This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• Someone (whose voice sounded suspect) said he had a joke. The joke was as follows:
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

To fuck his wife.

This was followed by ~30 seconds of laughter while everyone else was silent.

RIP Overwatch Public games.
  • Slowly gaining imaginary points. Having trouble breaking through chokepoints though. My team yells at me when I go hanzo on attack but if I can place that ulti right it can help the team break through. D.va ulti is also pretty good at busting through but they have a lot of time to hide and there's a big flashing sign so it's less likely to do damage.

I find pharah great against tank rushes. Tanks just can't reach you if you play it right. I always preemptively go pharah during those competitive coin flip rounds because there's bound to be a double Winston or some other cheese strat.
  • Opened a loot box: Got Reinhardt Blue and Green. :/
  • edited July 2016

My team yells at me when I go hanzo on attack but if I can place that ulti right it can help the team break through.

This makes me cringe so hard, especially in competitive play. If the Hanzo isn't pulling their weight, we ask them to switch it up, but when they don't change, I get so annoyed.

This game is about team play and comp, people who don't change it up in Competitive Mode when they aren't pulling their weight deserve a special hell. I was in a team with a Genji that wouldn't switch when we were defending at Volskaya, but they were able to grief enough that they helped more than not help. I still didn't go out of my way to heal when they weren't with the group and called for healing.

I really do hope that Blizzard does something to fix Competitive Play. The penalization for losing is more severe than the rewards of winning. Perhaps bonus XP for selecting non-opposite heroes on offense/defense.

I find that when my teams see me go Mercy first thing, they seem to be more relieved and willing to change it up when I ask. I've gotten several friend requests from solid wins when I'm mostly on the mic calling things out.

Someone (whose voice sounded suspect) said he had a joke. The joke was as follows:
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To fuck his wife.
    This was followed by ~30 seconds of laughter while everyone else was silent.
    RIP Overwatch Public games.

This is easily managed by a block/mute and reporting. The more you report and publicly let them know it's not cool, the better. You don't necessarily have to let them know publicly if you're not comfortable, but we're the community and we're the ones that have to help make it better by letting Blizzard know who are being shitlords.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The way to "fix" competitive mode is to only ever go in with a group of six.
  • I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion as well. In matches where the public people all happened to be chill and talking on mics, we steamrolled the opposition. There is also a problem with people dropping out of matches when they think it's going to be a loss, just to get on with the next match. Twitter is a sea of people complaining about their teammates in competitive mode.

I'll be going back to quick play matches. I enjoy the shorter match length, but I do want my games to be a test of skill, and it disheartens me to think that all of the "good" players have left quickplay now that the "real" game has opened up. I will push these thoughts to the site and retain faith that since I am nowhere near elite, the Blizzard matchmaking will still pair me up with a proper skill challenge, and it's up to me to roll them.
  • I'm still going to try playing Competitive mode for a while. I made a few new friends here and there that seem cool for now. They politely asked to be friends first.

My plan is to stay positive, politely say hello to everyone, also go support and see how people react. I politely ask if we can go two tanks and tell people on vchat thank you for changing. I tell people who were playing snipers thank you for changing it up to something better, etc. I think if I keep vocal, but not angry, people respond in a better way.

When I go to Quick Play, I'm going to be practicing other heroes. I have almost 30 hours as Mercy/Lucio. I'm tired of playing them in non-competitive mode unless I'mg going for the various challenges/achievements. I want to practice more on Mei, Zarya, Winston, or whoever else. I get really frustrated when people say "We need a healer." Part of me feels guilty, but part me doesn't. I want to say, "If you have more hours of healing vs me, I'll go heal, otherwise, you heal. Go to Overbuff and look me. I will bet you that I will have more hours healing than you."
  • edited July 2016
    I haven't even done my ranking ten yet, to be honest. I probably will get around to it at some point, but honestly, it's not what I'm playing overwatch for, and I'll never be good enough to really get anywhere in competitive mode. Fuck man, I'm not even good enough to get much of anywhere in quickplay, it's not like switching modes is magically going to make me better.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2016
    This week's Brawl all about Support. Fun times. I wish more people will play so they will learn how to play Support. If anything, there is a tiny incentive of bonus XP for playing your first Brawl each week.

I honestly really enjoy this game way a lot. I'm very competitive and get frustrated when people don't understand to play as a team vs. OMG I HAD THE MOST KILLZORS! POTG!
  • Rochelle said:

This week's Brawl all about Support. Fun times.

I wish it didn't limit you to two of any given hero. I would go all Symmetra all the time.

• Rym said:

Rochelle said:

This week's Brawl all about Support. Fun times.

I wish it didn't limit you to two of any given hero. I would go all Symmetra all the time.
    I think the limit is there for the reason so it's not 6 Symmetras. Symmetra's gun increases as long as she has her ray on you. I imagine people will also first got to Zenyatta as well. Lucio's aim is really hard at times because the soundwave is slow to travel, unless you're really close.

I've been in Training Mode practicing the timing on Mercy's and Lucio's long range shooting on moving targets.
  • edited July 2016
    Rochelle said:

Symmetra's gun increases as long as she has her ray on you.

Tip - you also keep that damage, as long as you keep on the trigger between targets. So, say you drop someone and it gets you up to three pips, if you hold down fire and catch someone else, you're doing 100% damage from the get-go.

I will also admit to sometimes being so frustrated with my team that I was tempted to drop a teleporter that ran them right off a cliff, but I'm still not quite THAT much of an asshole.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Rochelle said:

This week's Brawl all about Support. Fun times. I wish more people will play so they will learn how to play Support. If anything, there is a tiny incentive of bonus XP for playing your first Brawl each week.

I honestly really enjoy this game way a lot. I'm very competitive and get frustrated when people don't understand to play as a team vs. OMG I HAD THE MOST KILLZORS! POTG!

The part i'm learning the most is all of the fun and interesting places to put the Symmetra turrets on each map.
  • edited July 2016
    FYI Mercy's gun does NOT lose damage no matter how far and like most double damage with head shots. When I don't need to heal or we are going thru a choke point, I'll take down Symmetra sentries.

I sometimes find myself in 1v1 situations when I'm Mercy. I mostly die, but I've killed a few offense via headshots which puts a smile on my heart.

I took out a Reaper. I did an emote of Thanks on his corpse. Then he comes back with a death blossom. I feel he may have had some salt. :D
  • Shout out to Ika last night for being the lone linebacker roadhog with literally everyone supporting his survival.
  • Had some pretty great games of 12 man Zenyatta, Winston and Zarya
    Because of the support mode, I got into playing Zenyatta and Symmetra.

Now I try to organise teams with 2 supports, seems to work pretty well, I also end up doing more work then any of the players who feel the need to run 3 assassins.
  • edited July 2016
    I've had some good games as Hanzo playing mid to short range. I mean, he's sort of a "sniper" but he also does a lot of damage, so if you can be more accurate up close he's pretty effective. But he is really squishy. Using his splitter arrow and shooting it into the ground at short range I've stopped tanks. The part that always makes me cringe is watching people try to snipe from absurdly long ranges. I've only seen one or two people that have pulled that off decently. And it was pretty impressive.

My first competitive match was pretty cutthroat. The first round we won pretty handily. The next round we were so close to stopping them from winning where the whole team would wipe and me as D.Va would be pulled out of the mech and I was just running around the transport to contest it just long enough for the team to return. Then it came down to a sudden death which we were holding the line so close to the wire. It was pretty intense.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I saw some video a couple weeks ago where some guy put together a decent case for Sombra being the next character and her being a sniper support class.

• I'm surprised Blizzard isn't going to charge for the new heroes to come. Not that I'm complaining.
  • Rochelle said:
    Oh shit, so fucking down with this as well.
  • I kind of use Zenyatta as a sniper because there's no fall of on his projectiles, so I can see this working.
  • So I've been having FB conversations about this Sniper Support class. I speculated the following:

Headshot heals = double healing vs body shots like how it is with normal weapons for most heroes.

Left click = heal shot, right click = switch to damage shot vs enemies. Ultimate = HUGE Shield on one character that depreciates in seconds.

I WANT THIS TO BE A THING.
  • I can't wait to shout to panicking teammates to stand still when I try to snipe heal them.

But if the heal is really instant that sounds really strong. Imagine trying to take down any tankier hero with good sniper healer behind them.
  • Probably a HoT like Soldiers HoT.
  • Just did a solo-queue placement match on Temple of Anubis. Played primarily Pharah (attack and 2nd point defense) with Symmetra for 1st point defense sitting in the right flank (the room on the side of the choke leading to the large healthpack, pointed toward the 2nd point). Racked up 50 eliminations and had 50% kill participation through basically two rounds of Anubis which ended 4-3 for my team. Just raining justice all day long.
  • In some of the speculation, there was talk about how the new weapon was partly based on the Soldier 76 healing spike. Maybe this could have long-distance launch capability for such a spike?
  • Rochelle said:

So I've been having FB conversations about this Sniper Support class. I speculated the following:

Headshot heals = double healing vs body shots like how it is with normal weapons for most heroes.

Left click = heal shot, right click = switch to damage shot vs enemies. Ultimate = HUGE Shield on one character that depreciates in seconds.

I WANT THIS TO BE A THING.

I can see it now.
    A half dead Junkrat leans miserably against the Hollywood Exec's limo, eyes glazed over as he see's the enemy team racing towards the payload. There's nothing he can do to stop them. He doesn't even try. As they get close enough to see the whites of his listing eyes, they see the tell tale streak of a sniper round leading right to his head. The impact knocks him over, seemingly the killing blow, but they all stop, wondering what just happened. All six of them were there. Was it friendly fire? A mercy kill to spare the poor, half sizzled aussie from the fate that awaited him?

The camera cuts to straight above Junkrat's body, him a crumpled mess on the ground. But something is amiss. The shot hit his head alright, but it was no bullet: a smaller version of Soldier 76's biotic field spike is lodged in Junkrat's skull, sticking out like an oversized tranquilizer dart.

Suddenly, he jerks into an upright position, causing the other team to rock back in surprise. His eyes pop open, though now very askew, and he starts laughing maniacally, firing away.
  • We did a thing and it went okay.