This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• Gonna get the rust from not playing last week off tonight and then do my placement matches, then I'm up.
  • I did a thing!

You clearly know what you are talking about in the video and you give good visuals that reinforce the spoken word and you did a good job in editing. I want to watch the other parts when they come out.

But I HATE the fact that you literally took the "guy behind the podium" visual and color-swapped it to appropriate it. I understand that you modeled the video after Extra Credits (who themselves took the style of video from Zero Punctuation), but the fact that you took the "guy behind the podium" graphic makes it look like a straight rip-off regardless of you calling it a "homage" to Extra Credits. It's as if Extra Credits had not made their own "core" graphics but simply took Yahtzee's "trilby guy sitting at a computer desk" for it.
  • edited July 2016
    chaosof99 said:

I did a thing!

You clearly know what you are talking about in the video and you give good visuals that reinforce the spoken word and you did a good job in editing. I want to watch the other parts when they come out.

But I HATE the fact that you literally took the "guy behind the podium" visual and color-swapped it to appropriate it. I understand that you modeled the video after Extra Credits (who themselves took the style of video from Zero Punctuation), but the fact that you took the "guy behind the podium" graphic makes it look like a straight rip-off regardless of you calling it a "homage" to Extra Credits. It's as if Extra Credits had not made their own "core" graphics but simply took Yahtzee's "trilby guy sitting at a computer desk" for it.
    Yeah, no, that's valid. But that was also kinda the point. I wanted it to be 100% obvious what channel I was referencing. Using their style is a one-off thing just for that particular video. That being said, my own style is one podium away from being a live action recreation of their style anyways. For now, it's a budget version of Idea Channel's style. XD Really, though, if I was a better artist, I might have made it a bit more my own (video me has short hair where real me has long hair), but I am a SUPER shitty artist and that video took me three weeks to do as it is.

In my defense though, I did redraw everything you see in the video (made obvious by the shittiness of it). Nothing is a direct copy.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I fell from 42 to 36 and am in need of an Overwatch breather.
  • Playing with randos in competitive...

20% of games are good: team effort wins or loses
    40% of games I win: I am definitely carrying
    40% of games I lose: I am definitely carrying

I don't want to play competitive except with you guys on my team now. I don't want to risk my precious 51 on that bottom tier.
  • It would be nice if there was a way for the lose or win to count for more depending on how much you crushed it. I know if you end up with a team with lower ranked people it places you as the underdog and you get hurt less. .... Seems to always be on the underdog team :-p)
  • Everyone wants that, but I think it would be bad for the game. The competitive side of this game is really designed for organized teams to compete against eachother: not for strangers to cobble together a strategy in-game.

It would actually make sense to require everyone in competitive games to be in groups.
  • It's a magical thing to see. Normal people experiencing a full frontal lobotomy when queuing for competitive mode.
  • That's really good and hilariously bad at the same time.
  • edited July 2016
    Penis doodle patch made me lol
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on

• Great, now the healers can miss too. ;)
  • Rym said:

Playing with randos in competitive...

20% of games are good: team effort wins or loses
    40% of games I win: I am definitely carrying
    40% of games I lose: I am definitely carrying

I don't want to play competitive except with you guys on my team now. I don't want to risk my precious 51 on that bottom tier.

I'm still in placement matches, but I usually feel like I'm the second-best person on my team rather than the best one. Except for a King's Row match where I was definitely playing the best of my team and we lost horribly.
  • Geoff said:

Great, now the healers can miss too. ;)

Be a nice change from just being missing...

• Also yet another person to yell at teammates for not being visible when they need healing.
    I wonder if she'll entirely replace Widow in the competitive meta since she can both heal and snipe?
  • Also yet another person to yell at teammates for not being visible when they need healing.
    I wonder if she'll entirely replace Widow in the competitive meta since she can both heal and snipe?

I wonder how it's going to mess with things - after all, the traditional tactic that works on Lucio, Mercy and Zenny is the tried and true "Hit the healer first" strategy, since they all have to be at least vaguely nearby. A distance healer throws that right out of whack. It's going to be interesting to see what tactics(other than "widowmaker to the face") people come up with to counter her.

She definitely seems to combine a lot of different elements already in the game - Widowmaker's range, Zenny's single-target heals, Mccree's flashbang, Reiny's knockdown, mercy's damage boost, Hanzo's mobility.

Also that shield was not failing goddamnit.
  • OTOH, hitting the healer first doesn't mean getting sort of into melee with a well-positioned team to get the healer, since she'll be way out back. This may actually bring Widow back specifically to counter her.
  • edited July 2016
    Looks rather interesting. Good to see another support class and another one that falls under sniper, though I think the suggested team composition markers are a bit overdone.

Also this for those that are at least a little interested in the character backgrounds:
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Also, Competitive will be limited to one hero per team (as in no more double Winston, double Lucion, double Tracer teams), Zenyatta's health will be buffed with more shields and D.Va's defense matrix will be changed to a mechanic similar to Pharah's fuel meter. All according to this interview
  • OTOH, hitting the healer first doesn't mean getting sort of into melee with a well-positioned team to get the healer, since she'll be way out back. This may actually bring Widow back specifically to counter her.

True, but I was thinking more that all the other healers need to be in proximity - the furthest range is Zenny, and he still needs to be within about 20 meters of his heal target and within LOS the majority of the time. Makes them much easier to find and hit, because you know where they have to be, and makes it far easier to know when there's a healer about, since they're usually somewhere you can see them about, doing healy things. There's only so far toward the back they can hang out, without losing effectiveness and flexibility.

It's just a cool change that adds some tactical options. It's going to be fun to see how it changes things up. Not to mention the question of how it's implemented - just added to the roster? Do you pick which out of two supports you bring with you? etc, etc. I'm interested in how it all plays out.
  • edited July 2016
    Her grenade heals allies and increases healing to them for a bit, it also stops enemies from being healed (including med kits) and does a bit of damage. Her damaging shot does damage over time, and it doesn't look like she can head shot (no bonus damage).
    Post edited by Geoff on
  • This enables forward point-man strategies. Snipers can support Tracers\Bastions\Meis in a forward position.
  • edited July 2016
    chaosof99 said:

Also, Competitive will be limited to one hero per team (as in no more double Winston, double Lucion, double Tracer teams), Zenyatta's health will be buffed with more shields and D.Va's defense matrix will be changed to a mechanic similar to Pharah's fuel meter. All according to this interview

Damn, that D.Va change is significant. Having that shield more readily available is a game changer. The Zen change is also very welcomed. I sort of wished they'd buff his healing just a smidge since I don't feel like I contribute much as a healer with him, but I guess since he has a pretty potent offense it makes sense the way it is.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Freaking hyped!
  • Also she has a cup of tea. As an Englishman this is extremely important to me. ;)
  • Those competitive changes are extremely disappointing. Multi-hero is an amazing interaction...
  • Of all the modes, competitive is (should be) you play to win the game. Why would you block a legitimate strategy? :'(
  • edited July 2016
    Well that D.Va change is really going to make her useful as an actual tank.

If they are going to limit character selection they really should do two, since two Winstons is like a pro strat for point control.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Are they gonna go full Dota and incorporate character ban votes?
  • Rym said:

Those competitive changes are extremely disappointing. Multi-hero is an amazing interaction...

In practice it gets you the really annoying 2-Winston 2-Lucio 2-Tracer comp on CP maps though...