This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I'm willing to forgive it, since by your definition, an L16/M252 mortar isn't a mortar, nor are most-if-not-all modern infantry-carried mortars, since every single one that I can think of off the top of the top of my head uses shells that carry their own propellant charge, rather than having a separate charge. The Tube being, essentially, a barrel with a firing pin at the bottom. Then again, I'm likely missing a few, but even so, the last usage of a mortar as you're describing that I remember was back with the IRA.
    Oh come on, you're being overly pedantic just to be contrarian. There are very few, if any, modern munition which do not contain some sort of charge or propellant. The clear difference between a mortar and a rocket is that a rocket provides continuous thrust through a portion of all of it's initial flight. Once fired, mortars follow a pure ballistic trajectory, unlike the example you gave.

What you linked was more of an airsoft nebelwerfer than mortar.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Already Exists.
    That's not a mortar, it's a rocket launcher. Mortar shells are not self propelled.
    I'm willing to forgive it, since by your definition, an L16/M252 mortar isn't a mortar, nor are most-if-not-all modern infantry-carried mortars, since every single one that I can think of off the top of my head carries it's own propellant charge, rather than having a separate charge. Then again, I'm likely missing a few, but even so, the last usage of a mortar as you're describing that I remember was back with the IRA.
    Snap, son. I thought I was a nerd for going out in the woods to sling plastic bb's at kids.
    Andrew is generally better at it anywhere further back than the past 15 years or so(within that 15 years, we're much closer to even, but he's still ahead by a respectable margin, I'm just more likely to get the odd one up on him), and with a lot of the US-specific stuff. I'll be honest, if Andrew is thinking that way, I've probably forgotten something, but I'll roll the dice on this one, I'm reasonably sure. Either that, or we've got our terms crossed again, which is more common than I'd care to admit.

Nerds come in all flavors, I guess. Not to say I'm not super jelly of your BB warfare efforts, airsoft is all but illegal here.
    If you come to the US, I will equip you with a rifle, grenade launcher, grenade, camo, protection gear and tac vest and we can go all Call of Battle: Elite Modern Warfare on some kids and make them cry.
  • Airsoft is as illegal as real guns here...
  • I'm willing to forgive it, since by your definition, an L16/M252 mortar isn't a mortar, nor are most-if-not-all modern infantry-carried mortars, since every single one that I can think of off the top of the top of my head uses shells that carry their own propellant charge, rather than having a separate charge. The Tube being, essentially, a barrel with a firing pin at the bottom. Then again, I'm likely missing a few, but even so, the last usage of a mortar as you're describing that I remember was back with the IRA.
    Oh come on, you're being overly pedantic just to be contrarian. There are very few, if any, modern weapons which do not contain some sort of charge or propellant. The clear difference between a mortar and a rocket is that a rocket provides continuous thrust through a portion of all of it's initial flight. Once fired, mortars follow a pure ballistic trajectory, unlike the example you gave.

What you linked was more of an airsoft nebelwerfer than mortar.
    I must protest. I'm not doing it just to be contrarian, I'm doing it just to be an arse for my own amusement.

That said, fair enough.
    If you come to the US, I will equip you with a rifle, grenade launcher, grenade, camo, protection gear and tac vest and we can go all Call of Battle: Elite Modern Warfare on some kids and make them cry.
    What the hell, I'm up for it. Running around in the bush has been a staple of my life so far, might as well continue the tradition in new and interesting climates.

• Airsoft is as illegal as real guns here...
    Real guns still aren't legal in NYC when painted bright colours. Air-soft guns are.

• Also, any event which does not require M16A2 with irons, ALICE packs, and Woodland BDUs has no business calling itself the Fulda Gap. GTFO with your multicam, MOLLE, and ELCANs.
  • It's worth trying at least once, even if you've tried paintball. The experience is much different since the ranges tend to be farther, the guns more accurate (both realism wise and projectile wise) and what not.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna do a 2-day event again, there was just too much stuff breaking and I still haven't unpacked my gear, but single day events are a blast.

Rym, is it illegal because of city ordinances? I know a good amount of people who play up in NY State.
  • edited October 2012
    Airsoft is as illegal as real guns here...
    Ludicrously, Airsoft is just as illegal here, but in a stupider way. There is only a very small few guns you can import, you have to apply for a purchase license before you purchase them, and they have to be inspected by the government, engraved with serial numbers, tested to ensure they are what they say and don't fire anything too quickly, registered, stored appropriately, you have to be licensed.

However, this does give one hilarious fact - there are people who smuggle illegal Airsoft guns into the country. There are Airsoft Gun-runners.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    Also, any event which does not require M16A2 with irons, ALICE packs, and Woodland BDUs has no business calling itself the Fulda Gap. GTFO with your multicam, MOLLE, and ELCANs.
    This joke was made many, many, many times. Personally, I prefer wearing BDUs to what my team wears (digital MARPAT).

I'll have you know that I ran an M4 with iron sights, or an M249 with iron sights the entire time. Except for the night game. I did use a surefire for spotting, there.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • It also missed a couple hundred soviet armor divisions...
  • I desperately want to try out MILES gear sometime.
  • It also missed a couple hundred soviet armor divisions...
    There were 7 or 8 tanks for Warsaw, compared to 2 for NATO.
  • Speaking of which, I found out today that Tank Paintball is actually a thing. Not like, little poxy baby tanks powered by lawnmower engines, I mean serious business armored vehicles.
  • ITT: Acronyms I don't recognize (SquadronROE's last post not withstanding).
  • Freelance Whales gives away a digital copy of their new CD if you buy a ticket to the tour for the CD. Great idea.
  • New York City specific gun laws can easily be construed to cover airsoft weapons. They require a permit technically, but no one will issue said permit for an airsoft weapon. It's a catch-22.

Lots of people do in fact own them here.
  • My airsoft guns are actually great fun at parties. Bring a couple of magazine-fed CO2 pistols, set up a cardboard box against a privacy fence... good times.
  • edited October 2012
    ITT: Acronyms I don't recognize (SquadronROE's last post not withstanding).
    Here ya go.

ALICE: All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment. Some webbing gear, mostly, but there are also ALICE frames and backpacks. Also, Nobody seems to know who the fuck she is when you sing about her.

MOLLE: Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment. Same sorta shit, but newer.

MARPAT: Marine Pattern, a type of digital camouflage.

ELCANs: A type of optical sight, made by the ELCAN corporation.
    My airsoft guns are actually great fun at parties. Bring a couple of magazine-fed CO2 pistols, set up a cardboard box against a privacy fence... good times.
    I had a few in England, a cheap shotgun and a small pistol, both spring-powered. Don't have them here, obviously, but I think you can see them in the background of some of my flickr sets - Being bright blue and safety orange kinda helps with the visibility.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churbs, isn't it like 6AM next Tuesday wherever you live? Get some sleep.
  • edited October 2012
    Churbs, isn't it like 6AM next Tuesday wherever you live? Get some sleep.
    Yes, and soon. I've still got some stuff that needs doing before I can. Then a few hours kip, and back on the horse, then after that's done, I should have a day or two free. Freelancer, so no regular work hours, you see. Fart-arseing around in X3 for an hour while taking screenshots probably didn't help my work flow, I'll admit.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Turns out we can make petrol from the air now. That's pretty cool, even if it's not quite(read: at all) commercially viable yet.
  • Just advertising to you all, I'm going to be livestreaming on my youtube account for the Extra Life Charity. Hope to have fun, entertain some people, and get a system working.

• Yeah I was thinking about doing this as well.
  • Fuckin' BALLER.

• edited October 2012

Urban Survival Podcast
    Friday Gear Report: 4/20/2012
    by AARON FRANKEL

If Neil Strauss’ Gyrocopter from Emergency got you considering one for your own bug out plans, we’ve got just the thing for you today.

Meet the Pal V: A one seat three-wheeled gyroplane that drives like a sports car on the ground. In minutes it transforms and can take to the air to fly up to 300 miles away.

The website for the Pal V starts with the words, “For more than a century man has dreamed of the freedom provided by a flying car. The ultimate vehicle to go wherever and whenever you want to, easily overcoming all sorts of barriers.”

Unfortunately, their not in production yet. But they are expected to be in available for purchase by 2014.
    Post edited by ricardocameron on
  • But when can I take it off of a sweet jump and turn it into a helicopter in mid-air?
  • edited October 2012
    New York City specific gun laws can easily be construed to cover airsoft weapons. They require a permit technically, but no one will issue said permit for an airsoft weapon. It's a catch-22.

Lots of people do in fact own them here.
    Yep. Airsoft could actually be thought of as more illegal than guns, for that reason. Whenever I play, it involves carpooling to either NJ or Long Island, with the guns locked and unloaded in the trunk. Some people carry them (locked in bags, of course) on the LIRR, but I wouldn't chance it.

Post edited by YoshoKatana on