This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Trilby, you shower of bastards. They're Trilbys.
    There is bunch of top hats on that blog at one point. It has no shame at all.
    I'm stunned that I saw any actual fedoras at all.
    Well Trilby can be said to be a specific kind of Fedora, but top hats are in no way in same family of hats.

• edited October 2012
    Fedoras of OK Cupid.
    I don't understand the hate for fedoras.
    While I understand people disliking the stereotype of the cheap-fedora wearing pseudo-intellectual nerd, I think a lot of it comes from appropriating social currency (the fedora, trilby, or traditionally male hats in general) without understanding the unstated social rules that historically pertained to them (doffing one's hat on greeting, not wearing it inside, etc). Also, a lot of the "fad of the fedora" is centered around crass consumption of cheap cloth-based products (see: Hot Topic).

I think Adam and others on the forum would agree with me when I say that most people cannot seem to pull off wearing fedoras (or suits, or pocket squares, or any semi-archaic upper-class elements of social currency). The same could be said of anything geeks obsess over, though (over-used memes, painfully ironic tshirts, etc). The trick is to have style and a knowledge of subtlety. For example, I have some cufflinks with the Seal of Rassilon on them (from classic Dr. Who), which, to most people, look like a nice little Celtic pattern. To Doctor Who fans, they signify that this "random guy in a suit" (namely me) is one of them, and provokes conversation with those who recognize such symbols.

There is a language and ruleset to proper male dress that is wholly unrecognized by the vast majority of the tshirt-and-jeans-wearing population, but that some find really fun to learn and experiment with. A lot of experiments, though, fail miserably, especially those done by novices (such as those portrayed on that blog). It's just a natural part of the learning process for those who pursue such things. I, for one, wore WAY too much tacky tweed in high school, but I'd like to thing that I've graduated beyond looking like a doofus and have achieved some small measure of sartorial grace.
    This. A fedora worn properly on someone who looks the part is a thing of beauty.

Also, the top hats were for Top Hat Tuesday or some such, IIRC.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Same with any hat, really.
    Well Trilby can be said to be a specific kind of Fedora, but top hats are in no way in same family of hats.
    Pretty much, yeah - much like a 2013 Mustang is a type of Ford, and a Ford is a broader category of types of cars.
  • They're like that dumb skrillex haircut, everyone thinks its gonna look dope then you just look like a weird ass.
  • edited October 2012
    They're like that dumb skrillex haircut, everyone thinks its gonna look dope then you just look like a weird ass.
    Fluttershy pulls it off nicely.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I always thought there was something weird about Fluttershy, and now I realize it. She's a member of the Nakanojou family from Nichijou:

Relevant to what went down today on the forums.
  • edited October 2012

Man fuck CS and IT, I want to become a cyber alchemist.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • They're like that dumb skrillex haircut, everyone thinks its gonna look dope then you just look like a weird ass.
    Fluttershy pulls it off nicely.
    You also dont have to have a weird hairdo to play mainstream dubstep, your own island, a multinational company and hosing a festival out of your pocket works to.

• Same with any hat, really.
    True. Fedoras are just the current trend of hats that don't match their wearers. Plus, almost everyone in the tumblr I posted also had done things on their profile.

• edited October 2012

Sandy, she's a comin'!

GENERAL BROCHURE
    Comprehensive brochure: Keys to emergency preparedness; being informed, making plans, building a kit. http://tinyurl.com/8s42yax
    Post edited by ricardocameron on

• StarTalk Radio with the awesome Neil DeGrasse Tyson from the Hayden Planetarium

http://www.startalkradio.net/show/advancing-to-the-next-level-the-science-of-video-games-part-1/
  • edited October 2012
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited October 2012
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Well, I'm heading up to the TRON 30th Anniversary party up in Hollywood this evening. Bruce, I'm told, will be there as well as a selection of Arcade consoles featuring the 2 TRON arcade games.

I'm looking forward to it. Yes, I am old.
  • edited October 2012
    Pretty damned good AMV. Nice change from the legion of dubstep AMV's I've been seeing lately, of which I've seen precisely one that's any good.

Post edited by Churba on
  • What's the good dubstep AMV? I've been really getting into AMV's recently.
  • What's the good dubstep AMV? I've been really getting into AMV's recently.
    It was already posted recently, I think it was earlier in this thread, but I'll link you for convenience - The Nightmagi Cometh by KisanziVNS. I think it made it's debut at ndk2012.

• Chex Quest fan forum

I don't think I could possibly convey to you how important Chex Quest was to my childhood and how happy finding this site made me.
  • Man, I loved Chex Quest and I can still remember the day I got it. I've still got the cd packed away somewhere.
  • The view out my bath window into the backyard and the field behind the house this morning (camera phone pic, so don't bitch about the quality of it):
  • Oh god, I haven't stopped laughing at this site.

CLICK THIS RIGHT NOW

Here are a few gems, out of the literally millions:

• edited October 2012
    From Churba's site:

Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Muppet: I found the best thing to get your doctor on Gastroenterologists' day:

this
  • edited October 2012
    Chex Quest fan forum

I don't think I could possibly convey to you how important Chex Quest was to my childhood and how happy finding this site made me.
    Wow I thought I was the only person that played that game. I think that was my first video game experience ever.. (other than jealously watching my friends play Mario bc I didn't own a Nintendo >_<)
    Post edited by Lyddi on