This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Orange Box is GO!

Comments

• Does anyone know how many copies they sold through Steam?
    Valve knows.
    Are they talking?
    Have they ever?
  • Yeah, this about sums up my vigi gaming these days for non-wii games.

• It upsets me that I am the only person (that I know of) that bought The Orange Box at my school.
  • It upsets me that I am the only person (that I know of) that bought The Orange Box at my school.

It's a gamers game. Only serious gamers would enjoy it.
  • I tried the Portals-in-HL2 hack. It was fun until I opened a portal under a combine soldier. My game slowed down, locked up, and finally crashed. Don't try that.
  • Wow, so far I really like the Orange Box. TF2 is so much fun, even though I have to play it more to be a good layer. Portal is just amazing, right now I'm stuck because I have no freaking idea of what I even have to do but I will find it out. If nothing helps there is still my good buddy youtube.

By the way is it just me or is the TF2 Front Roe Crew server down?
  • Wow, so far I really like the Orange Box. TF2 is so much fun, even though I have to play it more to be a good layer. Portal is just amazing, right now I'm stuck because I have no freaking idea of what I even have to do but I will find it out. If nothing helps there is still my good buddy youtube. By the way is it just me or is the TF2 Front Roe Crew server down?
    No, it's been down for a while as far as I can tell.
  • Wow, so far I really like the Orange Box. TF2 is so much fun, even though I have to play it more to be a good layer. Portal is just amazing, right now I'm stuck because I have no freaking idea of what I even have to do but I will find it out. If nothing helps there is still my good buddy youtube. By the way is it just me or is the TF2 Front Roe Crew server down?

No, it's been down for a while as far as I can tell.

I'll get it up sometime soon... -___-
  • OK, it's up again.
  • I just beat Ep. 2 yesterday, and beat Portal the day I got it, and I've really enjoyed it. I'm now playing Ep. 1 and will soon play Half-Life 2. I'll post my over-all thoughts soon.
  • edited October 2007
    Wait... you played Ep 2 before the other two!? I could let the original Half-life slide, I guess, but not the first two installments of HL2!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • What a strange way of playing, you get a messed up view of the story that way. Each to their own I guess...
  • Hey, when are you guys reviewing the rest of The Orange Box?
  • I finished Portal and have to say it's a great game, even though the end reminded me of 2001: Space Odysse. It is amazing how much thinking went into each section of the game (playing through the game a second time with the developer comments is absolutely recommanded ^^ ).
  • Is TF2 the only game in the Orange box without a single player mode?
  • Is TF2 the only game in the Orange box without a single player mode?
    TF2 is a purely multiplayer game. The other two games are purely single player.
  • edited October 2007
    Scott, you said that it's a "Gamer's game" only - I disagree, since Portal is something I'm going to try to get my mom to play. I think she will since it's accessible and fun.

Still, that's 1/5 of it that is not a gamer's game, so I guess you still win.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • Scott, you said that it's a "Gamer's game" only - I disagree, since Portal is something I'm going to try to get my mom to play. I think she will since it's accessible and fun.

I had thought that Portal was really accessible too, but I tried to get my dad to play it and he just couldn't handle the first-person controls.
  • edited October 2007
    I had thought that Portal was really accessible too, but I tried to get my dad to play it and he just couldn't handle the first-person controls.
    Yes, this is what my guess would be. Portal has a very good learning curve for learning how to use Portals and solve the puzzles. However, it does not have a learning curve for basic fps skills. If you don't already know how to control a basic 3d fps, Portal will wreck you. Problem is, there aren't that many fpses nowadays that teach you basic PC fpsing. Halo teaches basic console fpsing, but HL2 or Bioshock most definitely do not teach basic PC fpsing. Someone really ought to make one.

EDIT: I just remembered. You can have someone do the Half-Life 1 training room. That teaches basic console fpsing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So, is Portal more like Metroid then?
  • edited October 2007
    So, is Portal more like Metroid then?
    Not even close. If you want to compare it to old school, I'd say it's like adventures of LOLO.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Metroid could not be further from Portal, really.

Maybe if it was a fish.
  • Who wants my free Half Life 2?
    I do!
    I do!
    sold.
  • Dammit. XD

• Wait... you played Ep 2 before the other two!? I could let the original Half-life slide, I guess, but not the first two installments of HL2!
    What a strange way of playing, you get a messed up view of the story that way. Each to their own I guess...
    I don't really care, I got a quick story-line catch-up from my friend, so it didn't matter what order I played it in. I'd played Half Life 2 on the Xbox, so I knew what I was in for for the first couple hours, so I decided to try the newer Episode 2. I'm trying to find a copy of Half Life 1 so I can experience the storyline from the start.
  • edited October 2007
    I'm trying to find a copy of Half Life 1 so I can experience the storyline from the start.
    Ever heard of Steam?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Ever heard ofSteam?
    Yah, my computer is totally crap and barely works as it is. I might be able to, but it would be bad.