This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rocket League

It's not too late for us to play this for real. It's clearly a hot game. I played it every night since getting it that I didn't have something else to do.

http://gfycat.com/ThirdDeadHart

Comments

• I have it on ps4. I was half tempted to get a PC copy when there was a pricing error on GMG yesterday but by the time I decided to do it it was fixed. However apparently there is PC ps4 cross play. I haven't checked it out at all though. I might just say fuck it and drop 20 on it because I've put like 40 hours into this game I got for free.
  • I bought it a few days ago, thought I would play it for 15 minutes and ended up playing it for hours, have exams at the moment so can't play every day.

I'm so bad at the flying mechanic, I can only go in a straight line.
  • sK0pe said:

I bought it a few days ago, thought I would play it for 15 minutes and ended up playing it for hours, have exams at the moment so can't play every day.

Most people can only go in a straight line.

I'm using XBox gamepad. Are pros using mouse/keyboard?
  • I'm using my PS4 controller.
  • I would have to imagine people use a controller.

The third place leaderboard position was PS4. https://rocketleaguestats.com/
  • edited August 2015
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I fell in the standings some because I decided to play a few too many games on a Saturday with randos. I was at 475 for a bit.

• Apreche said:

sK0pe said:

I bought it a few days ago, thought I would play it for 15 minutes and ended up playing it for hours, have exams at the moment so can't play every day.

As far as I've been able to find out, almost every pro - if not every, but I don't know for sure - uses a controller of some sort.

• Churba said:

Apreche said:

sK0pe said:

As far as I've been able to find out, almost every pro - if not every, but I don't know for sure - uses a controller of some sort.

Yeah, I figured there was no benefit to mouse/keybaord for this game since you have a limited turning radius, unlike an FPS.
  • These seem like they give some decent tips.

• This is what top tier looks like.

• TIL when the clock runs out the game won't end until the ball touches the ground. If you keep juggling it, you still have a chance to score.
  • edited August 2015
    Apreche said:

TIL when the clock runs out the game won't end until the ball touches the ground. If you keep juggling it, you still have a chance to score.

Literally exactly how the final game of the championships was decided this time around - Cosmic Aftershock (Kronovi, Sadjunior, and Gibbs) vs Kings Of Urban (Gambit, Fireburner, Kyle Masc).

Just go here for the tournament-winning shot.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Alright, there are enough people I know into this game now. I'm going to begin budgeting for it.
  • Same. This looks fun as hell.
  • I still use the keyboard and mouse because my muscle memory for gamepad is bad.
  • I was also told yesterday by a coworker that if you hold Square (or X on Xbox controller) you will change your yaw angle to roll angle.

I don't remember them ever mentioning that, maybe in one of the tutorials.
  • edited August 2015
    If you've preordered the Steam controller you now own Rocket League (and Portal 2 I guess).

Also if you got the Steam link too.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • 10% off for the next 48 hours in celebration of hitting a million copies.
  • Fun facts - A Psy Net avatar means they're on a different platform. A question mark or regular steam/PS4 avatar means they're on the same platform as you are.
  • I'd heard that before but I wasn't quite convinced that was the case considering there was a setting specifically to allow PC players and mine was turned off.
  • edited September 2015
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • No esport will ever take off until there is either:

a: space on the screen dedicated to seeing reactions of players.

b: time in the game dedicated to showing the reactions of the players.
  • I still want GOOD COMMENTATORS my goodness in all these clips I want to punch whomever is talking because they are giving you nothing but sideline cheering for the team and telling me what I saw was cool.
  • My problem with that video is that there's no emotion on screen. There's only emotion in the commentary. I have no context about how "big" any of these points are by looking at the pictures.
  • It's mostly the skill involved in the shots themselves. None of them are really tide turning or anything.
  • No esport will ever take off until there is either:

a: space on the screen dedicated to seeing reactions of players.

b: time in the game dedicated to showing the reactions of the players.

E-sports have already taken off.
  • A patch coming in a week or two will officially start Season 1. It will also let PC users filter out those crappy PS4 players.
  • Polygon said:

... and to search for new ranked matches at the endgame screen.

THANK GOD.
  • MATATAT said:

Polygon said:

... and to search for new ranked matches at the endgame screen.

THANK GOD.