This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• The best advice, even if you're a seasoned TF/CTF/WF player, is to pick 2 heroes and really grok them. Then expand to a wider set for emergencies.

Only later should you play every character, even the ones you hate, just enough to understand what they can do to you.
  • see: every fighting game :tongue:
  • I should probably play a medic, I was fucking boss at that in BF3/4.
  • edited June 2016
    Don't be afraid to change your hero up to meet the situation, too many times people just bash against the wall, when picking Winston will win you the game :-p

It's amazing how often that Gorilla wins a round because someone switched to him in the last minute of the match.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited June 2016
    However, if you main Bastion, I will call you boring. He's so effective at noob/intermediate levels that playing on a team with a competent one makes the game boring. (And makes me feel kinda bad for the other team.)

On another note, I've actually taken to watching videos of pro-level Overwatch. I've been taking cues from them for a couple clever positionings and for when to push/fall back. Those players are waaaay good.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Symmetra is a good character to play if you like support roles. Strategically setting up her mini-sentrys can provide great areal denial in enclosed spaces and her teleporter is fantastic for when the spawn point is a ways away from where the action is, effectively removing the ebb and flow of the battle.
  • Lucio is so good. I've clocked 3 times as many hours on Lucio as any other character, and he is so good in team fights. Also effective at flanking like a mini Tracer or Genji.
  • I'm trying to git gud at Tracer. Not competent, but one of those "oh fuck that dude" levels of gud.
  • Lucio close-in on a payload attack is SUPER BEST at countering Mei rushes.

If Bastion will work, I'll go Bastion. It's the realm of people who still need to get better, or people who use it to completely dominate a map. But I'll rarely run Bastion for an entire match.
  • On Lucio vs Mei:

1. If she ults, speed boost and everyone can GTFO. Then switch to heal and maybe save the people who didn't get out.

2. If she sneaks up for an inside flank, bounce her away from her target before he freezes

3. If she's picking from a distance, pick right back. Lucio can fuck up turrets/widowmakers with ease if played carefully, let alone a tricky Mei.

I'm finding that when I'm Lucio on a payload, I spend a lot of the map circling the payload and get huge objective times. That's not what I expected to be doing with him, but it's super effective. You can wallride some surfaces of the payload as well!
  • Rym said:

The best advice, even if you're a seasoned TF/CTF/WF player, is to pick 2 heroes and really grok them. Then expand to a wider set for emergencies.

Only later should you play every character, even the ones you hate, just enough to understand what they can do to you.

If one of those heroes is all about building static defenses, the other hero should probably be more mobile.
  • I main Zarya and Pharrah, but I've been trying to get better at Roadhog and Symmetra recently. If need be, I'll play a competent Lucio or Mercy.
  • Looking at the heroes, I'll probably play Mercy. Reviving people is my jam.
  • I just like rotating to whoever I feel like playing. Although I've definitely played Bastion the least (maybe like 2-3 games). But I mostly gravitate towards the harder characters just because I find them more interesting.
  • Rym said:

I'm finding that when I'm Lucio on a payload, I spend a lot of the map circling the payload and get huge objective times. That's not what I expected to be doing with him, but it's super effective. You can wallride some surfaces of the payload as well!

If the enemy team isn't paying attention or isn't great at aiming, you can wallride around the payload on attack and maintain overtime for a surprisingly long time.

Lucio jumps farthest when he uses his "E" with speed boost. You can use that to cross the moat on Lijang Tower - Garden.

You can wallride forever on top of the bell on Hanamura point A. You can also wallride through the hole that the snipers/Pharah use with some difficulty.

You can wallride around the left on Volskaya Industries point A to flank / backdoor capture, but you will want to practice. You can wallride around the right on point B for some good angles to take out turrets. You can also get enough height to climb most of the low platforms, but it will require a 90 degree turn. I have used that to sneak up and alt-fire snipers/junkrat onto the ground.

You can climb almost everything on Ilios - Ruins to switch between low and high.

There are also some good wallrides on Nepal. You can cross the deadly pits on Village but you'll want to practice. On Sanctum, you can climb through the hole in the ceiling next to the point. You can also run around the outside of the level to get to the enemy spawn.
  • Lucio is so fun to play too bad anytime I want to play him someone has already grabbed him, Can't wait till a Lucio exclusive Brawl :-p
  • Sounds like people are learning Tribes style ski routes for Lucio on these maps.
  • Looking at the heroes, I'll probably play Mercy. Reviving people is my jam.

I'm playing Mercy less. Lucio and her almost have equal playtime. She's great for rezzes during final moments of payload.

Still need to improve on Lucio. I'm getting there. Always use him when it's race to the objective. (Ilios, Lijang Tower, Nepal)

Your team has to be good on attack if you start out with Symmetra, otherwise I feel it's a waste.

I'm trying to improve my Mei skills. Loving more and more of Reinhardt and Torbjorn.
  • Let's plan some "custom" games this week/weekend. We have enough people to do a 6v6.

I like grouping with y'all, but I want to also experience murdering you.
  • Rym said:

Let's plan some "custom" games this week/weekend. We have enough people to do a 6v6.

Yes. That would be awesome.
  • Rym said:

Let's plan some "custom" games this week/weekend. We have enough people to do a 6v6.

I'm in.
  • Only if I can experience murdering you :wink:
  • James and I would be in this weekend if kids are asleep.
  • Rym said:

Beats getting killed by a smug Reaper player over and over.
  • I love Hanzo and play him where I can, but his lack of escape make him feel real weak at actually defending once they start pushing in. I end up dying because I can't retreat outside of running up walls. It's also really hard to go against a widowmaker because hitscan is better than projectiles, and her wallhacks lets her pop you instantly.
  • Had fun playing with some of you tonight. Definitely game for more this weekend (I should have a mic set up by then). I'm SnktySnake#1694.
  • This weekend or tonight, let's get some Custom games going. 6v6 among all of us friends. I want to FIGHT against you guys.
  • I'll take the opportunity to boost my stats against some chumps if you wish.