This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Yet compared to the books, James Bond is a god dam saint in the films. As I don't recall him turning any lesbians in the films, because you know, they hadn't met James Bond.
    Nah, Goldfinger the movie implied it heavily enough. Also, in the movie, he raped her. But it was TOTALLY OKAY because she liked it and it made her fall in love with him, saving the day.

I was watching the Bond movies over winter break and started shouting at my laptop when that happened.
  • edited January 2012
    Yet compared to the books, James Bond is a god dam saint in the films. As I don't recall him turning any lesbians in the films, because you know, they hadn't met James Bond.
    Nah, Goldfinger the movie implied it heavily enough. Also, in the movie, he raped her. But it was TOTALLY OKAY because she liked it and it made her fall in love with him, saving the day.

I was watching the Bond movies over winter break and started shouting at my laptop when that happened.
    To be fair, the movies and books were a number of years apart. As cringe-inducing as some of the movies were, the novels were ten times worse in that regard. There is a novel where bond is in Japan, and I don't think there is a single time where he actually just calls a Japanese person "Japanese", rather than an insulting racial epithet, and the women in the novels are usually little more than prime showcases for the general attitude towards women back in the 20s and 30s, at least among the more paleolithic macho tough guy set. The individual offenses to modern sensibilities are too numerous to list, you'd be able to write a companion book for damned near every book in the series, filled with only those.

Post edited by Churba on
  • The TV tropes for THIS
  • Is that how Obama normally writes? That was crazy / fantastic.
  • Is that how Obama normally writes? That was crazy / fantastic.
    Every lefty I know writes like that.

• The TV tropes for THIS
  • The TV tropes for THIS
    That can't be real.

• It reminds me of O Abnormal's reverse Monkey Grip.
  • Disney apparently has the rights to an Anne Frank film.
  • Can't say I wouldn't watch it, though.
  • edited January 2012
    Doublepost, whatever, this is too good to keep to myself.

So this is a wooden deckbox. It holds up to 100 sleeved cards (unsleeved naturally a couple more) in the main compartment, which flips around to essentially make a stand for the deck. On the front of it are four bead counters with 10 beads each. The top of the box has a magnetic lid, and a compartment for dice and other things and is large enough to hold common 20-sided dice.

Maybe something for you Dominion players.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Wow, that's pretty amazing for those who play CCGs. I'm going to share with my friends.
  • The TV tropes for THIS
    Fake and confirmed as fake in the discussion page.
  • The TV tropes for THIS
    My face was locked in that weird place between uncontrolled laughter and utter horror.

• The TV tropes for THIS
    Of course it is fake, but the fact one of my cohorts on TGWTG was able to organically will that into existence is hilarious enough.
  • The TV tropes for THIS
    Of course it is fake, but the fact one of my cohorts on TGWTG was able to organically will that into existence is hilarious enough.
    It's all good nazi hating fun! Who would think it's real!?
  • New College Humor series called 'Dire Consequences.' In the first episode they play rock-paper-scissors and the loser has to walk 50 miles to get milk.
    This, I like.
  • edited January 2012
    I made the customer service phone rep for Amazon giggle when I thanked her at the end of our call.

Probably because I was super nice even though FedEx lost my textbooks and I had to go on hold twice so she could check on things. The call took over an hour. But hey, she figured out what happened to my textbooks and got all but 1 of the missing books re-sent with 1-day delivery (tomorrow). The other one is one I can borrow from my roommate until it comes. It's not like it was Amazon's fault that the shipper lost the package. But I'm betting they get yelled at a lot by angry customers who have no other outlet for their rage.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited January 2012
    @Nuri

I've had similar success twice this week just being polite to people to get what I want instead of being a dick about it. I don't believe in Karma, but there was one time a flight was cancelled and the guy in front of me in a line for a ticket or claim was irate because of this. The machine (not even a person) gave him a discounted hotel room. I was nice to the poor bouncer-guy helping people out. The machine magically gave me a free room.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • The internet needs to start making stuff for real. We have too many good ideas, we should make them be realized. Disney's Anne Frank, Dudebro II, Pepperbox, etc. If an idea is good enough, we should make it real. It saddens me that in this age when we could collaborate to make everything, we rarely make anything.
  • That's how it's always been. Ideas are a dime a dozen. The follow-through is the hard part. That's why our IP law doesn't protect ideas. It says fuck your idea; write the book and then we'll talk.
  • edited January 2012
    George Lucas is retiring. Woohoo
    To quote, “Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

Yeah, woohoo, we forced someone to retire from doing what he loves, something he was by all accounts actually good at, by being fucking cunts to the guy, yeehah, let's celebrate!

I don't know about you, but I just feel sad that we've essentially browbeaten and bullied the guy to the point where he has to retire. Sure, this time, it's someone who has made a lot of money. I don't think that makes it any more acceptable, when we've bullied someone who was essentially harmless to the world, and indeed, did a lot of good, just because we didn't like a few movies he made, based on the movies he previously made that we liked.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • To quote, “Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

Yeah, woohoo, we forced someone to retire from doing what he loves, something he was by all accounts actually good at, by being fucking cunts to the guy, yeehah, let's celebrate!

I don't know about you, but I just feel sad that we've essentially browbeaten and bullied the guy to the point where he has to retire. Sure, this time, it's someone who has made a lot of money. I don't think that makes it any more acceptable, when we've bullied someone who was essentially harmless to the world, and indeed, did a lot of good, just because we didn't like a few movies he made, based on the movies he previously made that we liked.
    Yep, now I feel like a dick. Tried to come up with a witty retort but when you look at it how you put it it really is sad. Even if a of people do feel he bastardized some of his franchises you are right that it is not acceptable to want him to quit his passion.
  • Yep, now I feel like a dick. Tried to come up with a witty retort but when you look at it how you put it it really is sad. Even if a of people do feel he bastardized some of his franchises you are right that it is not acceptable to want him to quit his passion.
    Well, I didn't mean to specifically make you feel like a dick, but yeah, I'm not surprised. I feel like a bit of a dick too, to be honest, I've had a lot of cracks at him too. The sad thing is that few people like us will feel this way, but the majority of the internet will celebrate without a thought to it.

• edited January 2012
    *philosoraptor* Does the understanding of our monstrous acts make us more or less of a monster?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • *philosoraptor* Does the understanding of our monstrous acts make us more or less of a monster?
    Neither. Understanding a monstrous act after the fact doesn't make it or you any less monstrous.