This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The 90's Thread

Comments

• Is this just a DC area black people thing or is the 90's fashion making a comeback! It's too damn soon! Plus I consider the 90's the worst fashion decade in the 20th century!

Nooooooooo!
  • I saw a guy the other day whose hair was styled exactly like Will Smith's when he was on Fresh Prince. And he was wearing a cheesy-looking, loose shirt with thick black and white stripes, too. I boggled. o.O
  • I got Canadian verification! The disease is spreading! THIS MUST STOP! I REFUSE TO SEE PEOPLE IN SPANDEX AND DOOR KNOCKER EARRINGS AGAIN! :P
  • Does anyone else remember watching those crappy live action kids shows on PBS? I remember one called Ghost writer that was especially cheesy. A "ghost" which was basically some circles would help some NYC teenagers solve mysteries by writing shit down. The best part was that the show was at the beginning of the Internet, so they talked about it like it was all futuristic. In one episode I remember one person talking to someone who had Internet saying something like, "It must be great to be able to talk to people from all over the world."

P.S. If you remember this show then you know that the slime monster arc was the best.
  • Did anyone play with Creepy Crawlers? There were bug molds that you put this syrup-y stuff in, and you cooked it in a plastic oven powered by a lightbulb. I think it was the boy's alternative to an Easy Bake Oven, which I never got, ironically.

And what is up with the leg warmers and spandex pants nowadays? Girl fashion is so weird, I don't get it.
  • I still have my creepy crawlers, I think I just ran out of goo. Damn nostalgia
    And what is up with the leg warmers and spandex pants nowadays? Girl fashion is so weird, I don't get it.
    I don't notice that at all where I live, the bigger obsession I see is with jeans. The spandex is obvious, I think they wear it simply because its fitting but, I don't really know about leg warmers.
  • Did anyone play with Creepy Crawlers?
    I had the Power Rangers Creepy Crawlers set. It was awesome and I made a lot of the Saber tooth Tiger robot.
  • I wanted Creepy Crawlers. Sigh....

Anyone owned any Sky Dancers?
  • Ooh I always wanted a Sky Dancer, but my mom watches the news too much and said they were too dangerous. Didn't they get recalled at one point because too many kids got their eyes poked out or something? Anyway, I just played with my friend's instead. I also had to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer at my friend's. Silly Mom.
  • I had a Dragon Flyz, and it broke.
  • The early 90s cemented in me a love of pseudoanime, like the oh so keen Pirates-of-Dark-Water-probably-animated-in-Korea mentioned above. :) By the late 90s I had discovered real anime, but my fondness for the other stuff remains.
    For me Exo-Squad re-ignited my love of Macross. From there it was a downward spiral of anime webrings and scrounging up what I could at Blockbuster and Turtle's Video.
  • The 90's got me started on Dragonball Z and anime. I also remember watching the Nick shows Doug, Ren & Stimpy, and Are You Afraid of the Dark. Batman and X-men were great too. Also Dexter's Lab was pretty good.
  • edited June 2008

I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the baloney combined.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • edited June 2008
    I piggybacked most of my social life off of my friends. I didn’t have any game consoles but one of my friends had an N64 and I would go over to her place to play.

Damn, I thought pogs were silly but sort of hoped that if I collected them I would understand what the hype was about…I didn’t (same goes for Trinity Blood. What the hell is the point of it?)

Darkwing Duck will forever hold a special place in my heart. Though I have forgotten so much of it. One of my friends tried to get me to sing the opening of Duck Tales with him and I couldn’t remember the lyrics for the life of me. I was so sad.

Let’s see, what about Tamagotchi? Everyone seemed to have them in grade school. I remember they got banned.

But really, what summed up the 90s to me was the dot com boom. I lived in silicon valley in an average sized house while all my friends had crazy mansions because their dads were CEOs and such (for some it was even more removed family members that were supporting the whole family). You could feel the insane energy when you went to neighborhood parities and everyone would be talking about their new renovations, landscaping, or the price that a house in the neighborhood just sold for.
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • Wacky Deli oh mans!
  • Daria, The Maxx, Batman TAS lot of other cartoons and a ton of time playing the Shinning Force series. Also camping/backpacking I wish I had time to go more now
  • Did anyone play with Creepy Crawlers? There were bug molds that you put this syrup-y stuff in, and you cooked it in a plastic oven powered by a lightbulb. I think it was the boy's alternative to an Easy Bake Oven, which I never got, ironically.

We usually left them around restaurants and school and got yelled at many a times for that.
  • edited April 2009
    The 90s called, they want their Blink-182, No Doubt, My Bloody Valentine, and Sunny Day Real Estate back.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The 90s called, they want their Blink-182, No Doubt, My Bloody Valentine, and Sunny Day Real Estate back.
    Is there a statute of limitations on how long a band can operate?
  • The 90s called, they want their Blink-182, No Doubt, My Bloody Valentine, and Sunny Day Real Estate back.
    Is there a statute of limitations on how long a band can operate?
    Considering the Stones haven't quit yet, my guess would be "no."

And as long as Lemmy is still alive, no true metal band is ever allowed to quit.
  • Man, I was so out of the loop on pop culture. Sometimes I'd see these TV shows at my friends houses, but I never knew what people were talking about when they would talk about TV. I do remember that I would watch Captain Planet at my granddad's house.
  • I do remember that I would watch Captain Planet at my granddad's house.
    I never understood "Heart" as an element on that show, even as a kid.
  • Genndy Tartakovsky's golden era.
    It's the fifth element.
    It's the fifth element.
    L-O-L!
  • Speaking of TGIF:

Boy Meets World and Sabrina pretty much used to rule my Friday nights circa 1996-97. And I actually liked You Wish and Teen Angel, too, though those two are definitely not that good looking back on them with older eyes. Teen Angel was still the funnier of the two, though, and it was where I first saw Ron Glass, before Firefly! :)
    I used to love Boy Meets World as a younger kid.
    It's the fifth element.
    My mind = blown.

And Heart was the lame-ass touchy-feely element, since Captain Planet was nominally about working together to save the environment and other assorted hippie crap.

Molybdenum or bismuth would've been much better choices as a fifth element.
    As long as people hold the flame for a band they live on! (Adds kerosene to her No Doubt fire temple.)
  • How is it that no one's mentioned Are You Afraid of the Dark yet?