This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Other Podcasts (or, why GeekNights is #2)

1235»

Comments

• I don't think they are better than the Jalen Rose report when it comes to general sports stuff. There are very few people who keep it realer than Jalen.
  • I don't think they are better than the Jalen Rose report when it comes to general sports stuff. There are very few people who keep it realer than Jalen.
    Eh, Jalen can be kind of grating with his wise veteran act when the co-host doesn't pull the reins in on the conversation. I think he's gives interesting opinions but I prefer him in conjunction with Simmons or another big personality rather than him as the star with Jacoby as the second man.

Simmons is good but he's better when someone is challenging his opinions so he doesn't go too far with his generalizations. When the co-host keeps agreeing with him, he ends of saying some outlandish things like Memphis fans getting quiet in close series because the city was scarred by MLK's assassination: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/30/bill-simmons-memphis-grizzlies-mlk-theory_n_3360134.html

• There are very few people who keep it realer than Jalen.

Right.

I'm not saying Jalen's always talking out of his butt. I'm also sure you can find examples of boneheaded statements by just about any person that gets recorded as much as a pro sports commentator. But! Unless we're operating under different levels of sanity, that sounds bonkers. To be sure, I could be proven wrong when #45 #23 suits up one last last last last time, but I rate that possibility quite low, considering it's against the rules and all.

The guys I like the most (in a general listen-to-them-talk sense) are the PTI guys. They're pretty measured for the most part, and don't make outrageous statements (Tim Tebow is the best quarterback EVAR!) too often. Their shout level is pretty low too. I'm looking at you, Skip Bayless and Stephen A.
  • edited October 2013
    You know it's really unfortunate that came out like 4 days after I said that. I am getting warmer on the PTI guys but there is something about the Rose Report that just clicks with me. Though I do agree that the prediction that Mike will play this year is super outlandish.

Also First Take was my first sports podcast/show I really got into, but after a while I did come the realization that Skip and Stephen A. are full of shit. I'm pretty sure I leveled up as a sports fan after that.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • Caustic Soda
    http://www.causticsodapodcast.com/
    Each episode of Caustic Soda takes a gruesome, gory or otherwise horrible topic, such as shark attacks, parasites and radiation, and breaks it down into an easily-digestible bubbling paste of funny!
    Russian Rulers History Podcast
    http://russianrulers.podhoster.com/
    Follow the Russian rulers from Rurik to Putin
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php?page=hharchive
    In "Hardcore History" the very unconventional Dan Carlin takes his "Martian", outside-the-box way of thinking and applies it to the past.
    His Common Sense Podcast can be hit or miss.
  • Not sure if I brought it up or not but These Warriors are Terrible (TWAT) is a show about one off campaigns in various RPG settings that are hilarious to listen to.
  • edited October 2013
    So the guy who did the 12 Byzantine Emperor's podcast has another one called Norman Centuries; it's pretty good.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • So the guy who did the 12 Byzantine Emperor's podcast has another one called Norman Centuries; it's pretty good.
    That's not new brah
  • It's new to me.
  • Listen to me talk about ponies and say lots of mistaken or dumb things:

http://www.showmecomics.com/2013/10/23/showme-comicast-1x09-our-brony-has-a-first-name/
  • I was listening to that this morning. I was astonished at everyone else's not seeing this as a cut and dried issue. When the victim's mother spoke with the presumption of guilt on the part of the accused. Was incredible.

Like of course an attorney's only duty is to his client. If that weren't the case, why have attorney's at all? He never should have gone before the bar, anyone who sent him a death threat or didn't want to use his practice was ignorant of how the process works.
  • Hello Internet: A "Two Dudes Talking" podcast, but the two dudes are Brady Haran and CGP Grey. These two have such good chemistry and are such opposites.... they're hilarious.
  • The only podcast I still listen to is the Doug Stanhope Shotclog Podcast. Any other time I want spoken word I listen to an audiobook instead.
  • Hello Internet is indeed excellent. It's become one of my favorites, and one of the only podcasts I listen to each episode more than once.
  • So many "Tims" in here that we could erect a nail and gear sometime.
  • Naoza said:

I was listening to that this morning. I was astonished at everyone else's not seeing this as a cut and dried issue. When the victim's mother spoke with the presumption of guilt on the part of the accused. Was incredible.

Like of course an attorney's only duty is to his client. If that weren't the case, why have attorney's at all? He never should have gone before the bar, anyone who sent him a death threat or didn't want to use his practice was ignorant of how the process works.

The mom's judgement is clearly compromised, but understandably so. That's why we have the laws we do that protect the accused.

What I fear though, is that almost everyone is ignorant of how the process works.
  • Starfox said:

Naoza said:

I was listening to that this morning. I was astonished at everyone else's not seeing this as a cut and dried issue. When the victim's mother spoke with the presumption of guilt on the part of the accused. Was incredible.

The mom's judgement is clearly compromised, but understandably so. That's why we have the laws we do that protect the accused.

What I fear though, is that almost everyone is ignorant of how the process works.
    That right there is the problem though. I have an empathy problem, I tend to assume everyone thinks exactly like I do and am surprised when they don't. Giving this issue a moments thought is enough to understand exactly why it is set up the way it is.

I like to think, in that lawyers shoes, I'd do the same thing and lose exactly 0 sleep over it (I'm aware that much like with torture, I'll never know). The fact that everyone on the planet isn't exactly the same way will probably never sit quite right with me. Maybe we need prelaw taught in schools. Or maybe, just give kids some Law and Order episodes and let them figure out the rest on their own, like I did.