This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Orange Box is GO!

edited October 2007 in Video Games
For some reason I thought the game would come out 24 hours from now, but I'm damned glad to be proven wrong. Have at it!

Comments

• :(

I just started work! 8 hours till I can play portals!
    I stupidly decided to restart my Ep2 preload last night because it had been stuck at 44% for days, now it wont connect to the servers as they are too busy.

Which reminds me, Orange box comes with Ep1 doesn't it? If anyone already had Ep1 and ordered orange box, any chance of you being a kind hearted person and gifting Ep1 to me ? :)
  • Portals is fun, but it seems like it's going to be very short. As in, it's taken me under 2 hours and I'm on the last challenge of the main series. But man is it creepy! Valve deserve a Nobel Prize for subtextual storytelling. The turrets, the turrets...
  • Portals is fun, but it seems like it's going to be very short. As in, it's taken me under 2 hours and I'm on the last challenge of the main series. But man is it creepy! Valve deserve a Nobel Prize for subtextual storytelling. The turrets, the turrets...
    Yes, I heard this game was very short. But I think that's the point, and that it's also good.
  • Well, it went a little longer than anticipated in the previous post. Still short, but sweet. Mmmm, cake ;)
  • I'm on the 18th room, and managed that in a little more then an hour. I'm really liking Portal.
  • Portal is GREAT! took me just over 2 hours not including time to answer the phone, go to the toilet, eat... so 2.8 with that included

If Portal doesn't win some sort of Innovative game of the year award, then ... i dint know what

In my opinion it's a lot more fun that Bioshock was, and the ending felt ALOT more rewarding!
  • Portal is GREAT! took me just over 2 hours not including time to answer the phone, go to the toilet, eat... so 2.8 with that included
    Guess what I'm doing this weekend?
  • Guess what I'm doing this weekend?Ooh! Ooh! I have a guess! Are you making cute little anthropomorphic tea cozies with the Newburgh Knitting Circle?
  • Guess what I'm doing this weekend?
    Ooh! Ooh! I have a guess! Are you making cute little anthropomorphic tea cozies with the Newburgh Knitting Circle?
    If the tea cozies are teleportation guns, then yes.
  • If the tea cozies are teleportation guns, then yes.Yay!
  • tea cozies are teleportation guns
    I wonder if my wife would let me buy these.
  • I also beat Portal. It is short, fun, and satisfying. It did not disappoint.
  • Yeah, the game was short, but I played it through with the Dev coments after which was interesting. (DON'T DO THAT FIRST!)
    Then I did the bonus maps... WOW the difficulty goes up a lot, having said that I didn't really struggle until the last one where the most common word out my mouth for a while was "whaa......"
  • Yeah, Portal was short, but I can almost guarantee that Valve not only plans to release more levels but also a level editor.
  • Yeah, Portal was short, but I can almost guarantee that Valve not only plans to release more levels but also a level editor.

I pretty much can guarantee! On the "advanced maps" section on the menu, they have an option to load more maps. That would be really sweat if valve put up some kind of download section to get the maps, but I'm guessing that would put too much strain on their servers to host all that traffic.
    All I can say is the ending song is epic and I love me some cake!
  • I miss my weighted companion cube :(
  • I miss my weighted companion cube :(
    Haha, did you see the back room in that level where there were pictures on the wall of people with their heads replaced with the cube? XD
  • Portal is the best game experience this year.
  • Here is the ending song, DO NOT LISTEN IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME:
    Songy
  • Here is the ending song, DO NOT LISTEN IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME: Songy

Dang! I just spent like 20 minutes finding a video of the song to download, then encode into MP3. >,
  • Seems like there is going to be at least a second Portal. I was playing through again with the developers commentary and right now I am on Test Chamber 16. A comment by Erik Wolpaw 3/3 states " This first portal game doesn't reveal all of it but we crammed a lot of little details into the environment."
  • Portal was great, I'm really surprised with how it turned out. It was what I expected and yet also completely not.

Ending song is hilarious.
  • Anyone got a copy of HLep1 they don't want?
    I would gladly accept it. XD
  • edited October 2007
    There's something weird happening when I play Portal.
    Half-Life 2 is running fine, but that's the only other game I've tried since getting the Orange Box two hours ago.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • There's something weird happening when I play Portal.
    What are your specs?
  • What are your specs?
    Dell Inspiron 1501 (laptop)
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-36 2.00 GHz processor
    894 MB RAM
    32-bit operating system
    Vista Home Premium
  • What are your specs?
    Dell Inspiron 1501 (laptop)
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-36 2.00 GHz processor
    894 MB RAM
    32-bit operating system
    Vista Home Premium
    What video card does it have? I'm guessing that's probably the issue.
  • What video card does it have? I'm guessing that's probably the issue.
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1150.
  • Portal is the best game experience this year.
    This statement is the truest thing to ever have been spoken. All truth should be standardized against this statement, because it's THAT correct.
  • Still haven't played Portal yet. Although I did just beat HL2:E1 for the second time, and I beat a few chapters of HL2:E2. I think what we're going to do this weekend is both Rym and I will play Portal for the first time simultaneously. Perhaps a race to the end? Who knows!

Also, we need to figure out what we're all going to do with our HL2 and HL2:E1 gifts.