This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• The DB and DBZ Spanish dub is one of the few times the Spanish version is superior to the original and the English version.
    While I would not call it better than the original I would say that is probably the best dub outside of the original, well the Mexican Spanish dub that is.
    You can't even start to imagine how many fans the voice actor for grown-up Goku has. To the point where he's known for being at times very nice, and at times very conceited. Instead, I like Piccolo's voice actor. He's downright hilarious.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2012
    If you like Rushmore, I suggest seeing The Royal Tenenbaums immediately. It's one of the few films I can say actually changed the way I look at the world.
    The Royal Tenenbaums is actually one of my favorite movies. The music, the visuals, and the writing of the characters are all really, really well done. How did it change your viewpoint?
    I remember you mentioning that it was one of your favorites to me years ago at an anime con when we were nerding out over movies, Emily. At that point, I only knew it by name and nothing else. Soon after seeing Rushmore, I went out and watched the rest of Anderson's filmography (The Darjeeling Limited, Hotel Chevalier, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Bottle Rocket. To some extent, I really loved all of them (Fantastic Mr. Fox being the best one by far). However, the only one I have not seen is The Royal Tenenbaums.

I've seen multiple trailers for it, but there is something about it that just isn't clicking with me for some reason. Perhaps it is both the bizarreness of the various members of the Tenenbaum family and the palpable, dysfunctional baggage between Chas and Royal that is scaring me away from it? The latter point in particular hits close to home for me personally because there is something of a disconnect between my father and I. I love my dad, but our relationship isn't as tight as it should be and I feel more of a connection with my mother, but I digress. With that in mind, do you think it would be a good idea for me to see it because I'm really not sure if I should or not?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • @Matt: I'll quote my other post from the last page and say that I think you should definitely see it.
    If you like Rushmore, I suggest seeing The Royal Tenenbaums immediately. It's one of the few films I can say actually changed the way I look at the world.
    The Royal Tenenbaums is actually one of my favorite movies. The music, the visuals, and the writing of the characters are all really, really well done. How did it change your viewpoint?
    A number of different things. The foremost thing, though, is that when I saw it for the first time, my relationship with my dad was really, really bad. Though the reasons were definitely different, the resentment between Chas and Royal was pretty similar to how I felt. A lot of that film concerns Royal's attempts at redemption, and I realized that I probably shouldn't torch my bridge to my dad if there was still hope. There was, I didn't; we disagree sometimes, but we're pretty tight now.

Couple all that with the fact that I am a member of a sprawlingly large and sometimes quite dysfunctional family, and the film resonated pretty strongly with me.
  • edited January 2012
    No love for Life Aquatic?
    I did like The Life Aquatic, but I felt like The Royal Tenenbaums was a more satisfying movie emotionally. They both have interesting uses of classic songs, though. I love both soundtracks.
    However, the only one I have not seen is The Royal Tenenbaums.
    I've seen multiple trailers for it, but there is something about it that just isn't clicking with me for some reason. Perhaps it is both the bizarreness of the various members of the Tenenbaum family and the palpable, dysfunctional baggage between Chas and Royal that is scaring me away from it? The latter point in particular hits close to home for me personally because there is something of a disconnect between my father and I. I love my dad, but our relationship isn't as tight as it should be and I feel more of a connection with my mother, but I digress. With that in mind, do you think it would be a good idea for me to see it because I'm really not sure if I should or not?
    I actually think that while it is about a family's not too stellar relationship with their erstwhile patriarch, it's really about the healing of the various rifts that have developed with time. Things don't end up perfect, some wounds leave scars, but I feel by the end of the movie there is closure of a very satisfying kind.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I approve of the last dozen or so posts related to the films of Wes Anderson.
  • Makgeolli is delicious. Find yourself a Korean market and try some.
  • TLA was so boring I couldn't finish it.

• Cyberization is only a matter of time.
  • edited January 2012
    Life Aquatic was kind of slow, yeah. It was a big climax at the end.
  • Life Aquatic was kind of slow, yeah. It was a big climax at the end.
    I crey errytime.

No, but seriously. I always, always tear up at the end of The Life Aquatic. My nose feels all tingly just thinking about it.
  • I WILL SELL A KIDNEY AND ALL SALABLE PORTIONS OF MY LIVER AND BLOOD PRODUCTS TO SEE THIS FILM MADE. FUCK.

• I'm so confused by everything and anything in that trailer.
  • I'm so confused by everything and anything in that trailer.
    Read this, stat: The Incal.

It's the best graphic novel I've ever read, and it's influenced everything from Blade Runner to REDLINE.
  • I found a small population of these in the mine today, at a depth of 400m near a primary air drive. Arachnids are awesome!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2012
    Life Aquatic was kind of slow, yeah. It was a big climax at the end.
    I crey errytime.

No, but seriously. I always, always tear up at the end of The Life Aquatic. My nose feels all tingly just thinking about it.
    I remember crying at the end of when I saw it for the first time as well. I should watch Life Aquatic right now, actually.
    I WILL SELL A KIDNEY AND ALL SALABLE PORTIONS OF MY LIVER AND BLOOD PRODUCTS TO SEE THIS FILM MADE. FUCK.

video

Jodorowski and Moebius?! That's practically an aesthetic design dream team, sign me up. Now if only Bill Plympton (Hair High) and Sylvain Chomet (Triplets of Belleville) teamed up to do something...
    Post edited by Geo on
  • What is the deal with that Incal trailer? Is it actually a work in progress or just a conceptual thing?
    The Incal is a really interesting comic book. I liked it a lot. BTW, Scott, that reminds me. Finish those comics, so we can send them back.
  • I WILL SELL A KIDNEY AND ALL SALABLE PORTIONS OF MY LIVER AND BLOOD PRODUCTS TO SEE THIS FILM MADE. FUCK.
    Jodorowski and Moebius?! That's practically an aesthetic design dream team, sign me up.
    Dude, it's already a comic book, with Moebius illustrating and Jodo writing. You have to read it. Also, once you have, you can play "Spot the Incal" when you watch a movie. I've gotten hits in Blade Runner (no surprise there), REDLINE, and The Fifth Element. It's based on the prep work Moebius and Jodo did for their attempt at a magnificent film version of Dune.
    What is the deal with that Incal trailer? Is it actually a work in progress or just a conceptual thing?
    I think it's just a conceptual thing. I hope it becomes real, one day. They also did some hand-animated ones for both The Incal and Arzach a while back; this one was meant to be a full-length feature, but production was scrapped. Maybe they'll start again!

• GeoGeo
    edited January 2012
    I was on the homepage of YouTube today and I glanced over at the "Recommended Viewing" section and saw a video that caught my interest. I clicked on it and I was greeted with a really sweet documentary/analysis on the works of Bill Melendez (the director of most of the Peanuts specials). I thought it was a nice, well made, well-researched and thought out video and I highly recommend that people watch it. The ending in particular caught me by surprise as it is somewhat relevant to a tangent that has occurred in this thread.

Post edited by Geo on
  • I don't even understand half of these yet they make me laugh like crazy.
    http://hazfalafel.com/
  • I don't even understand half of these yet they make me laugh like crazy.
    http://hazfalafel.com/
    Best one.
  • This is for all the New Yorkers here!

Squarepainter has a gallery now:

"My gallery setup at L'asso on Mott St on the lower east side, if you're in the Manhattan area please go check it out!"

• James bond - He's a bit of an arsehole, really.

• 839 sounds like a bit too much, even for Bond. Still, I think Moneypenny should make sure he gets screened before hitting that.
  • New College Humor series called 'Dire Consequences.' In the first episode they play rock-paper-scissors and the loser has to walk 50 miles to get milk.
  • edited January 2012
    This is for all the New Yorkers here!

Squarepainter has a gallery now:

"My gallery setup at L'asso on Mott St on the lower east side, if you're in the Manhattan area please go check it out!"
    Hot damn! That's that really good pizza place by the old office. I think I saw some of his work there before, because I always called L'asso "Retro Video Game Gourmet Pizza."
  • Yet compared to the books, James Bond is a god dam saint in the films. As I don't recall him turning any lesbians in the films, because you know, they hadn't met James Bond.