This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Casual forum Natural Selection

Comments

• I'd be up for playing sometime next week when I'm back at my desktop. I've never really played the game, and I've been meaning to seriously try it.
  • Who is up for some NS in the near future (i.e. tonight or tomorrow)?
    Do we have to... know how to play?
    If there is enough demand, maybe I'll make some videos to teach you how to play.
  • I'm game; I've been thinking about NS more and more recently, and I could go for a few rounds.
  • edited August 2009
    Just to let you guys know, NS is coming back in a big way. I have a feeling that the old community is returning to play NS in anticipation for NS2. If you want to get in and learn shit before NS2 drops, now is the time.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Who is up for some NS in the near future (i.e. tonight or tomorrow)?
    Do we have to... know how to play?
    If there is enough demand, maybe I'll make some videos to teach you how to play.
    I have never played NS or any online FPS, but I would sorely like to try it. Any videos you could supply would be appreciated.
  • edited August 2009
    I have never played NS or any online FPS, but I would sorely like to try it. Any videos you could supply would be appreciated.
    Had to post this:

All kidding aside, NS is pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it as a first FPS. Maybe something a bit simpler, with a lot of people playing and a quicker learning curve?
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • edited August 2009
    Logan, that was inappropriate.

Even having played quite a few FPSs before NS, I spent the first couple of months getting to anywhere near 1 to 1 kills to deaths. I'd recommend you try getting the hang of TF2 before giving NS a go and, when you do, expect to die a lot when you first start.

I got kinda bored after a while but, it's fun if you like that kind of thing.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Logan, that was inappropriate.
    He was kidding, dude, chill.
  • Just some playful teasing, that's all. I'd be happy to play some FPSs along Mrs. MacRoss sometime.
  • Oh, it was clear to me you were kidding. Great picture, by the way. I will try TF2 as has been suggested. Anyone interested in playing with the newbiest-of-newbs? I can use Mr. MacRosses account if he will let me.
  • I think Quake Live is a better starting FPS than TF2, though TF2 isn't really a bad choice. I also highly suggest single player Half-Life 1. Single player FPSes are much better to play first because you can learn at your own pace without having other players kill you constantly without giving you a chance to get a handle on the controls.
  • Oh, it was clear to me you were kidding. Great picture, by the way. I will try TF2 as has been suggested. Anyone interested in playing with the newbiest-of-newbs? I can use Mr. MacRosses account if he will let me.
    I am up to play anyone, however, time zones may be an issue.....
  • I normally go under the name "luke burrage" or "not noob just shit", depending on my mood. For some reason my mic never works in NS, but I get on fine.
    I'd love to sometime, you can add me on Steam whenever. I'd enjoy helping you out also if you need it, but my headset has been busted for the last couple of weeks so i can't do much.
    If you want to play some FPS let me know and I can either cover your back or kill you lots ^_^
  • I'm curious if you'll be making them edumacational NS videos.
    I doubt that they could teach something you couldn't pick up by spectating few games and reading NS wiki, but if they can, I would like to watch and learn.

Stealthily kicking the thread back to life. I don't like how Tribes 2 and NS related threads tend to die on this forum.
  • edited August 2009
    I think just a "How not to suck at NS" episode would be good enough. Maybe you could get on a beginner player who might have some questions. I find that a lot of more experienced players would miss out some basic things I wouldn't even realise it, such is the complexity of the game.

Snow Leopard is installing on the macbook... off to play NS for a few minutes!
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited August 2009
    Oh and feel free to add me on Steam. I will be online alot now as my new laptop has gaming spec hardwares and I will nolonger have to compete for time on my Dad's gaming PC. Oh for people to lazy to use IDShare, my SteamID is WaveyGraveyPlay
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I think simply arranging a NS Newbie Session with members of the FRC who are familiar and willing to help out could be a good time.
  • That's usually quite difficult without a passworded server. Once the player count gets above a certain number, you get random people coming in just to see what's going on.
  • That's usually quite difficult without a passworded server. Once the player count gets above a certain number, you get random people coming in just to see what's going on.
    Well we do a passwor server and post it on the Forums
  • edited August 2009
    As far as servers are concerned, it wouldn't be a problem. We could do it either way. All we'd need to do is pick a time and a day, and have enough people who know NS inside and out willing to help out each team. I have moderate knowledge of the game and could help with the basics, but I'm not an expert.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited August 2009
    I think simply arranging a NS Newbie Session with members of the FRC who are familiar and willing to help out could be a good time.
    I'd be interested. If it's specifically for newbies, my ping won't be prohibitive.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • As far as servers are concerned, it wouldn't be a problem. We could do it either way. All we'd need to do is pick a time and a day, and have enough people who know NS inside and out willing to help out each team. I have moderate knowledge of the game and could help with the basics, but I'm not an expert.
    Servers are a big problem. We've tried this once before on a public server. We were teaching nubs, but then a bunch of normal people come in and start a real game. The result is that the real game sucks because the server is full of nubs who don't know what to do. But you can't teach the nubs, because there are people playing a real game.

Getting a password-protected server is harder than you think. Because everyone has NAT routers these days, it is very difficult to run a real server that everyone can play on easily. It's also non-trivial to set the server up in the first place. You need a lot of technical knowledge to make it work properly, like at least enough to edit config files and such. You also need a static IP address. This is why companies are able to sell host gaming servers.

If anyone has a static IP, and the skill/knowledge to make it happen, go for it. If someone wants to pay for a server, go for it. Otherwise, it's just not happening.
  • edited August 2009
    If bandwidth isn't a big issue, then it would actually be relatively easy to get a server to work if we all used something like Hamachi. Hamachi would restrict us to 16 people at any one time, but it's very easy. Besides, 16 people is rather demanding on bandwidth anyway, so I doubt we'd want more. It's quite easy to use, too.

Otherwise, servers are relatively cheap, and if some of the cost was shared it would be even cheaper.
  • If bandwidth isn't a big issue, then it would actually be relatively easy to get a server to work if we all used something like Hamachi. Hamachi would restrict us to 16 people at any one time, but it's very easy. Besides, 16 people is rather demanding on bandwidth anyway, so I doubt we'd want more. It's quite easy to use, too.

Otherwise, servers are relatively cheap, and if some of the cost was shared it would be even cheaper.
    Bandwidth is not the issue, latency is the issue. Hamachi would work, but it would give us all wicked high pings. Hamachi is fine for a game of Wesnoth. Me and Andrew even used it to play System Shock 2 Co-op. But I seriously doubt it will have sufficient performance to handle an entire game of NS, voice-chat and all.
  • I've played Counter-Strike: Source with friends over Hamachi, among other things. Warcraft 3 as well, though that proves much less. Hamachi doesn't have much impact on latency at all. What makes you think it does?
  • I've played Counter-Strike: Source with friends over Hamachi, among other things. Warcraft 3 as well, though that proves much less. Hamachi doesn't have much impact on latency at all. What makes you think it does?
    How many people were playing CS:S over Hamachi? Who ran the server? Was the server on the same computer that someone was using to play the game?
  • edited August 2009
    How many people were playing CS:S over Hamachi?
    I think we had 6 or so, but this was limited only by the number of friends who wanted to play.
    Who ran the server?
    A friend of mine who is less tech-savvy than myself. This was mainly because he had the best bandwidth.
    Was the server on the same computer that someone was using to play the game?
    Yes. It was a dedicated server program, but it was running simultaneously with a client on the same computer.

Here's what I think you should take out of this: it's worth trying.
  • Here's what I think you should take out of this: it's worth trying.
    So set it up.