This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Actually saw this a while back, but it consistently makes me happy. Kirby Super Star was so awesome.
  • I have finally reach the point where, there is more space on my desk than there are things to put on it.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2009
    Actually saw this a while back, but it consistently makes me happy. Kirby Super Star was so awesome.

Ah yes...that was the only game that I consistently played on the SNES other than every other game I bought in between. It was just that good.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Awesome
    I hate that story. Bloody overhyped nonsense. They're more students than they are teens, the price of the camera has no fucking thing to do with taking pictures from the air. It's just a weather balloon with a kite-photography construction instead of weather instruments hanging underneath it. It's an awesome story, but the stupid news bias does nothing good for it if you ask me.
  • Awesome
    I hate that story. Bloody overhyped nonsense. They're more students than they are teens, the price of the camera has no fucking thing to do with taking pictures from the air. It's just a weather balloon with a kite-photography construction instead of weather instruments hanging underneath it. It's an awesome story, but the stupid news bias does nothing good for it if you ask me.
    I think the point is that they hand-built a craft capable of approaching the edge of space. Doing any sort of significant research on a budget of 100 pounds is pretty damn impressive.

Also, while they're students, they're also teens. Does the fact that they're students make it less impressive?

• Howard's Big Dig!
    Hoorah, Howard! I love this video.
    I also like the guy's video of his dog in love with the smell of the cedar trees.
  • Doing any sort of significant research on a budget of 100 pounds is pretty damn impressive.
    I haven't seen any mention of prices of that than the one for the 'cheap' camera which is even so prominently displayed in the title. On the contrary, they even use so called 'high-tech sensors', not to mention the huge weather-balloon and the helium. I doubt they had a 100 pounds budget.
    Also, while they're students, they're also teens. Does the fact that they're students make it less impressive?
    Perhaps this is a difference in culture, but they're 18 and 19 years old. They're not teens, they are adolescent students. What I'm complaining about is that the freaking news bias on that story appears so crazy as to suggest that it is so much more impressive than it actually is. We've been sending weather balloons to such heights for years, just because a group of students does it doesn't make it more impressive.
    hand-built a craft capable of approaching the edge of space
    This is not hard. Do the math, fill a high-altitude balloon with helium, optionally add some weight, let go. It will, unless it gets intercepted by whatever, get up there.
  • Someone put together all the different logos and how they've morphed into one another over time. Rather interesting.
    Batman Logo Evolution
  • This is not hard. Do the math, fill a high-altitude balloon with helium, optionally add some weight, let go. It will, unless it gets intercepted by whatever, get up there.
    When you reduce anything like that to its component steps, it always sounds trivial. I mean, open-heart surgery isn't that hard. Just cut open someone's chest, cut out some damaged tissue, and sew everything back up. Sewing and cutting are really easy things to do.

And yes, they are teens. They're 18 - 19 years old. Pronounce those numbers. They're teens. And it's very impressive whenever a set of non-professional students does professional-level work. It shows a lot of promise and ingenuity. That's the sort of thing that gets you fast-tracked in Ph.D. programs. They built the sensors by hand, and the balloon itself was 43 pounds. Maybe their budget wasn't 100 pounds, but they made a weather balloon for very little money, compared to how much it costs the professionals.

The whole project has caught the attention of at least one institution of higher education. I'd call that impressive.
  • I'd call that impressive.
    Are you just missing the point of my gripes? I shall spell it out in plain English, no thinking necessary. I have a problem with how the news story is portrayed.
    And yes, they are teens.
    For fucks sake, didn't you read:
    a difference in culture
  • Of course I read what you wrote. I fail to see how a difference in culture has anything to do with whether or not they're considered "teens." They are, in fact, teens. It may have been more accurate to call them "teenage students," but that's really not the issue. Does the word "teen" mean something else entirely in your culture?

I perfectly well understand that you disagree with the way the story is portrayed, but you're downplaying the accomplishment. Sending up a weather balloon isn't what's impressive here; it's the fact that a bunch of teenagers did so with little money. That's the impressive part, and the article reflects that.

So, yes, I get what you're saying. I'm saying that 1.) I disagree with your assessment of the suitability of the article's portrayal of the story and 2.) you are needlessly downplaying the significance of what these boys have done in order to back up your dislike of the article.

I think you're just poo-pooing the article for the sake of having something to criticize.
  • Does the word "teen" mean something else entirely in your culture?
    Teens are high school aged, after that you pass 18 and fall into the group adolescent. Yes that too is 'teens' if you only look at the little 1 in front of the two-digit age, that however is not the way I have been using it and covers too broad a spectrum of mental maturity.
    1.) I disagree with your assessment of the suitability of the article's portrayal of the story
    You may, it's a matter of personal opinion. Whether one agrees or disagrees with the point of it coming over deceptive is up to the person at hand.
    2.) you are needlessly downplaying the significance of what these boys have done in order to back up your dislike of the article.
    No I'm not. Or at least, that is not the intention. I even said in my first post that it is awesome.
    I think you're just poo-pooing the article for the sake of having something to criticize.
    Enjoy your thoughts.
    edited March 2009
    Would you cosplay, if you were told to wear one of these?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • to were
    To wear?
  • to were
    To wear?
    Yes, stupid doubling of 'were'.
  • Would you cosplay, if you were told towearone of these?

I would rather wear this:
  • edited March 2009
    Christopher Walken has a twitter. It's delightfully insane, especially when you read it in his voice.
    I made a little pimp outfit and put it in the yard. The bluejay hasn't come back since. Some weird shit going on with the squirrels though.
    I spent $40.00 on a bag of food for a dog that eats extension cords. That's still probably cheaper than a bag of extension cords I suppose.
    I don't remember saying that the geese had eaten all of the kittens in Central Park. No matter. She's upset and the geese are very confused.
    I claim to be frightened of horses but do so only to get out of attending parades. It's peculiar but has served me well. The horses get it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Christopher Walken has a twitter. It's delightfully insane, especially when you read it in his voice.
    This is truly awesome. Is it really his twitter?
  • Christopher Walken has a twitter. It's delightfully insane, especially when you read it in his voice.
    My understanding is that it really is him.
  • Crack the Skye is quite the awesome.
  • edited March 2009

A YGOTAS parody of the Sakuracon commercial. Apparently it's very controversial.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited March 2009
    Yes, as far as anyone can tell. Good god, i can't stop reading it.
    Our driver told the story of his childhood spirit animal - which was apparently a civet cat or seasoned marmot. I'm hungry for a pickle now.
    Edit - Jesus christ, It's like watching delusional schizophrenic beat poetry.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I would like to see someone land a train in the Hudson.
  • edited March 2009
    Crack the Skye is quite the awesome.
    From my impression of the incomplete leaked version, it was disappointing. But I'll reserve my full judgment until I listen to it again the whole way through.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I don't know how many of you visit Sporcle.com on a regular basis (I found only one reference in my search), but this quiz rocks: Name these 80's videogames
  • Wow, awesome rabbits, who thought that was possible.
  • edited March 2009
    Did I just see what I thought I just saw?

Edit: The manga this is based on goes by the name "Apocalypse Meow" (I think the manga is set in Vietnam.) and can be downloaded here.
    Post edited by Omnutia on