This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Crap! I remember that!! That's Awesome.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • That still makes me tear up.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    Oh my sweet Jesus...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/21/jim-parsons-harvey-exclusive-photo/

Jim Parsons (Sheldon in Big Bang Theory) to star in Broadway performance of Harvey as Elwood P. Dowd.

June 14 to August 5 @ Studio 54, New York City
    Post edited by Geo on
  • USMC: Infantry now open to female volunteers.

Somewhere, Newt Gingrich's misogynist mind recoils in terror as feminists cheer.
  • Did those renders come from the 90s?
    A log has hard core games like hardwoods in a lumberjack competition.
  • Don't forget log rolling.
  • edited April 2012
    Don't forget log rolling.
    Do not forget the caber toss either.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • I had that as my ringtone for a while before I switched phones.

• Wow. Those were all impersonators? I mean, some of the, yeah, but the others? Crap. They're good.
  • edited April 2012
    It appears that if you Register a Print Book on O'Reilly Media and add the (occasionally offered) Upgrade Ebook for $4.99 to your cart, the $5 price tag will apply to any other Ebook you add to your cart as well. I just bought $150 worth of books for $20! It's like a tech manual Steam sale!

I'm telling you guys about this now, but after work, I'm gonna open a ticket with them and be a good Samaritan.

Update: Looks like it's linked with the discount code "MYEP9". I don't know if it's a bug or just a very quiet marketing maneuver anymore.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • A log has hard core games like hardwoods in a lumberjack competition.
    *Ahem* They are called timber sports, thankyouverymuch.

And yeah. We're required to wear Kevlar chaps. Totally hardcore.

• Valve's Handbook for New Employees is so good. Here's a quote from the glossary:
    Fishbowl—The conference room by the lunchroom. The one with a big
    glass wall. Don’t let the name throw you—we don’t actually use it as a
    fishbowl! Except, of course, on Fishbowl Fridays, where we fill it up with ten
    thousand gallons of putrid saltwater so that all the manta rays and sharks
    will have something to breathe while they fight to the death. You won’t see
    it in your list of benefits, not because it isn’t fun, but because it is illegal.
    http://cdn.flamehaus.com/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf
  • ON a more serious note, I really like their description of the "T-shaped Person". I'm going to steal and use that.
  • [Picture of Nuri Engaged in Timber Sports]
    So. Fucking. Badass.
  • [Picture of Nuri Engaged in Timber Sports]
    So. Fucking. Badass.
    Nah, in that one I'm just cheering. This is the one where I'm engaged.

• Wait, did you go to the Forestry School?
  • ON a more serious note, I really like their description of the "T-shaped Person". I'm going to steal and use that.
    I enjoy it on a serious level as well, but the funny stuff is what gets people to click the link :P
  • Valve's Handbook for New Employees is so good. Here's a quote from the glossary:
    Fishbowl—The conference room by the lunchroom. The one with a big
    glass wall. Don’t let the name throw you—we don’t actually use it as a
    fishbowl! Except, of course, on Fishbowl Fridays, where we fill it up with ten
    thousand gallons of putrid saltwater so that all the manta rays and sharks
    will have something to breathe while they fight to the death. You won’t see
    it in your list of benefits, not because it isn’t fun, but because it is illegal.
    http://cdn.flamehaus.com/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdfI seriously wish I was talented enough to work at Valve.
  • edited April 2012
    And yeah. We're required to wear Kevlar chaps. Totally hardcore.
    It's actually quite exciting to watch, I go to the wood chop every time I'm at a fair or exhibition that has one. Some of the best axemen and woodcutters in the world, around here.

Got to handle one of their axes, once, big broad-headed thing - and still sharp enough to shave hairs from your arm. I recall one memorable demonstration, where they had a pretty good professional axeman(not the best, but pretty good) and set him against a chainsaw. And as you guessed by the fact I'm telling you this tale, he won by a significant margin.

Also, nine and his cat go outside in the winter -

Post edited by Churba on
  • Wait, did you go to the Forestry School?
    Yeah. I have a BS in Forest Management.