This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Other Podcasts (or, why GeekNights is #2)

Comments

• edited May 2008

One podcast I'm shocked and amazed no one here is subscribed to is the TEDTalks. Comes in two flavors (as most Podcasts) iTunes & RSS.
    Just so you'll know, iTunes uses RSS for podcasts just like everyone else. Just copy an rss feed location, and paste in in the pop-up window you get when you hit Advanced>Subscribe to Podcast...
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Yea I know (worked for Apple as a tech for 4 years). That's just how they have it set up on the TED website and I wasn't sure if the iTunes Audio feed was possibly an eAAC verses a standard MP3. Actually, though I know it's harder to set up an enhanced AAC, and it's limitation for non-iTunes users, I'm surprised that hardly any pod-casts have a enhanced feed. Only about five of the 47 pod-cast I listen to use it. But on those 5, I love the ability to jump around and use the links on my computer. As well as the custom images for different sections.
  • One podcast I'm shocked and amazed no one here is subscribed to is the TEDTalks. Comes in two flavors (as most Podcasts) iTunes & RSS.
    I'm subscribed to the feed, and will get updated whenever a new video is posted. I didn't know they had podcast like feeds though.
  • I just found out (via the feed) that the full audio or video of Countdown with Keith Olberman is available as a podcast. I'm surprised more people don't subscribe to it.
  • edited May 2008

Anyone listen to "Security Now! with Steve Gibson", before? I really enjoyed what they talked about, but one of them whored his own product so much in every show as well as sponsored advertising being played throughout. Couldn't put up with it anymore!
    Post edited by dutopia on
  • Funnily enough, there was a podcast called Truth-Driven Thinking by a Stephen Gibson who also whored his product all the time. I still enjoyed it while it lasted though, it was a very honest exploration of all kinds of issues to do with skepticism, religion and random topics. Oh, and about selling his books.
  • edited August 2013
    Anyone else listen to Welcome To Night Vale?
    "WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.

Turn on your radio and hide."
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I kept hearing buzz about it so I checked Welcome to Nightvale out recently and I really like it. It seems to be surprisingly popular among people who don't usually listen to podcasts.
  • edited August 2013
    I was just going to mention this on the forum myself. I had heard some of my Tumblr friends buzzing about it, so I loaded the first 17 episodes onto my phone to listen to on the ride to Otakon. So far I'm on episode 9 and enjoying it for the most part. At first I thought it was a bit too "oooo isn't this random and waaaaacky~ lol pterodactyls". Sometimes it still is that way, and that's annoying sometimes. As the episodes go on, though, it does feel like there's an internal logic to the kinds of randomness used, and many things that seem like just weird one-off gags at first reoccur and get more elaboration/updates in future episodes. The recurring bits and sheer commitment to the tone are enough that you just can't help but get absorbed in their odd little horror world. Worth checking out at least a few episodes, for sure.

This set of typography graphics is what convinced me to try out the show, and probably expresses the tone best for anyone curious.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Eryn! Is Robomiko still dead/faded?
  • Still dead, yep. I briefly made a podcast for a game I was in, and that was the last podcasting I did in recent memory. It's all been Pokemon videos from me lately, with a film analysis video show in the works for after I move.
  • edited August 2013
    My current list:

Welcome to Night Vale - I very rarely listen to radio dramas, but this one caught my interest after Something Awful plugged it. It's an NPR-esque broadcast that reports on the local events in a supernatural town. Updates on the 1st and 15th of every month. (EDIT: Heh heh. It's already been mentioned.)

Animation Aficionados - I won't deny my passion: I LOVE cartoons! In my opinion, this podcast is the most detailed out of all of them. They'll cover anything from the popular to the obscure and critique the animation quality, voice acting, and anything else from behind the scenes of the production.

RevCast - The official podcast of RevolutionSF, a sci-fi website I've been following since before they were even called RevolutionSF.

FNPL - If you don't know what this is, where have you been?
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • My podcast list (in no particular order):

KUHF-FM: Engines of our Ingenuity
    Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!
    All Things Considered
    NPR's Hourly News Summary Podcast
    NPR's Most Emailed Stories Podcast
    Pop Culture Happy Hour
    NPR's Shuffle Podcast
    TED Radio Hour
    RadioLab
    Stuff You Should Know
    GeekNights

Oh, and if you guys like FNPL, you may want to check out my other podcast, "Sounds of the Commons". Every month I showcase some of the best of creative commons music!

• edited August 2013
    In no particular order other than what iTunes throws at me:

Alton Browncast
    Anime World Order
    Answer me this
    ATW9K
    Cage Rage
    Carstuff
    Critical Hit
    Culture Hacker(almost never comes out)
    Download this show
    Fast Karate
    Freakanomics
    FRIDAY NIGHT PARTY LINE (Yes, I listen to the show I'm on because I'm a narcissistic twit)
    Geeknights
    Giant Bomb
    GP Australia
    Greatest Movie Ever
    Hack (it's a news show)
    Hooniverse
    How to do everything
    Infinite Monkey Cage
    John Birmingham's Spartacast
    Judge John Hodgeman
    Kritzcast
    Major Spoilers
    Car Talk
    Planet Money
    Rebel FM
    Rooster Teeth Podcast
    Savage Lovecast
    Sex Nerd Sandra
    Skeptic Zone(only occasionally)
    Skeptic's guide to the universe
    Skeptoid
    Stuff you should know
    This Week in tech
    Writing Excuses
    You are not so smart

I listen pretty much any time I'm not working, gaming, or Driving in the Van(I prefer music when I'm driving, and don't have the means to put audio from my phone into the van's head unit right now.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2013
    If your van has a tapedeck you can buy a tape with a 3.5mm audio cable that plays stuff from your phone or what-have-you.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited August 2013
    Nope. The mighty van is too mighty for a mere tape-deck. It's a CD player, and the Aux jack is not an option, as far as I know. Not really a problem that needs solving, either - I can get a decent ipod/iphone/android compatible head unit for just over a hundred bucks, if it was a problem, I'll just pull it out and install a new one.

I neatly avoid the ship of Theseus problem with The Mighty Van, as The Mighty Van is the parts that are on the van at the time. Add more parts or change parts, it's still The Mighty Van, because it started as a bizarre amalgamation of random parts anyway.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I see NPR's most emailed stories update on my reader feed, but my podcast app doesn't show a damn thing.

Over a month of nothing.

I'm also still mourning the end of NPR It's All Politics.
  • I've been really liking the anandtech podcast. Unlike seemingly every other tech news podcasts it is more than a list of headlines with minimal commentary.
  • My current list:

Animation Aficionados - I won't deny my passion: I LOVE cartoons! In my opinion, this podcast is the most detailed out of all of them. They'll cover anything from the popular to the obscure and critique the animation quality, voice acting, and anything else from behind the scenes of the production.
    Just start talking about how you enjoyed Teen Titans and watch Ben's head explode =p

• In no particular order other than what iTunes throws at me:

[list of podcasts]

My hard drive visibly winced.
  • I do a quick run of deleting everything I've listened to every time I sync my phone, so it's not that bad. It only totals out to a few gig, and storage is cheap.
  • This thread is amusingly old, given that the title assumes that anyone listens to Geeknights.
  • AmpAmp
    edited August 2013
    Whats Geeknights? Isn't it made by two guys who are going out or something?
    Post edited by Amp on
  • It occurs to me that this forum doesn't have any sort of nuclear option if the actual forum goes down. Where would we rebuild this glorious ivory tower?
  • The Fast Karate forums? I think everybody here listens to them, at least.
  • I think one of us would register and host frontrowcrewforums.com in such an event and pass the link around to all the then former members.
  • We have backups.
  • I haven't been listening to much lately, though I've found that an episode of Judge John Hodgman runs for nearly the exact length of time it takes me to cook dinner. So I've been listening to that.
  • The Bugle, is probably the podcast I enjoy listening to the most. John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman satirizing world/political news is a must listen.
  • Its a bit late now but if you have any interest in the NBA whatsoever, you have to listen to the podcasting group formerly known as "The Basketball Jones." They are some of the most funny and genuine guys I've listened to and I've been a fan of them for years. They went from being two dudes recording a weekly show on skype to now recently signing a deal with NBATV to do a daily show. And even if you have no interest in basketball, their off-season series, The Blank Jones, where they talk about random topics is endlessly entertaining. By far the best podcast on the internet in my opinion.