy, because they're mostly angles. Modern cars are a bitch -- they're all curves, but they still need to be dead on in perspective.

EDIT: Do you have a gallery or something somewhere? I'd love to see more of your work.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Drew this while just zoning out.
  • edited August 2009
    Just a-doodling.. [Higher res here.]
  • Man, that looks like one of my sketch pages. What are the letter labels for?
  • I was trying the whole, women kicking ass thing Funfetus likes for the witch story. The letter labels are to keep track of how I move around the page and make it easier to comment on.
  • I like to sketch cute animal characters.
  • edited August 2009
    Nice job hamster-man, you are truly among the manliest of all true men. It'd be nice for people to post more random sketches.

My sister used to know someone who's job was to just draw cute animals and creatures to put on children's clothes and merchandise.
  • Good cute animals, indeed. Although the bunny has a bit of a "please don't hit me again" thing going on...
  • Oh thanks, now I can't think about it being anything other than a child abuse PSA poster.
  • My sister used to know someone who's job was to just draw cute animals and creatures to put on children's clothes and merchandise.
    That definitely sounds like the kind of job I'd love. In a similar vein I've always thought it would be cool to write and illustrate children's books or comics.
  • Seeing this thread reminds me of how much I suck. I was looking through my doodles from last year and I found this.

• Are those blind contour drawings?
  • edited August 2009
    Are those blind contour drawings?
    It certainly makes sense for the first picture, but the second one was drawn with full control of my drawing skill.

Edit: I also found this other one.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • I can't stop laughing.
  • edited August 2009
    More work on my romantic political drama comic about witches.
    [Full res here.]

And here's a throwaway sketch, it's Fuuno again:
  • @Omnutia -- These are looking good. Your lines look more confident -- less sorta feathered.
  • Only when I rub them out and draw back over them.
  • edited August 2009
    Hey Om, you're getting good. Keep doing what you are doing.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Only when I rub them out and draw back over them.
    Cheating! You should be ashamed of yourself.
  • edited August 2009
    @Cheese: Oh snap! Whacha gunna do, sucka!

@Mankoon: Thanks, I'll try and do some more next time I'm sleep deprived again.
  • edited August 2009
    Only when I rub them out and draw back over them.
    You could use a pale blue pencil to sketch out your images and then go over them smoothly with a darker line. The blue pencil marks don't show up when scanned in and if any does read when scanned, it can easily be erased.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Earlier in the summer, Lordyupa commissioned some logos for his show, so here's the first: Manga for the Average Reader.