This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• I'm a scientist. Putting things in boxes is what I do. I could probably categorize your spiritual beliefs after a 15 minute conversation.
    It's your prerogative to be this arrogant, but it's not going to win you any converts.

I'm sure your religious taxonomy skills are excellent but labels in areas of grand subjectivity like religion and spirituality hamper rather than facilitate discussion.
    What's there to convert you to? Categorization is a descriptive process. It has no aim other than categorization.

Labels only hamper discussion because people are poor labelers, and there is a general attitude telling people that being labeled is bad.

By the time you got done adequately labeling every spiritualist belief "system" available out there, you'd be fully qualifying your categorizations well beyond the number of levels currently used for living organisms. It's not practical to be thorough to the degree you'd need in order not to avoid incorrectly lumping two similar beliefs together and address them inaccurately. There be a lot of play in that shit, bro.
    Sure, but you don't actually need to label all aspects of a philosophy, in most cases.

The odds are that your beliefs are 80% similar to something out there that is already known. Maybe a combination of a couple of things, but not much more than that. So, we apply a label that gets us most of the way there, and describe the differences.

When you do this, you'll find that most people do fall mostly within certain categories, and there are a handful of differences that are actually important.

Most people self-identify not by gross similarity to others - they'll do it by small differences to a similar group.

Political views are similar in that regard. I used to be one of those guys who said, "You can't define my views! I don't fit any party!" Bullshit. I'm 89% Democrat. I differ on some issues here and there, but the bulk of my identity is in line with an existing label.

And why shouldn't it be? We learn philosophies and points of view from other people - so it stands to reason that if we participate in society, we will have views that aren't that wildly different from others in our circles.

I think it's arrogant to look at other people with whom you interact and say, "Well, that certainly applies to you, but I'M different. You can't describe me because I'm so not you." No, we're honestly not all that different.
  • Wow, was that a triple negative in my final paragraph there? Holy cheese shits.
  • Yeah, it took me a couple of reads.
  • This is what happens when I edit 2 or 3 times, don't proofread, hit submit, then go get a coffee.
  • Were Youtube not blocked, I'd post the video of Weird Al applauding Eminem's double and triple negatives.
  • I'm a scientist. Putting things in boxes is what I do. I could probably categorize your spiritual beliefs after a 15 minute conversation.
    It's your prerogative to be this arrogant, but it's not going to win you any converts.

I'm sure your religious taxonomy skills are excellent but labels in areas of grand subjectivity like religion and spirituality hamper rather than facilitate discussion.
    I too believe in boxism. With enough boxes we can categorize everything in the world and then beyond.
    So, you need to secure a supply of boxes?

Tap the strategic box reserves?

This is your new pickup line.

I too believe in boxism. With enough boxes we can categorize everything in the world and then beyond.
    So, you need to secure a supply of boxes?

Tap the strategic box reserves?

This is your new pickup line.

We can't become dependent on foreign boxes. What if we hit peak box?

• I've definitely seen a few boxes that have peaked...
  • Thank Science Chick-Fil-A finally realised what "christian values" means.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/chick-fil-a-anti-gay-organizations-funding-ceased_n_1896580.html
    Gonna buy a chicken sandwich to support this decision even though Chick-Fil-A isn't that great.

• It is funny to read the comments of their FB page. Sooo many angry people that just don't get it.
  • I wonder if the people that supported CFA's bigotted views by flocking to the restaurant (under the guise of "free speech") will now boycott it. Sigh, I really fear for humanity sometimes.
  • We bought thousands of dollars worth of French wine so that we could pour it into the streets, renamed a Belgian delicacy, and boycotted an American mustard company to protest the French not involving themselves in our war. I don't think the populous is capable of lowering the bar any farther.
  • I don't remember the wine thing.
  • Whelp, I'm going to see Iron Sky next Thursday. For those who forget when I last gushed about it here....

• edited September 2012
    Been waiting since the premier in Berlin. It has been while since I've seen a popcorn action comedy.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • I should buy the DVD and rewatch that movie.
  • Been waiting since the premier in Berlin. It has been while since I've seen a popcorn action comedy.
    I recommend it. It's not a great movie, but it has some funny parts, and a few really good lines.
  • Holy Crap! I am not a big Le Mis fan but they are doing the source material justice in this!

• I am going to show that to my wife, I am pretty sure she will be even more excited as she is a big Les Misérables fan.
  • OMG! The FP is streaming on Netflix!
  • I met Steve Wozniak today. That was kinda cool.
  • edited September 2012

I can't stop laughing.
    Post edited by Banta on

So what would you take?

1. Computer
    2. Internet
    3. Phone

The phone primarily to act as a second source of internet. Assuming a standard plan of 2GB per month, I can use that to peruse the web (minus youtube) without any problems. Let's me use the 3GB for the computer purely for downloading, youtube, and manga (because reading manga on a smartphone is a bitch).

4. Video games

I mostly play PC games, so getting the consoles wold be pointless for me.

5. Garden and pool
    6. Boxxy

Animals are better companions than humans, and to get the dog without the yard for it to frolic (and poop) in would be stupid. Also, the pool comes with a human to chat with. Probably a 20-something asshat, but whatever.

7. Pen and paper
    8. The Japanese girl
    9. The blonde girl

The Japanese girl could easily learn English in ten years, and since the blonde girl speaks three languages, she'd be an excellent teacher. Intelligent conversation is not something I'd want to pass up either. They also bring my total human count up to three, just enough people to play some RPG's and boardgames (made from my paper stock) when everyone gets bored.

10. 2 plates of food

Fuck gruel, I want to eat good things.
  • Did anyone else get annoyed that revolvers don't have magazines?