This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX West 2016

Comments

• I just realized PAX is in two weeks. There goes my productivity.
  • I've not had a chance to play twilight struggle but I want to. I just lack a copy.
  • There's a Steam and iOS version that I kinda want to try of it. Mostly because I don't think I want to actually play the board game version of it or try and convince others to play it.
  • edited August 2016
    Despite such high demand, it's surprisingly hard to find someone who needs these extra PAX tickets. PAX Pass Exchange is full of people trying to sell, some below face value. The Seattle Craigslist also has full sets posted at below face value. I don't think my two sets at face value will get any attention.

I guess for those who want to go, but didn't already get tickets, it's too late to make a plan.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Despite selling out really fast still. I felt like the demand for pax this year was a little less than last year.
  • It feels like nearby hotel capacity is the limiting factor this time.
  • okeefe said:

It feels like nearby hotel capacity is the limiting factor this time.

As is the case with most cons.

East has a lot more day-trippers who are day-tripping on purpose, so the extreme hotel limitations probably don't affect demand as much. Plus, you can book transit there right now for cheap still.

Lot harder to book a flight to Seattle at the last minute.

• Rym said:

It's not just more expensive? They'll actually run out of flights?
  • Road trip to Washington? I mean it takes dozens of hours of driving time but you avoid having to buy late tickets. If you're in the situation where time is much less valuable than monies... I mean, I guess.
  • okeefe said:

Rym said:

It's not just more expensive? They'll actually run out of flights?
    The direct flights from New York sell out most years, or else have a handful of expensive tickets at bad times.
  • Anyone need another roommate? The past few cons I've been to, I've been rooming with Tim Fowers (the board game designer who did Burgle Bros and Paperback). He got invited onto a panel at PAX West and got his flight, but doesn't have a place to crash. I can vouch for him as all-around great roommate.
  • Scott, I have a friend-of-a-friend who's interested in buying a badge set.
  • Scott, I have a friend-of-a-friend who's interested in buying a badge set.

Ok, hold up. Someone actually e-mailed me via the pass exchange, so we'll see how that goes.
  • Did PAX already contact the Omeganauts? Did I miss that tweet?
  • Rochelle said:

Did PAX already contact the Omeganauts? Did I miss that tweet?

I haven't heard anything about it yet. I've also picked up the phone a few times when it was just spammers...
  • I already offloaded my set on a badge swap when they came in, as I was worried I wouldn't get face value. If they didn't call Omeganauts yet and they pull my number, I'll just pay whatever it takes and hop on a plane.
  • Doesn't it feel good to be at that age to where you can do shit like that and not have it hurt? AHHH.

Being 20ish is overrated. 30s is where it's at. =P

OH mans, SOON. SOON.
  • Apreche said:
    Looks like Olive 8 is tabletop again. Sad I couldn't get a room there this year for maximum laziness.
  • Yeah. That's gonna suck. I keep trying to check for openings but nothing
  • Ahhhhhhhh my Olive bed. Ahhh.
  • Don't overlook the fact that PAX West now has an "epic games" room set aside for playing big/long games. Think Twilight Emperium.
  • "Games like... Food Chain Magnate..."

I guess we're an outlier, but we reliably finish games of FCM in under two hours, even if someone starts a price war or bids $300. Most games are 60-90 minutes.
  • My game of FCM at BGGcon only took just over 2 hours. 3 of us had never played, and we were all dead tired. The epic games room deal is that they will have those games available/set up all weekend. Sometimes they will have scheduled starts, sometimes it will be a Freeplay room. Perhaps FCM just has this reputation as hard to get into, so they want to offer a scheduled game of it.
  • Would anyone be able to do me a solid and score one of the Pax Aus Indie Roadshow pins for me, please?
  • edited August 2016
    Hahahahahaha, well actually I don't care for rain since I will be walking around a lot.

Oh thank goodness for checking a week prior. There were openings at the Sheraton. Got a room. So much closer than the Crowne Plaza. Still no Olive 8, but I'll take it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • So Facebook was kinda helpful today in that it reminded me that this year will be my 10th PAX West by pointing me to the photo album I posted after my first one. Then I cringed as I read all the comments I made on the photos at the time. I'm so glad I've grown up since then.
  • edited August 2016
    Unfortunately have to cancel going to PAX at the very last minute due to an unforeseen financial emergency. :'( Have extra fun for me while you guys are there!
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I have a PAX East hoodie, and it is good. Do I need two? Most of the hoodies I have at home are getting cycled out.