This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• http://mapstalgia.tumblr.com/
    This is awesome. I have to do this sometime. I also want to see Scott try to reconstruct the entirety of The Legend of Zelda first quest from memory.
  • Tycho's commentary about Kotaku Core. My favorite line is, "it’s a big part of why I couldn’t call myself a Christian anymore. Also, I thought some premarital sex would really hit the spot.
    I love Tycho. It seems like he and I grew up in much the same way, according to this quote:

I grew up deeply religious, and so this kind of tribalism isn’t a new phenomenon to me - it’s a big part of why I couldn’t call myself a Christian anymore. Also, I thought some premarital sex would really hit the spot. I wasn’t wrong about that, either. Wow! But I remember hating people who didn’t believe what I believed, precisely because they didn’t believe it already, even though it was literally my job to help them understand. I had my own radio station and my own television station, and I told people I’d never met before to “get right, or get left,” which basically means “go to hell.” It didn’t work real well.

• Tycho's commentary about Kotaku Core. My favorite line is, "it’s a big part of why I couldn’t call myself a Christian anymore. Also, I thought some premarital sex would really hit the spot.
    I love Tycho. It seems like he and I grew up in much the same way, according to this quote:

I grew up deeply religious, and so this kind of tribalism isn’t a new phenomenon to me - it’s a big part of why I couldn’t call myself a Christian anymore. Also, I thought some premarital sex would really hit the spot. I wasn’t wrong about that, either. Wow! But I remember hating people who didn’t believe what I believed, precisely because they didn’t believe it already, even though it was literally my job to help them understand. I had my own radio station and my own television station, and I told people I’d never met before to “get right, or get left,” which basically means “go to hell.” It didn’t work real well.

I saved that to my "Random Quotes" file.
  • New Wes Anderson film, looks pretty good.

Win. Will see twice in theaters, just like I did with The Darjeeling Limited.
    What a great movie. I'm excited to see John McClane and Bill Murray acting together.

• That's... interesting...
  • I take that back. Just had pizza with pigs-in-a-blanket crust.
  • I think that might classify as a hatecrime, or a scientific breakthrough. I'm not sure which.
  • Speaking of hate crimes...
  • I remember when Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop appeared in "The Nanny". Oh, the 90's; I miss thee.
  • That video reminds me of how intense my dislike for the Dragon Ball Z English dub is, although that cast was not used in the US after a certain point but I hate both versions. I seemed to have forgotten after watching it subbed so much. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Dragon Ball (and Z) is one of those shows I don't like watching in Japanese, it just sounds wrong. The dub may bad, but it's my bad dub and I don't want Goku sounding like a little girl.
  • edited January 2012
    Dragon Ball (and Z) is one of those shows I don't like watching in Japanese, it just sounds wrong. The dub may bad, but it's my bad dub and I don't want Goku sounding like a little girl.
    I just have a problem with bad dubs drastically changing characters and even the story at points. At some points the dub is so bad that you might as well be watching a different show, although that is more Z than Dragon Ball or GT.

As far as the girl thing I can get that sort of. I have watched enough anime subbed to kind of ignore it as a lot shows have a character of one gender with a voice actor from the other, although far more common when child characters are involved. Also part of my not having a problem with Goku in specific is I love Masako Nozawa so that does play into it too.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • The DB and DBZ Spanish dub is one of the few times the Spanish version is superior to the original and the English version.
  • The DB and DBZ Spanish dub is one of the few times the Spanish version is superior to the original and the English version.
    You got your telenovela in my shonen fighting show. You got your shonen fighting show in my telenovela. And I am totally okay with this.

This is the movie that I'm anticipating the most in 2012. I recently (as in one month ago) became a Wes Anderson enthusiast when I saw Rushmore for the first time.

While I would not call it better than the original I would say that is probably the best dub outside of the original, well the Mexican Spanish dub that is.
  • If you like Rushmore, I suggest seeing The Royal Tenenbaums immediately. It's one of the few films I can say actually changed the way I look at the world.
  • If you like Rushmore, I suggest seeing The Royal Tenenbaums immediately. It's one of the few films I can say actually changed the way I look at the world.
    The Royal Tenenbaums is actually one of my favorite movies. The music, the visuals, and the writing of the characters are all really, really well done. How did it change your viewpoint?
    The Royal Tenenbaums is actually one of my favorite movies. The music, the visuals, and the writing of the characters are all really, really well done. How did it change your viewpoint?
    A number of different things. The foremost thing, though, is that when I saw it for the first time, my relationship with my dad was really, really bad. Though the reasons were definitely different, the resentment between Chas and Royal was pretty similar to how I felt. A lot of that film concerns Royal's attempts at redemption, and I realized that I probably shouldn't torch my bridge to my dad if there was still hope. There was, I didn't; we disagree sometimes, but we're pretty tight now.

Couple all that with the fact that I am a member of a sprawlingly large and sometimes quite dysfunctional family, and the film resonated pretty strongly with me.
  • No love for Life Aquatic?
  • No love for Life Aquatic?
    Dude, I was one of Team Zissou's Unpaid Interns (no Glock) for Halloween two years ago. Planning on bringing it full circle as Steve himself (with a Team Zissou wetsuit) next year.

No love for TLA? Don't even play.