This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

He's dead Jim, again.
  • edited November 2012
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • That was great.
    Mr. Satan image
    That has been around for years and it still gets me every time.

Guess I'm not as bit a libertarian as I thought.
  • edited November 2012
    Libertarians hate Romney as much as they hate Obama. Of course, Libertarians also tend to be rich white assholes who prioritize having "freedom" even if it means being exploited by the people who have more power than them to the point where they can't actually exercise said freedom.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Libertarians hate Romney as much as they hate Obama. Of course, Libertarians also tend to be white assholes who prioritize having "freedom" even if it means being exploited by the people above them to the point where they can't actually exercise said freedom.
    Fixed that.
  • See what? What am I looking at?
  • edited November 2012
    The top image contains the main characters of Captain Planet, the bottom images characters from The Magic School Bus. Both cartoons were integral parts of the childhood of a typical American who grew up in the 90s. (about 1/3-1/2 of the people on this forum)
  • edited November 2012
    EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2012
    Not surprising; find me a five kid ensemble from that period that doesn't have token black, token asian, token mexican, blond girl and token ginger kid in it.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on

Yeah, I just looked up the Magic Bus, and there are more than five kids. If there were five and only five in both tv shows, and each character matched between them, you'd be on to something.

What we have here is an almost textbook case of "cherry-picking the data". From every single other tv show, find a set of five kids who match these ones. It's not a hard challenge. I thought something was up when it took two images of, obviously, not all the Magic School Bus kids, to get the same racial mix as the Planeteers.
  • While yeah they just found one random pic that matched the planeteers, the point still stands that there were five kids in Magic Schoolbus that looked scarily similar to the Planeteers.
  • That is not a point. That is just reducing characters down to the medium they are presented in (animation) and two physically visible features (ethnic descent and hair colour). It's like saying that all anime feature the same characters, as one Japanese guy looks scarily similar to another.

Both of these TV shows were developed in the 90's right? That means the blond's hair style will be similar in both. It means that the black kid's hair is going to be similar too... as they were designed in a similar era of fashion. Same with the asian girl. The ginger kid has glasses when younger, so he is obviously a different kid.

I might as well put a picture of Daffy Duck and Donald Duck next to each other and say "These are scarily similar" when in fact it's simply the convention of animation when those characters were developed: animations featured animals. In the 90's educational tv shows used ethnically or racially diverse groups of kids. With the same range of racial groups in America, it would be weird if they didn't pick from the same ranges. Magic School Bus also picked a black girl, a brown haired white boy and a brown haired white girl. Only by excluding data can this coincidence be made meaningful.

You should look up logical fallacies some time.
  • I've actually read up on fallacies, though I see your point.
  • edited November 2012
    Didn't a lot of shows around that time have a similar kind of standard level of diversity?

Seems like any random show from around that era - especially shows aimed at kids or youths - you've got a decent chance of the cast being composed of the white guy, the black best friend, the white girl(sometimes European), the Asian character(usually a girl and best friend of the white girl, or if it's a guy, he's a genius), and one "Other" white guy(with some other distinguishing feature the primary white guy doesn't have, be that being fat, having glasses, being ginger, being from a "foreign" country or what have you) or Hispanic(often of non-specific origin) character.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That magic school bus picture reminds me of this

theory
  • To be fair, Obama's response to Hurricane Sandy has been impressively prompt and competent for any politician. In fact, pretty much every politician involved has cut the bullshit and done a pretty good job.
  • I respect that he's said he'll cut through the red tape to help the victims, but why not just leave the red tape cut after we're done fixing the damage?
  • edited November 2012
    Because the red tape is there for a reason, most of the time. E.g., so governors don't get to call in FEMA every time there's a small river flood or an earthquake knocks over someone's tool shed.