This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Want for Halloween!

Sadly the shipping takes too long...

Also Pikachu

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • This is a good way to waste 15-20 minutes. Here are my results:

Vaporeon really should be #2, but it faced off against Gardevoir too early.

I don't know why Totodile isn't on my list. Or why Vespiquen is there.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    This is an instructional video on how to build a Nintendo out of a toaster. It is called the Nintoaster. If you are follower of the AVGN, you might remember this guy from some of his videos.

Like the guy says, don't attempt this project if you do not know anything about electronics or using a soldering iron.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Best way to learn to use a soldering iron is to start using a soldering iron.
  • Best way to learn to use a soldering iron is to start using a soldering iron.
  • edited October 2012
    Best way to burn yourself is to start using a soldering iron.
    ftfy
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited October 2012
    he had me at the inanimate carbon rod.

Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited October 2012
    Wow. I love that. I want to cosplay as Trunks, or a tetris block, or Arnold from Hey! Arnold...
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • edited October 2012
    Pretty great montage from the weekend. Shows a couple of the smaller charges that occurred.. although I wasn't a part of any of it. It's still amazing to me, how many different things were going on all at once. If I end up going next year, I'm gonna try to be involved with more of the open-field play rather than the woods stuff. In the woods, I barely saw who I was shooting at. Fucking 'nam.

This one shows the layout of one of the bases we were defending too. It was pretty incredibly done, layered defensive trenches and a watchtower.

HA! And our anti-tank weapon, which is shown here shelling one of the bases.

Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Pretty great montage from the weekend. Shows a couple of the smaller charges that occurred.. although I wasn't a part of any of it. It's still amazing to me, how many different things were going on all at once. If I end up going next year, I'm gonna try to be involved with more of the open-field play rather than the woods stuff. In the woods, I barely saw who I was shooting at. Fucking 'nam.

God DAMN IT people, maintain spacing! Stay in formation! Cover your fucking sectors!
  • Pretty great montage from the weekend. Shows a couple of the smaller charges that occurred.. although I wasn't a part of any of it. It's still amazing to me, how many different things were going on all at once. If I end up going next year, I'm gonna try to be involved with more of the open-field play rather than the woods stuff. In the woods, I barely saw who I was shooting at. Fucking 'nam.

God DAMN IT people, maintain spacing! Stay in formation! Cover your fucking sectors!
    You joke, but that stuff actually pays off. There was a point when I was covering a road crossing with a M249 SAW, and a group of dudes decided it would be best to try to cross as a bunched up group. Nailed them all with a nice, long string.

You joke, but that stuff actually pays off. There was a point when I was covering a road crossing with a M249 SAW, and a group of dudes decided it would be best to try to cross as a bunched up group. Nailed them all with a nice, long string.
    I'm not joking.

I'm not joking.

Well then, you'd fit right in.
  • edited October 2012
    I need to prototype an airsoft mortar. Maybe something that fires shells that are balloons (hydrogen? LP?) in a paper towel tube or an empty tin can with BBs, using bang snaps as an impact trigger.

If you built it right, you'd be able to predict the trajectory mathematically. You could have a mortar crew doing artillery support. Using hydrogen would make a big boom, but probably wouldn't accelerate the BBs to speeds greater than 250fps.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I need to prototype an airsoft mortar. Maybe something that fires shells that are balloons (hydrogen? LP?) in a paper towel tube or an empty tin can with BBs, using bang snaps as an impact trigger.

If you built it right, you'd be able to predict the trajectory mathematically. You could have a mortar crew doing artillery support. Using hydrogen would make a big boom, but probably wouldn't accelerate the BBs to speeds greater than 250 fps.
    Indirect fire brings up the possibility of hitting someone with the projectile itself. Can you design a "shell" that can pop somebody in the head at terminal velocity without injuring them?
  • I need to prototype an airsoft mortar. Maybe something that fires shells that are balloons (hydrogen? LP?) in a paper towel tube or an empty tin can with BBs, using bang snaps as an impact trigger.

If you built it right, you'd be able to predict the trajectory mathematically. You could have a mortar crew doing artillery support. Using hydrogen would make a big boom, but probably wouldn't accelerate the BBs to speeds greater than 250fps.
    Already Exists.

Check out the third link I posted. We had an AT weapon firing all day, both days which was doing what you're saying. The only difference would be the projectile.

In most organized games, there's going to be a target that you can hit on bunkers with a heavy weapon (nerf ball, rubber grenade fired from a M203, etc) which will take out everyone inside the bunker.

Other than that, most fields don't allow hot pyrotechnics, so you'd have to figure out a way to launch BB's aside from that.
  • Oh! CO2 balloon with a thumbtack impact trigger. Wrap the can in foam backer rod, and you're good to go.
  • Already Exists.
    That's not a mortar, it's a rocket launcher. Mortar shells are not self propelled.
  • edited October 2012
    Already Exists.
    That's not a mortar, it's a rocket launcher. Mortar shells are not self propelled.
    I'm willing to forgive it, since by your definition, an L16/M252 mortar isn't a mortar, nor are most-if-not-all modern infantry-carried mortars, since every single one that I can think of off the top of the top of my head uses shells that carry their own propellant charge, rather than having a separate charge. The Tube being, essentially, a barrel with a firing pin at the bottom. Then again, I'm likely missing a few, but even so, the last usage of a mortar as you're describing that I remember was back with the IRA.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Already Exists.
    I'm willing to forgive it, since by your definition, an L16/M252 mortar isn't a mortar, nor are most-if-not-all modern infantry-carried mortars, since every single one that I can think of off the top of my head carries it's own propellant charge, rather than having a separate charge. Then again, I'm likely missing a few, but even so, the last usage of a mortar as you're describing that I remember was back with the IRA.
    Snap, son. I thought I was a nerd for going out in the woods to sling plastic bb's at kids.

• edited October 2012
    Already Exists.
    I'm willing to forgive it, since by your definition, an L16/M252 mortar isn't a mortar, nor are most-if-not-all modern infantry-carried mortars, since every single one that I can think of off the top of my head carries it's own propellant charge, rather than having a separate charge. Then again, I'm likely missing a few, but even so, the last usage of a mortar as you're describing that I remember was back with the IRA.
    Snap, son. I thought I was a nerd for going out in the woods to sling plastic bb's at kids.
    Andrew is generally better at it anywhere further back than the past 15 years or so(within that 15 years, we're much closer to even, but he's still ahead by a respectable margin, I'm just more likely to get the odd one up on him), and with a lot of the US-specific stuff. I'll be honest, if Andrew is thinking that way, I've probably forgotten something, but I'll roll the dice on this one, I'm reasonably sure. Either that, or we've got our terms crossed again, which is more common than I'd care to admit.

Nerds come in all flavors, I guess. Not to say I'm not super jelly of your BB warfare efforts, airsoft is all but illegal here.
    Post edited by Churba on