This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• I agree. So is this:
  • edited March 2012
    You know they have this new thing called Caps Lock now. It can save you a lot of time and effort.
    I challenge thee, maiden of across the big blue water thing, to do the feat you describe, on my computer.

SPOILER: I will laugh.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I remap caps-lock to control, but it becomes a little bit of a pain when using irony caps.
  • Maybe you should get a modern computer that works.
  • This is a pretty good image of the last decade:
    http://picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=101 + the two following comics.
  • My computer works perfectly fine, miss. It's a matter of personal choice and individual settings that turns said Caps Lock key into one of actual use. Seeing as how I am a capable typist and can find my way around a keyboard while having a specific key depressed for an amount of time. Using Shift, in my personal experience, is also faster, though indeed requires more 'effort' in terms of the physical 'exertion' required to keep a key depressed for such a long, long time as I do to write such magnificently grand comments as the one we are discussing.

What I find most perplexing is that nobody has yet commented on the fact that, even though I solely used the Shift key to produce my wondrously large text, I still ended up with a bunch of ones, instead of exclamation marks. It's a mystery.
  • I just swap caps lock and escape. The positions make more sense that way and you don't lose out on either. Really helps with vim.
  • What do you see?
    I will murder you if you fail to recognize even one of these iconic patterns. I will use barbed wire.
    Simpsons, TMNT, South Park, Smurfs, Asterix, Sesame Street, Duck Tails, and Lucky Luke
  • That's stupid and obvious, but I lol'd anyway.
  • My computer works perfectly fine, miss. It's a matter of personal choice and individual settings that turns said Caps Lock key into one of actual use.
    You know, just because someone says there is this technology that makes things easier doesn't mean (1) you automatically are assumed to have it already, and (2) you have to go out and get it.

If you choose not to use a function, that's your choice. Doesn't mean the caps lock function isn't a useful and efficient way to type in all caps.

• BUT TYPING WITH CAPS LOCK ON IS SO MUCH LESS SATISFYING. HOLDING DOWN SHIFT REALLY MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M YELLING!!!!

• This not really news as I have known about this kind of thing for a while but I am curious at how many others know it as well. Also, red dye/flavor is not the only one that is made with bugs.
  • edited March 2012
    Meh, doesn't bother me. I've eaten cooked insects before, which is a hell of a lot more direct that having something made from processed bugs in my starbucks, and the second point, the only reason I go to Starbucks is to get an enormous, cheap and drinkable coffee quickly, not to get an over-priced frappé.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You know, just because someone says there is this technology that makes things easier doesn't mean (1) you automatically are assumed to have it already, and (2) you have to go out and get it.

If you choose not to use a function, that's your choice. Doesn't mean the caps lock function isn't a useful and efficient way to type in all caps.
    But the "easier" here is, just, like, totally your opinion. Holding a modifier key is a lot easier, and faster in my case, than toggling the silly lock. There's a reason why you use Shift at the start of a sentence instead of Caps Lock. It's a lot faster, and at that point, you're already holding shift, why let go, toggle the lock, continue typing, toggle off the lock and finish up? I say, do try it yourself, just hold that shift down after you start your sentence proper and keep typing. The only problem you can run into is not being able to cover three more letters, half of which are rare in use to begin with.

Seriously, for me, Caps Lock default is the most useless key on my keyboard. Shift is just below it, and I'm much more used to holding that Shift key to produce a capital letter. Just, try it and see if it works for you. I bet, assuming you are a capable typist (instead of a single digit pecker), that you'll have no problems. Report back in appropriate, expected form if you will. :)
  • Oh, I do use the shift key for short strings of capital letters. If I'm going for a whole sentence or more, though, I usually will switch to the lock. It's not at all inconveniently placed for me, and it helps me avoid getting cramps in my hands from weirdly stretching my fingers.
  • edited March 2012
    This not really news as I have known about this kind of thing for a while but I am curious at how many others know it as well. Also, red dye/flavor is not the only one that is made with bugs.
    Known since early high school. Doesn't mean shit. I already eat highly processed animals, plants, moulds, bacteria and other microscopic lifeforms so who the fuck cares if processed parts of bugs are put in my already processed food? The taste only changes when you're being shallow, silly and/or stupid.
    Oh, I do use the shift key for short strings of capital letters. If I'm going for a whole sentence or more, though, I usually will switch to the lock. It's not at all inconveniently placed for me, and it helps me avoid getting cramps in my hands from weirdly stretching my fingers.
    Now, would you say that the post I made was short? So we agree on that. I have yet to come across an instance where it would make sense to write a large paragraph, or multiple paragraphs in all capitals. A few short sentences are far from any strain upon my fingers, so I don't suffer any problem in that regard either. Thus making the Caps Lock key's function utterly useless to me.

I never said the key's in an inconvenient place, it's the default function assigned to it is just dumb. Just look where the other lock keys are on your keyboard. Not on their relevant home-row. On the opposite, they're grouped with other control keys that find less use than other keys. This is why I assign it to be an additional Ctrl, seeing as how that key is used a lot more in my everyday use, meaning the flexibility of using either Ctrl below Shift, or Ctrl on the home-row makes my life a lot more pleasant. Also no way to accidentally enable the useless function.

Fuck you too Vanilla edit time limit. There is still no reasonable reason or explanation for your existence.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Think this one explains itself.
  • edited March 2012
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Batman visits kids in hospitals.
    his [not dead] parents are friends of my wife's family...
    Not Batman. Still awesome as fuck, though.
  • This should be in every subway station.
  • The world needs more slides.

Anyway, Scott made a thread about a panacea, and that immediately made me think of this:
  • Anyway, Scott made a thread about a panacea, and that immediately made me think of this:
    Yup, that's exactly where my mind went too.

• Magnum. For pleasure seekers.
  • Shit, you guys are only JUST getting magnums? They're pretty damned good.

• Shit, you guys are only JUST getting magnums? They're pretty damned good.
    I think it was halfway through last year we got them but it could have been earlier as that is when I first noticed them at the store.