This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did you find GeekNights?

Comments

• But can you buy Metroid hats WITH a top hat?
    AND a tie?
    AND a monocle?
    AND a tie?
    AND a monocle?
    With your powers combined!
    AND a tie?
    AND a monocle?
    This is my usual forum avatar. The original I shrunk it from also has a cane.
    AND a tie?
    AND a monocle?
    I believe that counts as a win.
    edited July 2010
    No gold pocket watch on a chain? Fail, shit, incomplete, inferior, fraudulent, crap, etc.
    Post edited by ... on
  • In short, I was in need of another podcast to listen to besides the Daizenshuu EX dragon ball one, so I snooped around and stumbled into the podcast through previously mentioned podcast's referrals. Catching up on past episodes, I couldn't believe the amount of topics non-anime related that I could connect to. Seriously... where else would I be able to find talk about Bone the comic series alongside Mario World? Pure awesomeness.
  • edited August 2010
    When I got my iPod and found out about podcasts, I was looking for podcasts about anime on iTunes, since I wanted to care about anime-related stuff again. I tried to listen to Anime World Order, but at that time I was too far removed from the anime scene to care about what they had to say, so I searched some more and found GeekNights. I also like video games and tech stuff, so the podcast fit my interests perfectly. After having listened to the five or six newest episodes, I went back to listen to all that was in iTunes, and then I went back to the archive and listened to pretty much every episode. That's all. Just for the record, now I also listen to AWO regularly.
    Post edited by Zykrome on
  • then I went back to the archive and listened to pretty much every episode.
    Damn. Not all of those are very good, you know. ^_~
    There is one, very important episode that isn't included in the show archive.
    You said that quite a few times during the less-old-but-not-that-new shows, when you did a lot of meta about your number of listeners and stuff, but I still think there was a lot of interesting stuff in there, and when it was outdated or not interesting, it was at least entertaining.
    There isone, very important episodethat isn't included in the show archive.
    Haha, I knew someone must have made something like this...
  • I found it on a friends computer when we were shooting rabid stopwatches in barrels waiting for a movie time. I gave it a quick listen and it's been on my pod-catching device since
  • By searching Ancient Tomes of the Dark Arts.
    Oh, you have a copy of the Liber Razielis Dorkangeli too? There was a limited academic print run years ago and I keep looking around for extras to give to friends but they're hard to locate. I think they were bound in real grueskin, so I guess they couldn't have made very many and they might even be illegal to trade today.
    Oh, you have a copy of theLiber Razielis Dorkangelitoo? There was a limited academic print run years ago and I keep looking around for extras to give to friends but they're hard to locate. I think they were bound in real grueskin, so I guess they couldn't have made very many and they might even be illegal to trade today.

Don't forget to mention the were written in Elvish blood. And the glue in the binding was made from unicorns.
  • Believe it or not, I found this forum through a Google image search, and it led me to GeekNights, which I promptly subscribed to via Google Reader (which is boss, by the way).
  • Believe it or not, I found this forum through a Google image search, and it led me to GeekNights, which I promptly subscribed to via Google Reader (which is boss, by the way).
    What image were you searching for?

• What image were you searching for?
    Haha, I was searching "Gainax bounce" (which is surprisingly clean with safesearch off!) and saw that notorious picture of Simon and Rossiu from Gurren Lagaan - the mouseover text ("Well, due to the existence of the Gainax Bounce, it doesn't really surprise") I could tell was from a discussion. Sounded interesting, so I investigated.
    AND a tie?
    AND a monocle?
    I believe that counts as a win.
    Highly relevant.
    and awesome.
  • I have to say, the way I found Geeknights happens to be a tale of pure chance, where the cosmos decided to align for a moment to find this podcast.

I had just finished watching Eureka 7 episode 30-ish, and I heard the ending song of the anime, which happened to be Tip Taps Tip by Hal Cali. This song was liken unto an angel's song to my ears, so I searched for a legal way to obtain the song, and I naturally searched iTunes first. After being unsuccessful with the search of 'Tip Taps Tip', I searched Hal Cali, and instead of get the song I so dearly desired, I found a podcast labeled Geeknights with a show called "How to Get other People into Anime" by Rym and Scott. This sparked my interest, because I liked anime and I considered myself a geek, so I thought I should just listen to the beginning of podcast just to see what it was about. So I click the play button, and I listened to all 60-ish minutes of the podcast and immediately afterward, I subscribed to it through iTunes (Hal Cali has disappeared from my mind once I started listening). Then once that episode was on my iPod, I listened to that episode again with pen and paper, and I wrote down all the anime you guys recommended; Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Escaflowne, Excel Saga, and many, many more. Then I watched them, and those anime were so up my alley that it amazing.

And, yeah, that's pretty much it of my small saga. Now I must exit the ivory tower of intellect and knowledge.
  • I found GeekNights after I saw three awesome panels put on by Rym and Scott at PAX 2009. At the end of the panels they put up the front row crew website and I checked it out when I got back from Seattle. I've been downloading the old episodes from the archive and listening to them in my car on my way to and from work. Most episodes are the perfect length for my trip.
  • I found GeekNights after I saw three awesome panels put on by Rym and Scott at PAX 2009. At the end of the panels they put up the front row crew website and I checked it out when I got back from Seattle. I've been downloading the old episodes from the archive and listening to them in my car on my way to and from work. Most episodes are the perfect length for my trip.
    Have you not returned to PAX since '09?
  • I was at PAX Prime this year but unfortunately couldn't make it to your panels since they conflicted with something my buddy who was with me really wanted to go to. I'm looking into going to PAX East 2011 since my sister goes to school out there. I figured I'd go a little early and explore Boston a bit before hand with her. I am definitely going to go back to Prime in 2011 though. Are you guys planning on doing any panels at either of those?
  • I was at PAX Prime this year but unfortunately couldn't make it to your panels since they conflicted with something my buddy who was with me really wanted to go to. I'm looking into going to PAX East 2011 since my sister goes to school out there. I figured I'd go a little early and explore Boston a bit before hand with her. I am definitely going to go back to Prime in 2011 though. Are you guys planning on doing any panels at either of those?
    All PAXes.
  • I'll definitely have to hit up your panels again then. Are you planning on doing Action Castle again? I played at PAX Prime 09 and it was an awesome time. I'd definitely want to have my friends who come with play it.
  • edited November 2010
    Is it just me, or has there been a larger-than-usual influx of new forum members lately?

(Welcome, everybody!)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Honestly, I think the forum has become a little less intimidating as a whole without Nine.
  • Honestly, I think the forum has become a little less intimidating as a whole without Nine.
    Yeah, but I do kinda miss him.
  • Yeah, but I do kinda miss him.
    Truth.
    Truth.
    Yeah...Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    Truth.
    Yeah...Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    Depends how thick your skin is.