This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• What is better then a Kunio game? Nothing that's what.

Take Super Dodge Ball and add Basketball

Yea!
  • What is better then a Kunio game? Nothing that's what.

Take Super Dodge Ball and add Basketball

Yea!
    I love Kunion games :D
  • I'm showing my first graders, right now, Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky. I with you guys could hear the 'Oooo"s and "Ahhhhh!"s from the kids during the opening.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm showing my first graders, right now, Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky. I with you guys could hear the 'Oooo"s and "Ahhhhh!"s from the kids during the opening.
    Shamelessly raising an army of Anime-watching children? I can get on board with that.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I'm showing my first graders, right now, Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky. I with you guys could hear the 'Oooo"s and "Ahhhhh!"s from the kids during the opening.
    I remember a friend of mine trying to show the movie to his nephew (about 7 years old) and he couldn't get past the name "Laputa Castle in the sky" as Laputa sounds like La Puta that translates to "The whore", hilarity ensued.
  • Yup. That's why it wasn't on the DVD case. I don't understand why they didn't just wuss out and call it Rapyuta. It keeps with the Japanese pronunciation, but it does Lose the Swift reference (he named the city in his book that precisely because of it's meaning in Spanish). I think it's a workable solution.
  • This is a Facebook post from a friend of mine: D.S. loves her nine-year-old Make A Wish kid:.....When I visited his family yesterday with Spiderman (aka my brother in a quasi-expensive, skin tight suit which is actually ripped a bit now), lil Zachary wore his own Spidey mask and brought out all his Spiderman toys (of which he has A LOT)...toward the end he told my brother......*I know you are fake, but whether you are real or not, you are still a superhero*.....AW
  • Newegg is awesome. Last week, we bought a D-Link router from Newegg to replace/upgrade our mildly defective Linksys router. After struggling with their shitty uncooperative setup CD for well over an hour, we called their tech support. D-Link has pretty shitty tech support. Eventually, the Indian guy on the other end told me to return the device to the place where we bought it. We soon learned that Newegg has a $13 restocking fee for returned products. After a short amount of time on the phone with them, they waived our restocking fee and will pay 100% for shipping the shit router back. Needless to say, we will be buying our replacement router, whatever it may be, from Newegg.
  • edited June 2009
    And now I'm showing my kindergartners Totoro. :D

EDIT: And they have unanimously decided that Totoro is a giant bunny. XD
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • And now I'm showing my kindergartners Totoro. :D

EDIT: And they have unanimously decided that Totoro is a giant bunny. XD
    Yeah, Totoro is probably a better Miyazaki for kids than Castle in the Sky. Just don't let them see Princess Mononoke or Porco Rosso or...Pom Poko...*shudder*...and they'll be fine.
  • Pom Poko...*shudder*
    Pom Poko is so sad. I think westerners get freaked out by giant tanuki balls, but you gotta understand, old legends are weird like that.
  • Pom Poko...*shudder*
    Pom Poko is so sad. I think westerners get freaked out by giant tanuki balls, but you gotta understand, old legends are weird like that.
    Yeah. I'll probably see it someday.
    I'm just saying, it's probably not the best thing for Kindergartners. Parents might be a little miffed.

Brilliance. Sheer brilliance.
  • edited June 2009
    And now I'm showing my kindergartners Totoro. :D EDIT: And they have unanimously decided that Totoro is a giant bunny. XD
    Yeah, Totoro is probably a better Miyazaki for kids than Castle in the Sky. Just don't let them see Princess Mononoke or Porco Rosso or...Pom Poko...*shudder*...and they'll be fine.
    Adam took in Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and Howl's Moving Castle. They were all approved by the administration.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • And now I'm showing my kindergartners Totoro. :D EDIT: And they have unanimously decided that Totoro is a giant bunny. XD
    Adam took in Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and Howl's Moving Castle. They were all approved by the administration.
    Those all seem okay, though Howl's Moving Castle is slightly surprising, but I guess it's very tame compared to a few other Miyazaki films. Nausicaa would probably also be good.
  • Why is Howl's surprising? It is based on a children's book. We don't have Nausicaa on DVD.
  • Why is Howl's surprising? It is based on a children's book. We don't have Nausicaa on DVD.
    Well, some of Howl gets pretty violent. Not super violent, but kinda scary. Some of the things in there would've scared the crap out of me when I was in Kindergarten. But, I dunno. Maybe most kids are tougher than I am...I mean was...
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    Yup. That's why it wasn't on the DVD case. I don't understand why they didn't just wuss out and call it Rapyuta. It keeps with the Japanese pronunciation, but it does Lose the Swift reference (he named the city in his book that precisely because of it's meaning in Spanish). I think it's a workable solution.
    The thing about Swift is that the work he wrote is surprisingly an incredibly difficult book to read and is incredibly satirical, but yet it has this Victorian air to it. Also Laputa is only mentioned in a couple of chapters, and it still amazes me how Miyazaki took such a minor (despite the fact that it does have importance to the overall story) setting and made an entire movie out of it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Oh my god do I want these pillows!!
    So buying one of those when I move into my new apartment in Sept. (hopefully they'll be in stock again by then.)
  • Oh my god do I want these pillows!!
    So buying one of those when I move into my new apartment in Sept. (hopefully they'll be in stock again by then.)
    Oh mans. Setting up autonotify so I can snag a couple for the dorm room.
    Well, some of Howl gets pretty violent. Not super violent, but kinda scary. Some of the things in there would've scared the crap out of me when I was in Kindergarten. But, I dunno. Maybe most kids are tougher than I am...I mean was...
    LOL. Howl's was for the 3rd graders.
    Oh. Well...That's better then, I guess.
    Scary was 3 years will do...
  • edited June 2009
    Why is Howl's surprising? It is based on a children's book. We don't have Nausicaa on DVD.
    Oh. Well...That's better then, I guess.
    Scary was 3 years will do...
    Well if South Park is anything to go by, 3rd graders are hella tough!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Reading Chibi Miku on Danb-OH GOD SO CUTE!
  • I can't tell if this is a smart idea, or made for a REALLY small nitche market.