This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• aving The Ambassador helps, too, because if you're a good enough shot, you can drop someone who is in your way without much trouble,
    Sigh...
    Less QQ more PewPew
  • Less QQ more PewPew
    This is my favorite phrase ever. It was the best thing to come out of WoW for me.
  • Less QQ more PewPew
    This is my favorite phrase ever. It was the best thing to come out of WoW for me.
    It came out of Warcraft 3.
  • It came out of Warcraft 3.
    Did it really? I wasn't really into WC3, so I wouldn't know.

Anyhow, back to the convo:

There's nothing necessarily bad about unbalanced or asymmetrical gameplay, but I primarily rail against the crap way that you have to get the stuff in TF2.

But all this TF2 talk is also making me miss the game. One day, when I have free time, I think I'll hop back on and see what's doing.
  • Did it really? I wasn't really into WC3, so I wouldn't know.
    Yeah. In WC3, if you wanted to quit a match quickly you would press alt and the 'q' key twice to take you directly to the menu screen. Hence, QQ became a synonymous with ragequitting.
  • I really need to catch-up with all this new TF2 Item stuff. I may be up for trading or giving away a few items, because I have several vintage replicas.
  • edited June 2011
    I really need to catch-up with all this new TF2 Item stuff. I may be up for trading or giving away a few items, because I have several vintage replicas.
    It's pretty easy - If I can't be bothered with public servers, I'll just start a practice match or a AI-bot game, and then sv_lan and sv_pure 0 in the console, change map, and I can piss about and play quick rounds with bots, but still get random item drops from playtime.

Edit - also, for some reason, I'm having trouble getting the list of servers to refresh in the main server browser. Kinda annoying.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2011
    I really need to catch-up with all this new TF2 Item stuff. I may be up for trading or giving away a few items, because I have several vintage replicas.
    I have lots of items too. Maybe I'll give it away to CRYBABIES! YAAAAAAAAAH.
    Edit - also, for some reason, I'm having trouble getting the list of servers to refresh in the main server browser. Kinda annoying.
    It's been doing that for years. You're right: Super fucking annoying.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited June 2011
    It's been doing that for years. You're right: Super fucking annoying.
    Damned right - be nice to not be restricted to the same four or five servers, without having to trawl through pages and pages of servers lists on serverlist sites.

I mentioned this to another friend who has been playing somewhat longer than me, and he directed me to a site which is actually made to work well with the steam overlay's built in browser, so you don't have to alt-tab around when looking for servers.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So what makes this game better than the original Team Fortress or Action Quake?
    I just played a round and ran around killing everyone with melees as scout, it was almost to the point of spawn camping, it wasn't skillful from my perspective, it didn't feel awesome either.

The thing with the classes in the original Team Fortress that I appreciated was that anyone could take on anyone. The scout basically moved faster but was restricted to using the machine gun. Taking out a Soldier classed player was based on skill. In this game, all you do is rush down a soldier and beat him down.

The server browsing issue is ridiculous, I assumed Valve would have done a good job of this but I need to shut down Steam completely and restart it and in other situations I have to restart the computer as it gets to the point of servers loading me in and then refusing Steam Validation.
  • So what makes this game better than the original Team Fortress or Action Quake?
    For me, it's that it is near impossible to find a Action Quake server :-p
  • edited June 2011
    I just played a round and ran around killing everyone with melees as scout, it was almost to the point of spawn camping, it wasn't skillful from my perspective, it didn't feel awesome either.
    Eh, I don't know. I've played games where I absolutely thrashed, and games where I just got massacred relentlessly. It seems to just be the luck of the draw there. TF and Action quake, Counterstrike, most games, really are not that fun if your opponent is unskilled.
    Taking out a Soldier classed player was based on skill. In this game, all you do is rush down a soldier and beat him down.
    Then that player is simply not as good at the game. I've tried that and been torn up, and tried it and won - Hell, I've even rushed up on and beat a heavy, because I could run faster than he could turn to hit me, and his team wasn't backing him up. If he'd have had a medic with him, I'd propably have died pretty quick, because the medic would have been able to heal him up, as well as hitting me with his melee or shooting me with whatever variation of syringe gun he had.

Nothing you've said seems to be a problem with the game(except server browsing, but that's a different issue), but rather with the players you were just playing against. And of course, keep in mind, since the game just went free, there has been a huge influx of new players.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Here are some maps I'm thinking of throwing into the rotation. Lemme know what you guys think:

CP_Kakariko_A3.
    CP_No_Mercy.
    CP_Hardhat.
    DOM_Canalzone.
  • Here are some maps I'm thinking of throwing into the rotation. Lemme know what you guys think:
    I'm thinking of cheerful, cheerful mayhem.
  • As a side note, I'm going to make good on that threat to also have a counter-strike: source server on there, so if Valve starts a steam sale and puts CS:S on sale (they tend to), I would recommend getting it.
  • You mean there are people who don't already have it? I mean, fuck, even my sister has it CS:S and she is by no means a big PC gamer.
  • You mean there are people who don't already have it? I mean, fuck, even my sister has it CS:S and she is by no means a big PC gamer.
    She should get in on the action here with TF2. No excuse, it's free.
    I dunno. Figured I'd warn everyone, just in case.
  • Welp, I guess I'll start playing TF2 again. Who wants some cannon fodder?
    I'm striking out left and right today. I don't have it, either.
    She should get in on the action here with TF2. No excuse, it's free.
    Already told her, but she's too busy trying to complete Hitman. She had to take a break from it, though; people hanging on meathooks kinda creeped her out.
  • edited June 2011
    You mean there are people who don't already have it?
    There is no compelling reason to buy CS:S, ever. Call me when someone pays me €600.000.000 to play it for an hour and gifts me a copy.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited June 2011
    Churbster needs more friends. He's tired of getting beat on by myself.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'll be there in like 15min.

PS: Every time I faced new equipment on the other teams side, it took me at most 1 round to adapt to it. In the end, equipment makes little to no difference (unless you are looking for an excuse as to why you are sucking).
  • I'll be there in like 15min.

PS: Every time I faced new equipment on the other teams side, it took me at most 1 round to adapt to it. In the end, equipment makes little to no difference (unless you are looking for an excuse as to why you are sucking).
    All those people with better weapons are why I keep losing!
  • Fuck... the game just updated, now I'm locked out until the server is updated as well :(
  • Server is running an older version of the game?
  • Churbster needs more friends. He's tired of getting beat on by myself.
    It's true - I need other people to distract him from killing me once in a while.
  • Blargh, updates! Sorry, I'm on it.
  • So if Neito is near me, and I got FiOS, and I do own TF2 ... maybe I wouldn't suck with some lag advantage!