This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WoW: The shit-talk stops here.

edited November 2007 in Video Games
All right, listen up.

Rym & Scott, you know as much about WoW as Bill O'Reilly knows about social reform, and you treat the subject the same way.

You have rejected repeated callouts to back up your opinions, lest you be labelled shit-talkers.

No matter how many times I let go of my frustration and drop it, you keep bringing it back up like it fucked your mom and bragged about it.

The shit-talk stops here.

You have 4 choices:
*Have an episode where you interview someone who actually knows what they're talking about
*Take Pete up on his offer and play his character, or mine, or, for the asking, I will buy you an account for you to play on, and play the game for a reasonable length of time
*Just drop it and respect those who do know and care by not voicing unfounded opinions
*Be shit-talkers, as the entire forum community is your witness

I don't really care. I've learned to tune out your random assaults on the game that fall in the middle of otherwise good podcasts. I don't play it currently, and don't have that much invested in it at the moment. I'm honest when I say I'm standing up for integrity in...let's call it journalism, or at least let's call it a respected one-sided opinion forum. I'm not going to bring it up (though I may respond to others when they bring it up, from time to time), because it never makes for good discussion.

But step up once and for all, or forever be shit-talkers.

I'm callin' you out. (for like the 5th time)

Comments

• A storm is a-brewing. It's going to be strong...

Anyway, I would love to hear the WoW episode and will make sure to gather my WoW peoples.
  • edited November 2007
    The fundamental problem with WoW is that it is at it's core a simple and rather crappy game. If you were to strip away all the items, online chat and other stuff anyone would get bored with it very quickly. It is a lot of nice gimmicks on top of a fundamentally crap game. Even compared to other point and click role playing games it has little strategy needed as you only play one character and any team strategy quickly devolves into each member of the team spamming their commanded move; No clever planning of positioning or strategic selection of items or spells. This would only make for a mildly crappy game but it is the sheer amount of time people spend playing it that adds it's other main problem: There is absolutely no skill required to play. There is no point arguing against this, in WoW improvement is based almost entirely on how long you play and in no way by your skill. Give a noob a level 70 character, some instruction and he will play as well as someone who spent all that time leveling to level 70.
    These things are obvious to someone who hasn't even played. It is a shitty game by it's very design.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If you can give me any evidence that WoW is fundamentally different from a MUD, Everquest, The Realm, etc. then you might have a point. All the arguments we make against WoW were are not just making againsts WoW, but all of the MUDs and MMORPGs. The arguments hold true for the entire genre. All evidence suggests that WoW is the same damn game with just a lot more polish. I have no doubt in my mind what WoW is the greatest MUD/MMORPG ever. I already know what I think about that type of game on a fundamental level. Seriously, if I know I hate fpses, do I really need to play TF2 to know I hate that as well? Can you show in any way that WoW is a fundamentally different game than all the others?

WoW is good for one thing as far as I'm concerned, and that is funny machinima on YouTube of dancing avatars. Granted, we do have WoW free trials, and we will play them one day. However, as all evidence suggests that this game is a waste of time, and time is not something we have an excess of, don't expect it anytime soon.
  • edited November 2007
    Kenjura,

Take a deep breath. One can know about the game without having played it. Scott is right. It's a MUD. If you've played MUDs and have read about WOW, then you know what to expect.

What everyone agrees on is that WOW involves a whole lot of grinding. That in and of itself takes away any desire I have to play it. Why do I have to play it when I already know that I don't want to grind? That's like saying you have to shoot yourself in the foot to know that it will be painful.

If you enjoy it, that's great. For some people, I suspect that it's an awesome game. Where any game becomes bad is when it starts to take away from other parts of your life. If you lose personal relationships, if your job performance is affected, etc. I'm sure that's not the case with you. So if you like it, more power to you. However, that doesn't mean that everyone should enjoy it. Variety is the spice of life.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • There is absolutely no skill required to play. There is no point arguing against this, in WoW improvement is based almost entirely on how long you play and in no way by your skill. Give a noob a level 70 character, some instruction and he will play as well as someone who spent all that time leveling to level 70.
    Do you really think that people who have leveled their character to level 70 know how to play the game properly? (I beg to differ as my under equipped lower level character constantly pwns higher level better equipped ones and you also believe that every puzzle is solved by just doing your one job, this has not been my experience, if this is true i would have dropped the game a lot earlier.

Anyhow, as Pete (whaleshark) said, I don't believe that Rym or Scott will actually like the game or say anything unexpected about it. Rym has played a MMORPG in the past and understands the draw, but like fighting anime shows, everyone gets one in his opinion and once you've played one you've seen them all. As for Scott Rubin, you really shouldn't care what Scott has to say when he doesn't like something. This is the same guy who won't climb a mountain that is right next to his house, because he's climbed a mountain 15 years ago and says they are all the same. (I would like a show talking about this theory on a thursday) He also doesn't like anything Sci-fi that takes place in space unless it's specifically mecha anime or it's cowboy bebop. (I mean he didn't like Firefly, BSG or numerous other quality shows that rose above the genre) Everyone has different tastes and Scott definitely has "varied" tastes. The only time you should actually listen to Scott is when he likes something, because usually he likes things that are actually quite good. Just don't always trust what he says when he doesn't like something because he is coming at the topic as being one hell of a jaded son of a bitch.

So honestly, go play Wow with Dave on Yesra or on Lethon with some of the FRC, if you like wow. If you don't, continue to talk and disparage it, it gives me something to read and argue about. ^_^ But stop calling Rym and Scott out to review WoW, Other then a few of you who are calling for it noone else cares, it will be a pretty boring show.
  • edited November 2007
    it will be a pretty boring show.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Let's be honest, though. The real reason that Scott does not like WOW is because he would have to interact with female characters.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • And we can't have our lil podcaster possibly interacting with -females-, now can we? Scrym may break up!!
  • He'd spend more time trying to find faults with the female characters than actually engaging in quests.
  • XDD

Ah it amuses me that a good majority of the females are actually guys... >>;
  • Personally, it really doesn't matter if they do or don't play the damn game. It's their decision. People make their own opinions about whatever before even trying it out. To even make a decent podcast or episode about WoW, I think you have to actually experience most if not all the WoW experience, such as getting all the way to 70, doing endgame, pvp, rp, raid leading, etc.

Scrym has been shit talkers on other occasions, but it's no big thing.

In the end, if you enjoy the game, play it. If people don't want to play it, don't call them out. It doesn't really give them any more incentive to want to play.

Plus I can only imagine Scott rolling Female Night Elf and just doing nothing but /dance for his entire experience of WoW. ^_~
  • To even make a decent podcast or episode about WoW, I think you have to actually experience most if not all the WoW experience, such as getting all the way to 70, doing endgame, pvp, rp, raid leading, etc.
    How many times to I need to call bullshit on this type of thinking?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone is entitled to decide which opinions they will respect, and which opinions they will not respect. However, choosing to only respect someone's opinion on a very time consuming experience if they have consumed most of that experience is shortsighted. Think about it. Who in their right mind will sit through most of One Piece? Only two kinds of people. People who like One Piece, and people who hate it, but are masochists. If you decide that the only opinion of WoW you will respect is the opinion of someone who has invested a zillion hours into it, you will not get many contrary opinions. The only contrary opinion you will get are from people who are crazy and spent a zillion hours doing something they did not enjoy, and were not required to do.

We discussed this on the show last night, but it needs reiterating. Do not try to tell me that my opinion is invalid because I haven't given something enough of a chance. There are good things out there which are good immediately. They provide pleasure and intellectual stimulation within seconds of experiencing them. It is true that there are some things which only pay off after a significant investment. However, because of that investment those things are automatically worse than other things which pay off immediately. There are enough things out there that provide immediate payoff, that I can delegate all things requiring investment to the trash bin.

If you really want to get an idea for the way I think, try this. First, pretend that you have enough money to buy whatever video games, comic books, etc. that you want. If its available on Amazon, it's yours. Now, pretend that you only have one hour each day to enjoy these things. What will you do? Will you play Phoenix Wright? Guitar Hero? Read Spider-Man? Watch two anime episodes? What will you do. Sure, you can mix it up, but you have to be incredibly discriminating. Every minute you spend doing something that sucks is a loss. When you experience this kind of life, you will more easily realize the poor investment MUDs and MMORPGs are.
  • However, choosing to only respect someone's opinion on a very time consuming experience if they have consumed most of that experience is shortsighted.
    I had this same discussion with someone yesterday about race. They argued that only minorities are qualified to talk about race issues, and that caucasians who address the issue are racist. I told them that standpoint was de facto racism.
  • edited November 2007
    Do you really think that people who have leveled their character to level 70 know how to play the game properly? (I beg to differ as my under equipped lower level character constantly pwns higher level better equipped ones.
    But you could learn that from a book so my point stands.
    you also believe that every puzzle is solved by just doing your one job, this has not been my experience, if this is true i would have dropped the game a lot earlier.
    Puzzles? What puzzles?

You are free to enjoy whatever you like but objectively WoW is a bad game.
  • I do believe the shit-talking will continue. Just a thought.
  • edited November 2007
    Hey, WoW players. Who gives a fuck what Scrym think, seriously? Is their approval of your activities really that important? I think that they are very intelligent guys, however that doesn't mean you should do everything they say, or give credence to all of their opinions. Feel confident in what you do and be proud of yourself. People need to stop being such pussies.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2007
    Hey, WoW players. Who gives a fuck what Scrym think, seriously? Is their approval of your activities really that important? I think that they are very intelligent guys, however that doesn't mean you should do everything they say, or give credence to all of their opinions. Feel confident in what you do and be proud of yourself. People need to stop being such pussies.
    Thats fine until you end up with people who carry on doing a bad thing and noone can stop them. Though you have a good point; Don't simply believe a single idea. Discussion (like what we are having here) is always a good thing. WoW may be bad in terms of its design as a game you play for fun but is still popular. It is not absolutely good or bad and is made up of many different facets (just happens that the game part is crap.).
  • Thats fine until you end up with people who carry on doing a bad thing and noone can stop them. Though you have a good point; Don't simply believe a single idea. Discussion (like what we are having here) is always a good thing. WoW may be bad in terms of its design as a game you play for fun but is still popular. It is not absolutely good or bad and is made up of many different facets (just happens that the game part is crap.).
    Who says WoW is a bad game? What defines a "bad" game? It's THE most popular game right now, and has maintained that position for several years now. Would you say that it's a "bad" game then? What makes your opinion of games right (i.e why is your opinion that the game part of WoW is crap correct)? People are very different, and they all enjoy different styles of games and different forms of entertainment. So, no, WoW is not a "crap game", it's just an alternate form of entertainment. Some people like it, some people don't.

You imply that it's a bad thing that people do what they want, why? If people want to spend their time playing WoW, that's their prerogative. I'm not going to play baby sitter and tell them whats good and bad for them. Why should we force our views of a "good/bad" games on others and try to stop them? We shouldn't; we should allow people to play what games they want, no matter what our opinions are of the games.
  • You imply that it's a bad thing that people do what they want, why? If people want to spend their time playing WoW, that's their prerogative.
    I don't think that anyone has a problem with that. I think that the problem "players" are those who allow WOW to negatively impact other aspects of their life. (relationships, career), etc. For those people, WOW is a problem. Period. The other valid complaint is that WOW does nothing to mitigate this possibility. Rather, they design the game to suck you in as much as possible.
  • On a similar note, I have a friend that stopped listening to the show because he got tired of your "TF2 bashing" and the references to the renaissance of FPSs. He also disagrees with the console vs. computer FPS debate. When the TF2 beta came out and there were a good couple of weeks about these subjects, he stopped listening. Drove the man nuts.

Just providing feedback. I'm not saying you should stop doing what you're doing, just saying. Some people have issues listening to opinions opposing theirs on a regular basis.
  • edited November 2007
    I think that the problem "players" are those who allow WOW to negatively impact other aspects of their life. (relationships, career), etc. For those people, WOW is a problem. Period. The other valid complaint is that WOW does nothing to mitigate this possibility. Rather, they design the game to suck you in as much as possible.
    If people have issues with addiction, what makes it any different than any other form of addiction? These people have problems, far separate from the game and it's design.
    The other valid complaint is that WOW does nothing to mitigate this possibility. Rather, they design the game to suck you in as much as possible.
    So it's their problem that you play their game?
    Post edited by Andrew on

• Just providing feedback. I'm not saying you should stop doing what you're doing, just saying. Some people have issues listening to opinions opposing theirs on a regular basis.
    Hence, FOX News.
  • edited November 2007
    WoW is a bad game from the point of what you are actually playing. If you like amassing stats and items and social online experiences then it is very enjoyable but this doesn't make it's gameplay any better. In terms of gameplay it is a basic and generally boring and unimaginative game. It does very little to improve on previous games in terms of mechanics and styling. You can cast spells and do actions and walk around and there are things you go and kill (doesn't look there are any puzzles then?)
    (i.e why is your opinion that the game part of WoW is crap correct?)
    I think what you meant is "what makes your opinion better informed?". Well, I spent several years on the ongamedev.com forums (now practically dead.) and we spent a lot of time discussing this kind of thing and way too much time discussing how games could be improved. Compared to you I would say I am pretty well informed on how games could be made better and what makes them bad.
    People are very different, and they all enjoy different styles of games and different forms of entertainment. So, no, WoW is not a "crap game", it's just an alternate form of entertainment. Some people like it, some people don't.
    But are you enjoying the actual process of playing. If you knew there would be no stat or item reward would you enjoy playing the game as it currently plays? Would you be enjoying yourself if you weren't grinding for a reward?

If the actual process of interacting with a game is not enjoyable then the game is bad.
  • I got the Orange Box from Valve yesterday and after installation stuck on Portal, followed by Team Fortress 2. I now remember how playing video games was all about having fun! The incredibly long levelling experience in WoW is just not fun at all, IMO. I'm glad I gave it up.
  • I got the Orange Box from Valve yesterday and after installation stuck on Portal, followed by Team Fortress 2. I now remember how playing video games was all about having fun! The incredibly long levelling experience in WoW is just not fun at all, IMO. I'm glad I gave it up.
    YESS!! The voice of reason!
  • edited November 2007
    I think what you meant is "what makes your opinion better informed?". Well, I spent several years on the ongamedev.com forums (now practically dead.) and we spent a lot of time discussing this kind of thing and way too much time discussing how games could be improved. Compared to you I would say I am pretty well informed on how games could be made better and what makes them bad.
    Right...so you are more "informed on game design" than me? I guess all those University classes I've been taking in Psychology, Game Theory, advanced Mathematics, and Computer Science mean nothing to a forum discussion...
    WoW is a bad game from the point of what you are actually playing. If you like amassing stats and items and social online experiences then it is very enjoyable but this doesn't make it's gameplay any better. In terms of gameplay it is a basic and generally boring and unimaginative game. It does very little to improve on previous games in terms of mechanics and styling. You can cast spells and do actions and walk around and there are things you go and kill (doesn't look there are any puzzles then?)
    But are you enjoying the actual process of playing. If you knew there would be no stat or item reward would you enjoy playing the game as it currently plays? Would you be enjoying yourself if you weren't grinding for a reward?
    I don't play WoW so I wouldn't know. However, I don't play WoW because it is not the type of game that appeals to me. There are however people that it DOES appeal to and that DO find enjoyment in playing the game. You separate the social factor from the physical interaction with the server saying they are separate, however, I don't believe you can separate the two. They are inherently intertwined and essential to the design that makes WoW the popular game it is right now.

You say that game mechanics that don't do something new every time are essential poor game mechanics. This is flawed logic, just because something is old doesn't mean that is has poor game mechanics and just because something is new doesn't make it inherently better than previous mechanics. Would you say that Go is a shit game because the mechanics are old (it originates back to the 5th century BC)? No! They are just different. You are trying to place an objective description upon an entity which is entirely subjective. You may not have fun playing certain style of game, and let's be honest, not everyone enjoys playing all the different types of styles. The game is fun for a lot of people, not everyone, but a significant portion of the gaming community.

If people didn't have fun playing Wow, they would stop. To say anything otherwise is ignorant (Unless of course they are addicted, in which case I default to my previous statement).
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2007
    The "puzzles" in WoW are complex raids; these static encounters follow a particular pattern, and you have to figure out how to beat them. Solving these puzzles involves at least some degree of lateral thinking. Of course, generally, you're not usually the first person to solve the puzzle, so most people who play the game follow the solution that other people have already discovered. It's still fun to do once or twice, though, and the solutions usually involve very specific class combinations; you can try solving the puzzles with different class combinations to increase the challenge and entice some more lateral thinking.

The puzzles aren't quite as complex as those in, say, Portal, but they're still interesting to some degree.

Arena PvP in WoW, I'm starting to realize, is actually the EXACT same game as Team Fortress 2. Really. It's the same rock/paper/scissors team-based dynamic, except that each class has more tactical options available to them than do the classes in TF2. That's really the main reason I want Rym to try out my warrior; I'd like him to weigh in on this observation, to spark further discussion on the issue.

You don't have to level a character to 70 to get the full game experience. Grind a few levels and you understand grinding for the rest of the game. Run a couple of higher-level dungeons and you get dungeons. Do a 10-man and a 25-man raid and you get the puzzle solving raids. The only part of the game that really involves skill and playing is the PvP, and that's less individual skill and more team-based dynamics, as I mentioned earlier.

My contention is that if you have fun in TF2, you can have fun with some parts of WoW as well, particularly the arenas.

EDIT: Omnutia: You can say that amassing stats is trivial, or that the style of an MMO is a poor game, but fundamentally, all video games suck. Super Mario Brothers, for example, is a timing game; push the button at the right time a whole bunch and you win. How is that different from WoW? Pretty much every game ever made is an objectively bad game; the important factor is how much fun you have with it, and claiming otherwise is intellectually dishonest.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • My contention is that if you have fun in TF2, you can have fun with some parts of WoW as well, particularly the arenas.
    Sadly, I'm not really enjoying TF2 anymore, what with the low skill caps and simple play...
  • edited November 2007
    Italics and ALL CAPS and Bears, oh my! (looks like someones clutching at straws.)
    Ask yourself, Is the act of playing the game play fun? Is the actual act of moving a character around, selecting attacks, hitting things, etc.. fun?
    If you play a game not for the enjoyment of playing it but for the reward that could be given to you anyway without you having to play the game then the game itself is not fun and thus a bad game. This I believe to be true with WoW. Would you also say this is correct and if not for what reason?
    Arena PvP in WoW, I'm starting to realize, is actually the EXACT same game as Team Fortress 2
    Because tennis and pong are utterly indistinguishable. But this I think is where you don't understand me. The actual bit where you do interacting in WoW with the game is incredibly boring. Do you exact enjoyment from actually playing? not what events you participate in but how you actually play the game? This isn't a loaded question; I just want to know.
  • EDIT: Omnutia: You can say that amassing stats is trivial, or that the style of an MMO is a poor game, but fundamentally, all video games suck. Super Mario Brothers, for example, is a timing game; push the button at the right time a whole bunch and you win. How is that different from WoW? Pretty much every game ever made is an objectively bad game; the important factor is how much fun you have with it, and claiming otherwise is intellectually dishonest.
    Mario is a test of skill. A test of physical hand-eye coordination skill. How much you value that skill is questionable, but it is a test of skill. WoW tests time. All you have to do to win is sit there longer. Persistence is all that matters. I guess you could say that the skill that WoW tests most is patience.

I haven't played TF2 in weeks.
  • Sadly, I'm not really enjoying TF2 anymore, what with the low skill caps and simple play...
    I wish there was a online game that we could all play for more then a week these days.....

I still enjoy TF2 myself.