This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Rochelle said:

I like playing vs. Hard AI when trying to learn a class/character. Turns out their hard is pretty difficult. Better than playing against pubs, imo.

They are basically aim-bot. Very punishing.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Andrew said:
    Lol, probably because you need to be pretty accurate to take his turret out effectively and that's probably very difficult to do on controller. My minor time (during open weekend) with PS4 I was pretty dissatisfied with the console version comparatively. However they try to make up for it a lot with aim assist. I was wrecking house with Hanzo. I'm not super great with him on PC, even when everyone else was garbage at the game.
  • Been watching map strategy guides, such as this playlist and this one.
  • I wish the Cynical Nerds guy would do more of those. He's very good at it. Not familiar with the second list but def gonna give it a look.
  • If you told me 15 years ago that a game was going to come out in 2016 which would evoke all of the feels I had in the late 90s re: FPS gaming, I would have assumed you were an evil djinn trying to trick me.
  • ...Would you have still taken the wish?
  • OMG Really???????

There is no way an ESports master would defile themselves by using a console controller.
  • Halo Tournaments.
  • edited June 2016

Halo Tournaments.

Not esports. At best it's Junior Varsity
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

Halo Tournaments.

No TRUE E-Sportsman plays Halo.
    FTFY
  • Who knows, maybe she's playing Dark Souls.
    And yes, no true e-sportsman plays an FPS using a controller.
  • Sorry Vic. Gonna have to side with the idea that no true scotsman would do that.

Notice the plethora of CS:GO, Overwatch, and even TF2 pro tours vs the lack of a Halo one.
  • edited June 2016
    Neito said:

Sorry Vic. Gonna have to side with the idea that no true scotsman would do that.

Notice the plethora of CS:GO, Overwatch, and even TF2 pro tours vs the lack of a Halo one.

Did ya even google? I mean, really, did ya?

You think the flagship FPS of the number 2 console didn't have tournaments or championships? You know the multiplayer mode for Halo 5 was basically made FOR tourneys, right? That that was the biggest point behind the elite controller?

I think keyboard and mice are better inputs too but they're not the only tools in the shed. Moreover, do your research before opening your mouths.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Also lets not forget COD.

(Okay let's forget it)
  • Some more ameizing games tonight.
  • edited June 2016
    Some really ameizing games tonight!
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • In other news, I should try cosplaying Cardboard Box D.Va for a con sometime.
  • I got not one, but two quality tracer POTGs today. I don't know how, I'm awful with tracer.
  • I played last night with some old college friends, who have put a ton of time into the game. In the level 80 range (I can't even imagine the # of hours that takes), and I noticed that when I party up with them, the matchmaking ups the opponent skill by a significant amount.

I had some good performances early on, but I ended the night with a string of matches where it felt like I had no impact on the outcome, and was just getting smoked every time I poked my head into the fray. Had to shake that off. Played 1 round before work and set a personal Pharah record with 27 eliminations.
  • Overwatch is the hotness now. I have a panel slot open at ConnectiCon Friday morning at like 11am.

Considering recycling slides from THIS talk, adding a bunch of FPS stuff, and making an Overwatch panel.

• Overwatch for me is so satisfying because I dabbled with the late 90s/early 2000s FPSs, and I did enjoy them, but I never got into a groove with them. My friends were all on consoles, I didn't go to LAN parties or play online, and I was pretty bad at them to boot. I spent my time playing RTS games, SIM games, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, etc. Looking back, I always wish I'd have jumped in on stuff like Tribes 2, Counterstrike, etc.

I tried along the way here and there. I played Alien vs Predator 2 for a while. Years later, Team Fortress 2. Neither very satisfying, and again, I continued sucking. But I've always been very good at video games! Better than all my local friends! Why can't I click the heads?!

Overwatch's diversity of character play styles, quality map design, and well-tuned matchmaking (to keep the learning curve at an appropriate difficulty) gives you the space to explore and figure out what you are good at. I'm at a point where I regularly have twice as many eliminations as deaths, and have an appreciation for the game where I applaud the opposing team on a loss.

I feel the same way about Overwatch as I did about Splatoon. That game was amazing (and still is). It owned my Summer last year. I put a hundred hours in and reached A rank before forcing myself to retire. Although it's 3rd person and on console, I get similar vibes where your intelligence and strategic decisions matter just as much as raw shooting skill.
  • Matt said:

your intelligence and strategic decisions matter just as much as raw shooting skill.

I cannot emphasize this enough. I have played too many games (I'm looking at you A-B objective attack) where the team takes the main, most heavily guarded path, fails to adapt to the opposing hero lineup, and spends the entire game individually throwing themselves at a brick wall.

• Had a really fun game last night where the other team went full D.Va. I immediately switched to Zarya and saw their entire gimmick build fall apart. They couldn't make the transition from cheese to real team and failed to win the match.
  • See the stats of yourself, your friends, and others: https://www.overbuff.com/
  • edited June 2016
    This is a source as well. http://masteroverwatch.com/

Edit: I now have a dick-hat.
    Post edited by ThatGent on
  • image Hero Counter cheat sheet
  • And these columns mean?
  • Hero and the three heroes that counter it.