This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• I like the stepper
  • http://coedtoplesspulpfiction.wordpress.com/
    Happy Book Time in the NYC park (contains Boobs)
    It says coed, but only women are pictured. Male gaze much?
    And for those of you who have asked why a co-ed group never seems to have guys present, it’s because a) we don’t invite many, and b) those we do invite tend to be camera shy. But today we were joined by a friend who saw us beating the heat the prelapsarian way (reading! it builds your vocabulary!) and took the plunge alongside us. In the name of equality, we share.
    NSFW http://coedtoplesspulpfiction.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/0622-zzl.jpg

I thought that she sounded a little insecure when her first advice to guys was "walk on by" and her SECOND advice was "sit down and read with us", but I understand where that comes from.

I don't get the below-the-waist nudity. In her other entries she talks about the right to go topless in public spaces. The nudist stuff doesn't jibe with that. Maybe she explains it in another entry that I missed.
  • edited July 2012
    Posted three times already.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I guess it just keeps getting better every time.
  • Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse, a series of three-minute shorts about Barbie.

Yes, I'm being serious.
  • edited July 2012
    Oh The Onion, you always know just what to say.
    Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse, a series of three-minute shorts about Barbie.

Yes, I'm being serious.
    Whoa, ok, I was not expecting this. It seems like they took some cues from Toy Story 3.
    Post edited by Sail on
    Yes, I'm being serious.
    Did you mean to put this in the "WTF of your day" thread?

Yes, I'm being serious.
    Did you mean to put this in the "WTF of your day" thread?
    No. Although it may deserve it for being so unexpectedly not terrible.
    I'm going to have to dispute you on this one. I didn't find it funny, and joking about Tosh getting raped trivializes it just as much as the other way around.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm going to have to dispute you on this one. I didn't find it funny, and joking about Tosh getting raped trivializes it just as much as the other way around.
    It's not supposed to be funny, it's supposed to be poignant. That was my reading of it, anyway. It's basically showing how sick you'd have to be to laugh about that happening to a person.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited July 2012
    Alright call me a bad person, I don't give a fuck. I chuckled a little at that article.

EDIT: People are going to find different things offense.

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited July 2012
    The Tosh article makes three statements. One, rape is horrible and fucks your mind up for life. Two, Tosh's joke that "rape is always funny" is stupid. Three, rape can be funny if you present the idea of it properly (I thought the article was funny, anyway). D.T. just got put down and showed up.

Post edited by Walker on
  • I think the best comment of this whole issue goes to this guy.
    I think we all learned something today, never go to a Dane Cook show.
  • The first clip is what I want you all to see. This guy finished his segment like a BOSS.

• edited July 2012
    [George Carlin routine]
    That... wasn't funny. Like, at all. Sure, he's right in that a joke involving rape can be funny if you're very good and approach the joke the right way. But then he failed to approach the joke the right way, ever.

Want a funny routine involving rape? Here's one:

You know why it can be funny and not painful? Because among other things, nobody actually gets raped.

This piece from Culturemap: Austin comes pretty close to my feelings on rape jokes, and why they're so much more hurtful than most other joke subjects, and therefore why you should never employ them without extreme caution.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited July 2012
    I don't think Wanda Sykes is funny ever. That is a pretty good article though.

You probably won't like this then but I do like that he brings up the other, much less heard, side of the argument.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited July 2012
    "That's the most gansta shit..."

Lost it right there.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I get the feeling this has been posted before but it is new to me.
    And this one too.
  • [George Carlin routine]
    That... wasn't funny. Like, at all. Sure, he's right in that a joke involving rape can be funny if you're very good and approach the joke the right way. But then he failed to approach the joke the right way, ever.
    There is no right way to approach a joke. There are right ways to write preform one, I'm sure, but beyond that it comes down the style of the comedian and the taste of his audience. Everyone's sense of humor is different. However, I would posit that anyone who can make an entire crowd laugh in earnest about rape, murder, death, and disease is a skilled comedian. Carlin, The Onion, and Sykes all made people laugh over rape and never requested radio edits (to my knowledge). Tosh fucked up, lost his audience, and turned a heckler into a victim.
  • edited July 2012
    No. Both the Onion article and that Carlin routine trivialize rape in a very bad way, and that is actually not acceptable. If you seriously think that making most of an audience of lowest-common-denominator white men laugh is sufficient justification for the kind of fear and psychological pain a rape joke can cause for the women in the audience (rape survivors or not), I really have nothing more to say except that you're a terrible fucking person.

Good day.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited July 2012
    Linkigi, I agree with this article you linked, but I have to disagree with you about the Onion article. It didn't trivialize rape at all - it took the matter quite seriously. What it did was mock Tosh's "wouldn't it be funny if that girl got raped by like, five guys right now" comment. Why? Because in order to justifiably have that attitude, he would indeed have to be able to laugh through his own rape.

That Carlin routine I agree somewhat about, though I didn't find it very funny so I have no inclination to defend it anyway.

I found this article was a decent response to this whole issue, and I think most of the examples given there for rape jokes that work were pretty good ones.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2012
    Linkigi, I'd be much more interested in listening to your side of the discussion if I could actually hear you up on that high horse of yours. I can understand getting passionate about a topic, but starting off a point with "That wasn't funny" or "No" doesn't work in your favor all that well. Also, way to assume that George Carlin and/or Onion fans are "lowest-common-denominator". K thanks :)
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Linkigi, I'd be much more interested in listening to your side of the discussion if I could actually hear you up on that high horse of yours. I can understand getting passionate about a topic, but starting off a point with "That wasn't funny" or "No" doesn't work in your favor all that well. Also, way to assume that George Carlin and/or Onion fans are "lowest-common-denominator". K thanks :)
    I actually started to reply to him, but I simply had to stop - I like the guy, and it was pretty much just a paragraph of "What the fuck do you think you're doing, dude?" stated in various ways, each at a different level of insulting. But, I decided against it, because I'd rather not hurt the lad's feelings, when I can achieve the goal in a much more simple way.

Linkigi. Pull your fuckin' head in. You have a point buried in there somewhere, but it's lost among all the pretentiousness and judgemental bollocks.

First - You're not better than these people. You're just another person with a different opinion, and you've not the right nor place to judge anyone. You should know better - Social justice is about equality, and bringing everyone up to the same level, even the people you don't fucking like. Not about tacitly declaring yourself superior, judging people, and kicking them down so that some others might climb up, if they agree with you.

The path you're on is only three or so steps back from the really shitty side of the social justice movement, where it's considered acceptable, for example, to call the people you're ostensibly aiming to raise up "Special Snowflake" when they disagree - Because obviously, the social justice movement, even the shitty side, wouldn't use horrible terms like "Uncle Tom" or "House nigger". So they just came up with their own, instead.

Second - You don't deem what is acceptable and not acceptable. Full stop. You are certainly allowed an opinion, you've certainly the right to state your case, But you are not the final arbiter of what is right and wrong, and you'd damned well better stop acting like it, because it helps nothing and noone.

Third, and carrying on from the end of the last point - Carrying on with this pretentious, judgmental, high horse bullshit doesn't help the cause of social justice. In fact, it retards it, because people simply ignore you as a pretentious pillock, rather than listening to your ideals, which are good and just.

If you cannot learn to deal with things in a calm and reasonable manner, just because they are topics you are passionate about, or causes you think are just and right, then please, step back from the social justice movement, I'm asking you as a friend. Because I know you care about this, and frankly, if our roles were reversed, I think you'd rather see me step back and do nothing, or at least support silently, rather than retard the cause by acting like an arrogant pillock and throwing my weight around.
  • edited July 2012
    Like many people have said, I think its really all about how its done. My main issue is not the jokes being offensive, but of them reminding someone of a horrific event. I don't really give a fuck if a joke offends someone, but if a stupid joke reminds them of the pain they went though, I can't say I support it. I'm sure theres something to be said about the jokes taking the power away from the issue, and making it more easy to talk about, but again it's really all how the joke is done. And really, there are a lot of subjects that we joke about that could remind people of a horrible memory, though maybe not quite as bad. All that being said, I couldn't comment without posting this:
    Black Bear Attacks, Rapes, Zookeeper

Grin and bear it! Barry, an 850 lb. black bear, got a little frisky
    with zookeeper Ron Gilks. The anal rape is believed to be the first
    inter-special coupling in Metro Zoo history.

Here's a little dog-bites-man tale we couldn't resist! Except
    replace "dog" with "850-pound black bear"! And "bites" with "anally
    violate"!

Yes, last Saturday a zookeeper at the Metropolitan Zoo had
    "claws" for alarm when he was attacked and raped by the same black
    bear he had raised from a cub! Geez, talk about gratitude!

"It was horrible, just horrible," sobbed an eyewitness. Guess
    she sure got an eyeful!

The bear, named "Barry," attacked zookeeper Ron Gilks as Gilks
    entered the cage to give him dinner. Barry lunged at his throat,
    goring him with his huge claws and razor-sharp teeth. Some of the claw
    marks were three-quarters of an inch deep. Ouch!

Then, astonished onlookers could "bearly" believe what happened
    next--Barry began to brutally rape zookeeper Gilks!

Frantic zookeepers rushed for rifles as others tried to divert
    the bear. But there was no stopping Barry! This bear kept "bearing
    down," and Gilks just had to grin and "bear" it! Maybe Barry was
    mistaking him for his "honey"!

Gilks was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital. A full quart
    of bear semen was extracted from his ruptured chest cavity. And that's
    no small Boo-Boo!

Barry's 27-inch phallus, armed with guard hairs as sharp as
    red-hot needles, shot through Gilks' rectum, shattered his lower spine
    and skewered his colon, causing his entire lower torso to "cave" in!
    Yikes! Bet that wasn't the type of "cave" you had in mind when you
    took up zookeeping, Mr. Gilks!

And can you imagine Gilks' surprise when Barry's putrid ursine
    semen flooded his ruptured chest cavity? (By the way, Mr. Gilks,
    whatever cologne you've been wearing, where can the public get some?)

Finally, zookeeper Eric Pulliam shot Barry with a tranquilizer
    gun and pulled Gilks from the cage. The unconscious bear was later
    destro. Hey, this "Yogi" made a major "Boo-Boo"!

"I have worked with dangerous animals before," zoo director Kate
    Donegal said. "But never have I seen any animal sexually assault a
    human being." "Barry"? Try "Scary"!

Meanwhile, Gilks was pronounced dead at an area hospital--but at
    least he died grinning and bearing it! No doubt, this episode gives
    new meaning to the term, "Do not feed the bears!"
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • That George Carlin clip was funny, I don't see the problem there.
  • Like many people have said, I think its really all about how its done. My main issue is not the jokes being offensive, but of them reminding someone of a horrific event.
    Exactly, this is what I don't really get about any of this "joke about rape" stuff. People keep saying "well if it is done well then you can joke about rape". It seems that everyone keeps implying that if you do it well no one gets hurt. This is literally impossible. Someone will undoubtedly be offended by it. Think of all the bullshit that people get offended about that seems utterly absurd. Rape isn't "bullshit" or "absurd" but you see my point. There will always be someone offended by something, whether its a joke or not, regardless of how trivial or nontrivial the catalyst is.
  • Someone will undoubtedly be offended by it.
    This literally applies to anything you can imagine.
  • Whether or not people find it offensive is not the main issue here at all, and it isn't what Linkigi was discussing.