This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Gabe Newell and Erik Johnson are headed to Australia
    I know who Gabe Newell is, but who's Erik Johnson?
  • edited September 2009
    I hereby declare the Post-War Flashback story from Hajime no Ippo to be required reading for any manga fan. Since no english language publishers has ever picked up that series, here's a link to an online reader with scanlations. It starts on that page and goes for the next 250 pages or so (14 chapters).
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Now you can enjoy the best sport in the world played by the best teams.
    What, The Broncos and the Maroons?
  • Now you can enjoy the best sport in the world played by the best teams.
    Well, hockey season is about to start so you are correct :)
  • edited September 2009
    The D23 Expo (it's an official Disney convention) has been going on this weekend, and someone filmed the panel dealing with the World of Color show coming to California Adventure. Words cannot express how badly I want to see this show.

Moving flame-throwers! Holy crap!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009

An absolutely fascinating interview with the great Jhonen Vasquez. My idol is as awesome as he thought he was, and I want to own every single comic of his that is available.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I want to own every single comic of his that is available.
    The JTHM and Squee collections were my first foray into comic trades. While it's hard for me to still enjoy their plots like I did in eighth grade, Vasquez's art is fucking incredible, and I'm glad I own those books. Still been meaning to grab the Fillerbunny and I Feel Sick trades.
  • There are Fillerbunny and I Feel Sick trades? I could only find the individual issues when I was buying them.
  • edited September 2009
    There are Fillerbunny and I Feel Sick trades? I could only find the individual issues when I was buying them.
    Thought Fantagraphics Slave Labor put them out as trades recently. Could be wrong, though.

EDIT: Apparently there were simply too few issues for trades. Sorry, guys.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Jhonen Vasquez -- king of the Not-A-Goths. I saw walking around him at Comic-Con around '99, and I'd never seen him before, but I knew exactly who he was because he looked exactly like Johnny. I loved JTHM when it came out, but I tried to read it again recently, and couldn't get through it. I guess I'm just old now.

Also, that interviewer was a giant douche.
  • edited September 2009
    I loved JTHM when it came out, but I tried to read it again recently, and couldn't get through it. I guess I'm just old now.
    I've never seen someone who could say otherwise. I didn't even bring the Squee! and JTHM trades to college with me.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2009
    My Squee! trade is long gone, which is kinda unfortunate -- it had the "Meanwhile"s from JTHM, which were some of the best jokes in the series. "Somebody put shit in my pants!"
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • it had the "Meanwhile"s from JTHM, which were some of the best jokes in the series.
    I'd say that's the problem with JTHM as a whole: the side-jokes like Fillerbunny, the Meanwhiles, the random one-panel dragon named Bubbles, Happy Noodle Boy, etc., were often funnier than the core material itself.
  • I'd say that's the problem with JTHM as a whole: the side-jokes like Fillerbunny, the Meanwhiles, the random one-panel dragon named Bubbles, Happy Noodle Boy, etc., were often funnier than the core material itself.
    Is this another case of a talented person who refused to do what they're good at?
  • I'd say that's the problem with JTHM as a whole: the side-jokes like Fillerbunny, the Meanwhiles, the random one-panel dragon named Bubbles, Happy Noodle Boy, etc., were often funnier than the core material itself.
    Is this another case of a talented person who refused to do what they're good at?
    Maybe. Vasquez excels at violent and hilarious surrealism, but in JTHM he tried doing "deep" philosophy and metaphysics in the latter half of the series. It's one of of those cases where the author didn't realize you could be impressively cerebral without delving into existentialism or becoming pretentious in your execution.
  • edited September 2009
    I think JTHM is very amateur work for him. I greatly prefer I Feel Sick and Squee!, both of which I still enjoy immensely. I Feel Sick is proof that mixing in the philosophy and metaphysics while still remaining meaningful through the comedy could work, he just didn't achieve it in JTHM. And Squee! is just a pure riot. Invader Zim was his most polished work, for sure, and I think his most brilliant. I think that Vasquez is somewhat cursed in that his roughest work is his most iconic.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Kanye West interruption
    Kanye is just a meme machine.
  • edited September 2009
    This thread starts lame and grows into epicness (though filled with inside jokes)
  • Omnutia and I were doing the patented Walkin' around, lookin' around, And he spotted a music store, after we discovered that the chinese supermarket was closed, and he could not stock up on cheap RAMEN. We go in, have a chat to the owners, it turns out to be a DJ equipment and Vinyl store, and I learn Omnutia on how to vinyl properly. Before long, searching through the shelves, I find Daft punk's discovery album on Brand new, hardly touched 12's, so I slap them on a table, and call Omnutia over - Dude was in heaven for a good half hour, just spinning some Daft Punk. Made me feel happy to watch.
    Man, I would be in heaven too if that were me. I have to come to the UK sometime.
  • edited September 2009
    This threadstarts lame and grows into epicness (though filled withinside jokes)
    I've acquired a new sense of respect for this forum and the Vanilla Forum software. How can anyone read a forum such as that one you linked to? The same images quoted over and over and over, dozens of two word posts, everyone has a massive avatar image and stats which add no information, long sig files... Epicness may be hidden in that thread, but I'm not going to wade through shit to get to it.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I've acquired a new sense of respect for this forum and the Vanilla Forum software. How can anyone read a forum such as that one you linked to? The same images quoted over and over and over, dozens of two word posts, everyone has a massive avatar image and stats which add no information, long sig files... Epicness may be hidden in that thread, but I'm not going to wade through shit to get to it.
    I prefer larger avatars (100x100) myself, especially considering this forum seems to ruin the image quality of whatever avatars I upload, but I agree with your dislike of everything else mentioned. Vanilla forums for the freaking win.
  • My point about the avatar size was really this: the space the post takes up on the page should be proportional to the information contained in the post.
  • My point about the avatar size was really this: the space the post takes up on the page should be proportional to the information contained in the post.
  • Saw this last night when I was watching the tennis, but it's still an amazing point to watch, especially to setup match point.

Fun fact: Roger Federer has not lost a US Open match in 2,200 days.
  • edited September 2009
    Wow, that was pretty amazing, but man, those commentators are boring. Something amazing happens right before their eyes and they show next to no emotion. Yes, some initial surprise can be heard but it really shuts down almost immediately.
  • edited September 2009

How could this have ended differently?
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on