This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rocket League

Comments

• Apparently you have a limited time after your initial jump before you can dodge. This tutorial taught me the goods on that, and other things. Going to do a lot of backwards dodging from now on.

• edited September 2015
    Apparently you can't Rocket League during a Steam outage.

Also, this game needs some real policing. Reporting, banning, etc. is direly needed. Just played a game where some troll constantly made annoying noises. Worse than Rym ever did. Basically no consequences for being a shitbag.

Well, there was one consequence. I won the game winning OT-goal and told him he could get fucked! Didn't hear too many noises after that.

I had an idea the other day. You know how in real sports when you fuck up you get fined or suspended? Let's make a game. It's free. It's online. It's awesome. Rocket League would be a great choice. Despite being free, everyone needs to provide a credit card or other payment method. Otherwise, account closed, no game for you.

If you fuck up. If you troll. If you cheat. If you say something bad. If you misbehave in any way. We fine you. Serious fines. Thousands of dollars, go fuck yourself.

Oh, you stopped payment? I don't give a fuck. I'm sending the collection agency after your ass. Oh, you signed up with a fake identity and a stolen credit card? Good, now I can send the actual police after you. Oh, you are in some weird lawless country where the cops don't care? Good, I can send bad people to murder you in your sleep, and nobody will give a fuck.

All the good people will play the game in peace and harmony.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That idea is so Scott
  • It's a good idea.

Rocket League does have a problem in that there's no real way to report or block shitbirds. I had a guy a few games ago FLIPPING THE FUCK OUT in the text chat the whole game. It was some serious MOBA nonsense. Pretty racist too.

In CounterStrike, you can trivially report that stuff in-game without affecting your play.
  • Rym said:

It's a good idea.

Rocket League does have a problem in that there's no real way to report or block shitbirds. I had a guy a few games ago FLIPPING THE FUCK OUT in the text chat the whole game. It was some serious MOBA nonsense. Pretty racist too.

In CounterStrike, you can trivially report that stuff in-game without affecting your play.

I think you might be able to block their Steam account from communication and that will cease voice and text that uses Steam voice chat. Not tested though but I think I used it for Counterstrike before Global Offensive and for Left 4 Dead. They may have changed it since.
  • edited September 2015
    It turns out Rocket League very easily passed the immediate esport test of "Can me and my girlfriend watch this for one minute and understand what is going on?"

What it gets right, purely from a new spectator point of view:

- Even when the camera follows a car, it doesn't show what is in front of the car, but is centered on the action.

- Very obvious timing and scoring.

- Based on real life sports so the basic premise is very accessible.

- Obvious colours for teams, with the team names next to the colours at the bottom of the screen. Even when the colours switched when going to a new map, the names were still clear next to the colours.

- Also obvious colour coding of the arena, so you always know if the ball is next to the blue goal or the orange goal.

- When switching view from one player to the next, a big circle menu selector appears in the middle of the screen. This is super handy! Not really to see the name of the player being selected, as it's not so visible in the low quality stream, but just to give a clear indication that the viewpoint has changed. This is way easier than CS:GO, which can switch between players immediately without such a blatant sign right in the center of the screen.

- A pause in the action after about 5 minutes.

- The camera angle from the top of the arena makes a nice change from the player point of view.

- Best of 5 round matches means there are possibly 5 down-to-the-last-second moments of drama and buzzer-beating plays. Basketball could learn a lot from this format!

What Major League Gaming added:

- Exciting and informative commentary. Without this, while the action in itself would be intrinsically entertaining and interesting, we would have had no idea what level of play we were watching. This is important for esports, because the audience isn't visible or audible. With live sports, it's crowd size and noise level is a very handy indication of the importance of the event in question.

On that last point, I think a spectator esport should have some kind of online-viewer-to-onscreen-excitement analogue.

So far, this exists not within the game itself, but on the streaming site in the form of viewer numbers and the live chat. The action heats up? Live chat scrolls by faster. More viewers? The number increases a bit.

What I'd love to see built into Rocket League is some kind of server to Twitch or YouTube API function. Have the spectator client see the arena fill up with spectators as the viewer number increases, and/or dynamically increase the cheering volume based on the last 20 seconds of live chat window activity.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Apreche said:

Apparently you can't Rocket League during a Steam outage.

Also, this game needs some real policing. Reporting, banning, etc. is direly needed. Just played a game where some troll constantly made annoying noises. Worse than Rym ever did. Basically no consequences for being a shitbag.

Well, there was one consequence. I won the game winning OT-goal and told him he could get fucked! Didn't hear too many noises after that.

I had an idea the other day. You know how in real sports when you fuck up you get fined or suspended? Let's make a game. It's free. It's online. It's awesome. Rocket League would be a great choice. Despite being free, everyone needs to provide a credit card or other payment method. Otherwise, account closed, no game for you.

If you fuck up. If you troll. If you cheat. If you say something bad. If you misbehave in any way. We fine you. Serious fines. Thousands of dollars, go fuck yourself.

Oh, you stopped payment? I don't give a fuck. I'm sending the collection agency after your ass. Oh, you signed up with a fake identity and a stolen credit card? Good, now I can send the actual police after you. Oh, you are in some weird lawless country where the cops don't care? Good, I can send bad people to murder you in your sleep, and nobody will give a fuck.

All the good people will play the game in peace and harmony.

First, horrible idea on it's most basic level. So, let's say someone is just really really bad at video games and ends up fucking up so bad that people see it as intentional trolling. Do people like that deserve to get fined?

Also you probably need more than thousand dollars to hire people for checking the chat- and voice-logs for every possible language in the world. Or are you saying that only English speakers should get a troll-free game experience.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2015
    Apsup said:

First, horrible idea on it's most basic level. So, let's say someone is just really really bad at video games and ends up fucking up so bad that people see it as intentional trolling. Do people like that deserve to get fined?

That person shouldn't be playing in any high tier or pro games. Also, if they're truly so bad that intelligent people seriously consider them to be trolling, they should probably be kicked down to the minor leagues and banned from competitive play (at least temporarily). Who said all the sanctions had to be monetary?
    Apsup said:

Also you probably need more than thousand dollars to hire people for checking the chat- and voice-logs for every possible language in the world. Or are you saying that only English speakers should get a troll-free game experience.

Valve handles this trivially. Players report bad behavior in-game with a defined interface. They also have to report the nature of the problem. But, no action is taking against the player automatically: a human looks at the replay(s) and complaint history as-needed.

So, obviously, you use technology and heuristics to filter how much actually gets to the stage of "review by the league." It would be laughable to expect humans to watch every single game.

Moreso, humans would at best only be watching competitive/ranked play, since that's where the sanctions would matter the most.

As for languages, if someone is being abusive in a language that is not widely spoken in the game, then it won't affect enough players to matter. If enough players understand the language and complain, then it's easily dealt with the same as with English.

If someone is being so annoying that they are still annoying even irrespective of language used, then the normal process handles it anyway.

This isn't a big "gotcha" problem to solve. It's actually pretty easy to solve. And, the reality is that only a handful of languages are used with any frequency in most individual games.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Yeah, I'm not talking about surprising casual players with huge fines. I'm talking about a true league that people enter fully knowing the consequences. This is for players who are committed to playing seriously and competitively with no nonsense. I fully expect that few fines would ever be handed out since nobody who would get fined would bother to sign up in the first place.
    Even when the camera follows a car, it doesn't show what is in front of the car, but is centered on the action.
    Luke, this is because the player happened to be using ball-cam. If that player turned off their ball-cam, you would see whatever is directly in front of that car. You are seeing what that player sees.
  • Apreche said:

Even when the camera follows a car, it doesn't show what is in front of the car, but is centered on the action.
    Luke, this is because the player happened to be using ball-cam. If that player turned off their ball-cam, you would see whatever is directly in front of that car. You are seeing what that player sees.

Yes, I understand this. That's why I wrote "it doesn't show what is in front of the car" rather than "it doesn't show what the player sees".

Contrasting this with a CS:GO, where a player could be involved in some action, but their default view is what is in front of them. In this case, if a player throws a flash bang, then ducks and looks off to the side, we don't get to see the action, we get to see what the player sees when they duck and look to the side.

It just turns out that the best view for the player in Rocket League is also the best view for the spectator. The totally open arena means there is never an obstructed view, and as the arena is small, the action is never too far away and small on screen to not at least have an idea what is going on.
  • Apreche said:

Yes, I understand this. That's why I wrote "it doesn't show what is in front of the car" rather than "it doesn't show what the player sees".

Contrasting this with a CS:GO, where a player could be involved in some action, but their default view is what is in front of them. In this case, if a player throws a flash bang, then ducks and looks off to the side, we don't get to see the action, we get to see what the player sees when they duck and look to the side.

It just turns out that the best view for the player in Rocket League is also the best view for the spectator. The totally open arena means there is never an obstructed view, and as the arena is small, the action is never too far away and small on screen to not at least have an idea what is going on.Not everyone uses ball cam all the time, and it's not always the best view for the player. You just happened to watch someone who was using it a lot, like I do.

You should maybe play some Rocket League before you keep talking about it like you know things.
  • Luke's points for the spectation experience were pretty spot on.
  • edited September 2015
    Apreche said:

It just turns out that the best view for the player in Rocket League is also the best view for the spectator. The totally open arena means there is never an obstructed view, and as the arena is small, the action is never too far away and small on screen to not at least have an idea what is going on.

Not everyone uses ball cam all the time, and it's not always the best view for the player. You just happened to watch someone who was using it a lot, like I do.
    In all the matches I've spectated, 98% of the time the camera is following a player's car, either the player is using the ball cam, or the ball and the other players are visible in front of the car. So while you may technically be correct that not everyone uses the ball cam all the time, the result is the same for the matches I have watched.

And by "spectated" I mean I've watched them as an online stream from Major League Gaming, not using a client.
    Apreche said:

You should maybe play some Rocket League before you keep talking about it like you know things.

No.

Do you not get it? I'm experimenting with getting into an esport as a SPECTATOR and not as a PLAYER. The entire reason I am analyzing these things is to convey what it is like to enjoy a video game despite never having played it.

I'm contrasting this experience with me watching CS:GO because I already know all the maps and how it works and I'm fine with camera switching and all that. My girlfriend was utterly confused by that.

With Rocket League? No problems for either.

Again, the round selection menu that appears in the middle of the screen might be a clunky interface, and admittedly looks a bit ugly, and on a low quality stream you can't see the player names... but it is invaluable as a guide to "the camera is going to switch... now..."

This is exactly the kind of big sign to the inexpert viewer that CS:GO doesn't have when switching between players. And this is why, of all the video games I've seen so far, Rocket League is the best spectator sport yet.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • In all the matches I've spectated, 98% of the time the camera is following a player's car, either the player is using the ball cam, or the ball and the other players are visible in front of the car. So while you may technically be correct that not everyone uses the ball cam all the time, the result is the same for the matches I have watched.

Nah, you're right - people use ball cam way too much.

When you see people just kind of shaking about under the ball, barely moving - a lot of the time, it's because they're in ball-cam, and can't see their car in relation to the field or the other players. Some people straight up don't know that the circle on the ground also gives you a height indicator.

• I know it gives a height indicator, but I can't use it to judge the timing to jump at the ball.
  • Apreche said:

I know it gives a height indicator, but I can't use it to judge the timing to jump at the ball.

I'm still getting the hang of it, I'm hitting maybe 25-30% of the time. But, still feels like an achievement since it was a slow climb from 0% of the time.

Generally, I prefer to leave the melee under the ball to everyone else, and just pick it up when it inevitably comes flying out of the clusterfuck.
  • edited September 2015
    The only issue I have with the radial menu is that it often gets in the way of the action.
    Churba said:

In all the matches I've spectated, 98% of the time the camera is following a player's car, either the player is using the ball cam, or the ball and the other players are visible in front of the car. So while you may technically be correct that not everyone uses the ball cam all the time, the result is the same for the matches I have watched.

Nah, you're right - people use ball cam way too much.

When you see people just kind of shaking about under the ball, barely moving - a lot of the time, it's because they're in ball-cam, and can't see their car in relation to the field or the other players. Some people straight up don't know that the circle on the ground also gives you a height indicator.

I was experimenting a lot with different set ups and I've sort of found one that works somewhat consistently for me. I had entirely switched away from using ball cam and only used it sparingly in certain situations. That was until I saw a tutorial video where Kronovi basically said there is no reason to ever turn off ball cam. That probably doesn't work for everyone, and I'm training myself to turn it off in certain scoring situations, but I can kinda see his point. It allows you to have information on the ball at all times. One of his points was something that would only be something advanced players could manage but you can stop aerial balls with a backwards car using the ball cam. You basically can't do this without it.

Also I had a game yesterday where I was so close to getting a crazy aerial shot from the left of goal. I tried the weird spinning that you see from higher aerials and it ended up hitting the just above the top left corner of the goal.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Apreche said:

(Scott's really terrible idea)

If you're gonna fine me thousands of dollars for swearing or misbehaving, you'd better be paying me tens of thousands of dollars for winning.
  • Apreche said:

If you're gonna fine me thousands of dollars for swearing or misbehaving, you'd better be paying me tens of thousands of dollars for winning.
    You get to play this game for free. Why are you harassing other players and cheating?
  • edited September 2015
    Apreche said:

Apreche said:

You get to play this game for free. Why are you harassing other players and cheating?
    Risk versus reward. Forget cheating (those folks need to be permabanned). If I'm taking the risk that a slip of the tongue over voice chat in a moment of frustration is going to cost me a significant amount of money, then that risk needs to be offset by an even larger amount of money. Getting a game that might normally be even $60 for free is not a sufficient offset because even fucking up once destroys the gain of the free game.

No. Those kinds of fines can exist in professional sports like the NFL or NBA because those players are being paid an incredible amount of money.

And from the other side of the equation, if you expect people to play a game that can accidentally cost them more money than a brand new console or PC, you aren't going to have very many players. At which point, the cost of operating that game is going to FAR exceed any money you get through fines.

Scott, your idea is bad from a multitude of directions.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited September 2015
    Jumping on the bandwagon here.

Pretty good round for me. Nowhere near pro, and both the opposing team and my team were sort of derpy. Still, two nice goals, a couple of nice moves, not too shabby.

Also, nothing is more infuriating than having a moron teammate ram you out of a good shot.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • GMG sent me a 32% off code so I'm jumping on this ship before it sails.
  • If I'm taking the risk that a slip of the tongue over voice chat in a moment of frustration is going to cost me a significant amount of money

For what it's worth, pros are cursing up and down the field/court/whatever all the time. They only really get fined for public statements.
  • Initial impressions: this game has some hilarious lag problems.
  • Pegu said:

Initial impressions: this game has some hilarious lag problems.

I have never encountered that.
  • Pegu said:

Make sure to set search for just your region.
  • Rym said:

Pegu said:

I have never encountered that.
    Yeah, it's probably my connection. But the things this game does when it lags are pretty absurd.
  • edited September 2015
    Managed to get a legit aerial goal (as in the game recognizes it as an aerial goal). Part of it was just luck because I managed to hit it towards the goal and then two people ended up whiffing on it despite it kinda slowly going towards the goal. There's still plenty of times when I don't execute very well but I'm getting much better at managing aerial maneuvers.
    Post edited by MATATAT on