This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• More Rym popcorn gifs.
    OHMYGOD HE'S SO FUCKING ADORABLE AND SAD LOOKING HE MAKES MY HEART HURT AWWWWWWWWWWWW.
  • More Rym popcorn gifs.
    Maaan, I thought this was going to be an actual gif of Rym eating popcorn.

• We all need to make gifs of ourselves eating popcorn.
  • More Rym popcorn gifs.
    Maaan, I thought this was going to be an actual gif of Rym eating popcorn.

Sorry, that should be a thing though.
  • I just had the same idea!
  • http://www.sexyladieseatingpopcorn.com
    Website doesn't appear to exist.
  • Polygon.com launched, and it is the prettiest site on the internet. Although I may be a bit biased since I intern for them.
  • I don't understand the hate for fedoras.
  • edited October 2012
    Does that include /r/ggggg? How about /r/ExplainLikeImJive? Or /r/FirstWorldAnarchists? Sorry, novelty subreddits are kinda my expertise.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Explain like I'm jive is a great concept but the execution is uniformly terrible. Haven't seen the others.
  • edited October 2012
    Does that include /r/ggggg[Fixed]? How about /r/ExplainLikeImJive? Or /r/FirstWorldAnarchists[Fixed]? Sorry, novelty subreddits are kinda my expertise.
    1/3 not too bad.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • Explain like I'm jive is a great concept but the execution is uniformly terrible. Haven't seen the others.
    It has some great stuff, but its rare. Try to find the one about the Higgs Boson. That was truly great.
  • Fedoras of OK Cupid.
    I don't understand the hate for fedoras.
    While I understand people disliking the stereotype of the cheap-fedora wearing pseudo-intellectual nerd, I think a lot of it comes from appropriating social currency (the fedora, trilby, or traditionally male hats in general) without understanding the unstated social rules that historically pertained to them (doffing one's hat on greeting, not wearing it inside, etc). Also, a lot of the "fad of the fedora" is centered around crass consumption of cheap cloth-based products (see: Hot Topic).

I think Adam and others on the forum would agree with me when I say that most people cannot seem to pull off wearing fedoras (or suits, or pocket squares, or any semi-archaic upper-class elements of social currency). The same could be said of anything geeks obsess over, though (over-used memes, painfully ironic tshirts, etc). The trick is to have style and a knowledge of subtlety. For example, I have some cufflinks with the Seal of Rassilon on them (from classic Dr. Who), which, to most people, look like a nice little Celtic pattern. To Doctor Who fans, they signify that this "random guy in a suit" (namely me) is one of them, and provokes conversation with those who recognize such symbols.

There is a language and ruleset to proper male dress that is wholly unrecognized by the vast majority of the tshirt-and-jeans-wearing population, but that some find really fun to learn and experiment with. A lot of experiments, though, fail miserably, especially those done by novices (such as those portrayed on that blog). It's just a natural part of the learning process for those who pursue such things. I, for one, wore WAY too much tacky tweed in high school, but I'd like to thing that I've graduated beyond looking like a doofus and have achieved some small measure of sartorial grace.
  • Take off your fedora glasses, see the world through my eyes.
  • I just think spending time and energy hating on a silly-looking hat and publicly shaming nerds isn't the most productive use of someone's time.
  • ^This is coming from a bad-ass mofo who had his picture taken in the nude with his own fedora covering up his man bits.

Anyone else's opinion is invalid. =P
  • edited October 2012
    Social status is determined by demeaning others obviously. If you can't measure yourself against another person, how can you feel good about who you are?

Dick measuring needs a ruler of some kind after all.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited October 2012
    Trilby, you shower of bastards. They're Trilbys.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I HAVE SEEN MY HAT.
  • Trilby, you shower of bastards. They're Trilbys.
    There is bunch of top hats on that blog at one point. It has no shame at all.

• Trilby, you shower of bastards. They're Trilbys.
    There is bunch of top hats on that blog at one point. It has no shame at all.
    I'm stunned that I saw any actual fedoras at all.