This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• And gamer transvestites.
  • Transvestite is a bullshit social construct. Clothing is gender neutral.
    Not fighting this one again, guys.
  • edited March 2012
    Well, to your credit, you can't lose the fight again, if you don't fight it again. So your win/loss record remains identical.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Well, to your credit, you can't lose the fight again, if you don't fight it again. So your win/loss record remains identical.
    Heh.

• Are there any examples of transvestites in ancient culture?
  • edited March 2012
    Are you counting men that played women in ancient theater? I don't, but it's good to set terms.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • How about women who play Peter Pan now?
  • edited March 2012
    How about women who play Peter Pan now?
    Not ancient culture.

Also, one likely example.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Still seemed like a relevant question to ask.
  • Pretty sure there were people who dressed their sons as girls to stop them being taken to war.
    Numerous, especially if you look to mythology. Thor dressed up like a woman to reclaim his hammer from some giants who stole it.

And don't get me started about Loki - he gave birth to an 8-legged horse.

Though I'm not sure that's quite what you're after. To be fair, though, there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between men's and women's clothing way back when anyhow. Really, it wasn't until we started developing very very gender-specific clothing that dressing as the other gender became noteworthy.
  • edited March 2012
    Are you counting men that played women in ancient theater? I don't, but it's good to set terms.
    How about women who play Peter Pan now?
    I would assume both of these cases count as cross-dressing, just like how we term cosplayers who dress as a character of the opposite gender "crossplay." I do feel that "transvestite" implies more a lifestyle as opposed to merely donning clothes in the course of your profession to play a role. I really can't say for sure. I will grant you that these words are often kind of difficult to define.
    Are there any examples of transvestites in ancient culture?
    Totally. I know there definitely were transvestites in Asia. (Mulan springs to mind as a legendary figure, as well as there being many Japanese boys who would dress as women.) There must have been tons of transvestites in Rome, too, but I don't really know. I am just guessing.

Post edited by gomidog on
  • Pretty sure there were people who dressed their sons as girls to stop them being taken to war.
    IIRC, it was relatively common for the sons of European nobility yo be dresses as girls for their first few years.
  • Crossplay is a word people use?
    Aliens.

• Crossplay is a word people use?
    Anime fans, yes. Like if a girl cosplays Sepheroth or Hetalia characters. You see it a lot with girls more than guys.
  • It did exsit but don't apply a modern view to the matter as it was a rather different thing dependant on the culture.
  • It's difficult to find examples of transvestites as we understand them (since the surgery really didn't exist outside of castration), but here are some examples of gender digression.
  • Transvestitism is just crossdressing. Transexuality involves gender reassignment. You can wear "woman's clothes" and still think of yourself as a man.
  • edited March 2012
    It's difficult to find examples of transvestites as we understand them (since the surgery really didn't exist outside of castration), but here are some examples of gender digression.
    Transvestites and Transgender are different things. Also, you don't have to have surgery to be either. Transvestite means that you wear clothes you identify with the opposite gender, Transgender is that you feel like you are more comfortable as the other gender, transsexual means that you get your body altered to be the shape of the other's sex characteristics.
    A person can be a transsexual transgender transvestite, but transvestites are often not interested in becoming transsexuals or getting gender reassignment surgery.
    Edit: What WUB said.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Yeah, that's kinda why I don't watch that channel anymore.
  • To be fair, they also extensively cover Hitler's connection with the alien conspiracy. I seem to remember a show with a massive CGI reconstruction of a Nazi drill. I don't know what the context for this was, as the sound was off.
  • The Power of Introverts
  • Double dose: I get to see the new Will Farrell movie tonight before it hits nationwide, and Trolling Chris Brown is hilarious.
  • Double dose: I get to see the new Will Farrell movie tonight before it hits nationwide, and Trolling Chris Brown is hilarious.
    Awesome.
  • Hey, progSHELL just made Trolling Chris Brown. Mad props!