This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Other Podcasts (or, why GeekNights is #2)

Comments

• 12 Byzantine Emperors
    Dave and Joel - I don't watch anime and even those episodes are hilarious
    Penny Arcade - I like listening to their creative process
    Gamers With Jobs - overlong, often dull, and they laugh uproariously over things that aren't funny, but I still listen occasionally
    Geeknights
    Savage Love
    Almost all of the Simply Syndicated shows - I can't get enough; I even purchased the back episodes
    Skeptics' Guide

Does no-one else listen to GeeksOn? Their audio quality is very good considering there are four hosts, they've had amazing interviews, and they have many varied and interesting topics. The only weakness compared to Geeknights is they record very infrequently.

Has anyone heard a decent classical music/opera podcast? I want one with interesting discussion, not compilations of music. I've found some that were okay but they all stopped recording ages ago.
  • Penny Arcade - I like listening to their creative process
    That's what I was looking for. God I suck at English.
  • In no particular order....

Major Nelson
    Anime World Order
    Ninja Consultants
    Fast Karate
    R5 Central
    Greatest Movie Ever
    This Week in Tech
    The Official Lost Podcast
    And this quite amazing podcast called Rangercast.
  • edited March 2008
    Podcasts I'm currently subscribed to:
    • Anime World Order
    • Dai-Cast (about Japanese culture and current events from a Western perspective; really wish it had more listeners, because it's really good, especially when I'm not on it mucking things up. XD;; )
    • GeekNights (all feeds. ...What? I like to keep the nights separated.)
    • Movies You Should See
    • Otaku Kakumei (anime and J-pop music cast)
    • Stephen Fry's Podgrams (how I love that man's voice)
    • Viga the Otagal (^_~)
    • Voiceprint with Trevor Devall and Guests (interviews with various English voice actors and directors; lots of insight about the industry to be had)
    Podcasts I am not subscribed to, but still like downloading random episodes from:
    • Dave and Joel's Fast Karate for the Gentleman
    • The Mustache Rangers
    • Penny Arcade's Downloadable Content
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Most of the Simply Syndicated stuff apart from "Make It So" (As I don't like Star Trek)
    Book Panel With Simon Mayo (BBC production)
    Daily Mayo (Same guy as above, it's interviews from his radio show, a mixture of all sorts really, from political people to sports stars)
    Fighting Talk (The only podcast that I listen to that is guaranteed to make me laugh every time. It's a sports themed radio show, truly brilliant.)
    French from Beginners (Well I'm going traveling soon and know no French whatsoever)
    Geeknights Tuesdays and Thursdays (Listened to Tech Mondays once for the podcast advice show since I'm going to be doing one myself soon)
    The Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast (Brilliant B-Movie show)
    The History Network (Military history show that's a million times better than the Military History Podcast, which is hosted by the most boring man in the world. This one covers the same interesting topics but without a guy with a monotone voice)
    The Skeptics' Guild to the Universe (Debunking rubbish brilliantly)
    Sky Sports - Boots 'N' All (Rugby League highlight show)
    12 Byzantine Rulers (The best thing that has come out of listening to Geeknights, I found out about this show)
  • I pretty only listen to AU and Geeknights...But now that AU has ended.

Maybe I'll find something else to listen.
  • Current List:
    PC Gamer
    Game Theory
    NPR: It's all politics
    Penny Arcade
    The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe

I only listen to geeknights occasionally and if the topic interests me, maybe about once a week.
    I suggest you listen to GFW Radio.

Hopefully that something will be Robomiko. ;)
  • I just started listening to Viga's podcast and so far I like it. Keep it up :)

But I don't listen to Robomiko yet, first episode's not up! XD

Hence the "will be," implying the future. When there is an episode up. ;)

Which will hopefully be soon. *Hint, hint.*

Which will hopefully be soon. *Hint, hint.*
    I'm a pre fan of Robomiko. When it's out, full fan status will begin!
  • Ack, must kill the giant multi-quote!

Anyway, hopefully the first episode will be recorded next Friday or Saturday. This past Friday, Iggy and I did some testing and planning of things over Skype, and we think we have a nice, relaxed format that will work well for our style of banter. :)
  • edited March 2008
    Stuff I'm subscribed to:
    - Geeknights
    - Dave and Joel
    - Derek the bandit's sound republic - awesome techno/trance music! Thank you Rym or Scott (I don't remember who) for suggesting this.
    - Anime World Order

Stuff I listen to every now and then:
    - Destroy All Podasts DX - if they are talking about a show or movie I've seen/want to seen, I'll listen. Otherwise I don't.

Stuff I dropped:
    - Weekly Anime Review- their japan trip episodes were awesome....but the rest are pretty boring (mainly cause it's only 1 dude).
    - Anime Pulse - the first podcast I started listening to...but eventually it just started to piss me off that it seemed like they had different people on the show each week. Their reviews were nothing more than a complete synopsis/entire script of the episode that they've watched. Then they went and whored themselves out and got ads. Totally lame.
    - Ninja Consultants - their japan trip episodes were pretty cool too. The rest of their shows are pretty lame, though, IMO.
    - R5 Central- maybe I just didn't get the point of his podcast, but it seemed like (even in his con reports), the podcasts were more than 50-60% music and/or radio drama, which eventually annoyed me enough to stop listening. The shows would be like "blah blah blah, otakon blah blah *insert a 20 minute anime song here* blah blah dealer's room holy shit blah blah"....

As for some other commentary....At first, I even found Rym and Scott's voices to be annoying. They kinda still are, but I've gotten very used to it. Anime World Orders' voices did originally turn me away from listening...but once I gave them a chance, I realized how good their shows were, so I'll keep downloading them for the time being (although the current 1 show a month formula is ridiculous. I don't care if they're putting out 2 hour shows, Geeknights puts out 3+ hours per week!).
    Dave and Joel's lack of audio quality does get annoying (it's gotten a lot better since their earlier stuff...but it's still not great), but I get over it after remembering how funny they are.

And as for times of podcasts. I really don't care how long or short an episode is (well, provided it's not like 2 minutes or something...). Stopping in the middle of a podcast and then finishing it off later doesn't really bother me.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Geek Nights
    Fast Karate For The Gentlemen
    Greatest Movie Ever
    Penny Arcade
    Anime World Order (only listened to a few)

I might check out Ninja Consultants later on.
  • In order of frequency:

NPR: It's All Politics
    Pseudopod
    Escape Pod
    Movies You Should See
    BBC World Service Documentary Archive
    Penny Arcade
    Dave and Joel
    Anime World Order

I've been listening to fewer and fewer as time goes on. Of course, I'm watching a lot more anime and working a lot more (on things where I can't divide my attention), so it's not really a result of anything podcast-related.
  • I might check out Ninja Consultants later on.
    Unlike with other podcasts, I'd recommend listening to their earlier episodes over their newer ones due to more consistency with their topics.
  • Why aren't you people taking my advice? Listen to Radio Lab.

If anyone is interested in new and eclectic music, check out KEXP. They have live concerts and interviews with great indie bands like Animal Collective, Vampire Weekend, Ghostland Observatory, etc.
  • Computing Lives

A nice one if you're interested in the history of computing. :)

I'd most strongly recommend The Hollywood Saloon for people properly interested in Movies.
  • edited May 2008
    The shows that I listen to(in order beginning with the most anticipated).

Dave and Joel's Fast Karate
    anything by Scott Sigler (*)(**)
    NPR's Car Talk
    Anime World Order
    TWiT
    Secret World Chronicles(**)
    1up Broken Pixels
    Greatest Movie EVER
    1up Retronauts
    The Babylon Podcast
    GeekNights Monday
    Slice of Sci-Fi
    1up Yours
    GFW Radio
    40k Radio
    1up Legendary Thread
    GeekNights Thrusday
    EGM Live
    GeekNights Tue/Wed
    DropPodCast
    CAGCast

(*) - www.ScottSigler.com author/narrator. Amazing sci-fi audiobooks.
    (**) - www.podiobooks.com

And yes, I do listen to all of these podcasts as they are released. I have about 7 hours a night, 5 or 6 days a week, in which I listen to podcasts while stuck on an airfield in the middle of BFE(***).

(***) - Bum Fuck Egypt
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • I just unsubscribed some podcasts I was at least 10 episodes behind with and I just didn't think I could fit them into my schedule anymore either. That I was at least 10 episodes behind was also pretty much enough for me that I had basically lost interest in them.
  • In no particular order:
    Abnormal Psychology Lectures
    Anime World Order Podcast
    Ask A Ninja
    The Butcher Block
    Dave and Joel
    Downloadable Content
    Geeknights
    The Greatest Movie EVER
    Keith and the Girl
    Movies You Should See
    Nobody Likes Onions
    Wired's Alt Text

On another note, does anyone know of any good podcasts that teach Italian? I've looked around, but I can't find any that I think are any good.
  • In alphabetical order:
    Anime World Order
    AniMentors
    Astronomy Cast
    CollectionDX
    Daizenshuu EX
    Dave and Joel
    Downloadable Content - Penny Arcade
    Friday Night Party Line
    Geeknights
    GeeksOn
    Happy House of Hentai
    Movies You Should See
    Skeptoid
    The Greatest Movie EVER
    The Skeptics' Guide 5x5
    The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
  • It's weird to see how many of the podcasts I listen too are represented in this thread... Especially ones I found organically, and not through this forum...
  • Has anyone listened to Canadia 2056? It's a serialized fiction put out by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

There is a homebrew ITunes feed here.

I haven't listened to it yet, but it looks like a Hitchhikers Guide type show.
  • One podcast I'm shocked and amazed no one here is subscribed to is the TEDTalks. Comes in two flavors (as most Podcasts) iTunes & RSS.
    iTunes - Video | Hi-Res Video | Audio
    RSS: Video | Hi-res Video | Audio