This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• That magic school bus picture reminds me of this

theory
    There was a show called "Fish Police" ?
  • You can't even read the last word of that. Or is that the point? Whoever made that, fails at using Meme generators or font borders.
  • "Hey my name's God and welcome to Jackass"

• Everything in this video is amazing and i've been dancing like that frog all day.
  • Rabbit nun will haunt nightmares the world over.
  • So, did they revoke Obama's farcical Nobel Prize yet?
    If it comes down from the Nobel Committee, it's not farcical. Deal with it.
    I'll revoke your face.
  • How long was he in.office when he got that again? Like, a month?
  • Doesn't matter. Nobel Prizes are Nobel Prizes. He was awarded it, it's his, forever and without dispute.
  • Doesn't mean we have to like it.
  • Doesn't mean we have to like it.
  • I mean lets say for instance WUB that you had been doing groundbreaking research in biology, enough to get considered for the prize in science. Then you find out they awarded it to me for a college dissertation I wrote. You'd feel cheated wouldn't you?
  • Good point, I'll vote Romney now.
  • Good point, I'll vote Romney now.
    I'll admit that's a terrible reason to switch your vote, I was just making a point.
  • edited November 2012
    I mean lets say for instance WUB that you had been doing groundbreaking research in biology, enough to get considered for the prize in science. Then you find out they awarded it to me for a college dissertation I wrote. You'd feel cheated wouldn't you?
    Yeah, I would, but there's nothing I can do about it. It's the Nobel Prize, and I am bound by my professional ethics to accept the rulings of the committee. If your undergrad dissertation was judged as more important than my best work, I have to accept that the Nobel Committee made the right decision.

Like, I think it's insane that Kary Mullins has a Nobel Prize in Biology despite his rabid anti-semitism, AIDS denialism, and paranoiac conspiracy fetish that makes Alex Jones look like the Warren Commission. But, he invented PCR, and I have to agree that the Nobel Committee made the right choice; the Prize-winning work must be judged apart from the Prize-winner.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • If you can even name one other person who should have received the prize then you have some room to argue. Otherwise you guys are just bitching for the sake of it.
  • If you can even name one other person who should have received the prize then you have some room to argue. Otherwise you guys are just bitching for the sake of it.
    Aung San Suu Kyi. Obama had done nothing but talk, and not much about peace either -- only quelling domestic unrest. Kyi was imprisoned for speaking out against totalitarianism, and not already one of the best known names in contemporary politics globally.
  • edited November 2012
    Uhhh... she won the prize in 91 dude haha.

EDIT: Oh, I was under the impression you were only allowed to win it once, but still.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Let's celebrate election day the right way.
    This should on be the front of the hundred dollar bill.
  • edited November 2012
    I mean lets say for instance WUB that you had been doing groundbreaking research in biology, enough to get considered for the prize in science. Then you find out they awarded it to me for a college dissertation I wrote. You'd feel cheated wouldn't you?
    Well, assuming that dissertation didn't deserve the prize, that would suck for WuB, but the Nobel Foundation says it's final.

Hence, tough shit.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Professional ethics don't bar anyone from criticizing the Nobel Prize committee. In the extremely unlikely event that you had to make a professional decision in which the award was relevant, that is the only instance in which this might be a valid issue.

Give me a break and deflate your chest a bit.
  • I'd be totally unprofessional AFTER the ceremony an ask them who their dealer is, cuz they'd HAVE to be smoking some good shit for my dinky little paper to win.