This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Hockey Thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• Rangers lost to the Habs 3-1 on Monday. Tortorella said after the game "That was one of the worst games I've ever been involved with". Then they lost to the Habs 3-0 yesterday.

I think Torts is on his way out. Would be particularly funny if he was replaced by Ruff. Torts used to be an assistant coach in Buffalo, but I'm not sure if it was under Ruff. Oh yeah, did I mention that Ruff got canned in Buffalo after 16 years? About time. They are now last in the east after the Capitals actually won a couple of games and the Sabres lost 4-0 to the Islanders under a new head coach.
  • Rangers lost to the Habs 3-1 on Monday. Tortorella said after the game "That was one of the worst games I've ever been involved with". Then they lost to the Habs 3-0 yesterday.

I think Torts is on his way out. Would be particularly funny if he was replaced by Ruff. Torts used to be an assistant coach in Buffalo, but I'm not sure if it was under Ruff. Oh yeah, did I mention that Ruff got canned in Buffalo after 16 years? About time. They are now last in the east after the Capitals actually won a couple of games and the Sabres lost 4-0 to the Islanders under a new head coach.
    Even us Rangers fans don't like Tortorella. You want the coach to be a person you can look up to or be proud of. None of that going on here.
  • Ovi actually got a hat trick yesterday! Happy for him.

Given the performance of the Rags and the Knicks this month, I actually think there's something rotten in the stadium of Madison Square Garden. They've been dealing with new pressure from Barclays Center as well as the new lease renewal problems. Maybe MSG management is starting to affect the coaches and teams?
  • edited February 2013

Sorry, Andrew, I had to.

Also, Simon Gagne scored a goal for the Flyers. Everything is right in the hockey world again.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited March 2013
    At the cross-section of hockey and geekery we find that Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has a new, Star Wars themed mask. It featured Yoda wielding an orange Lightsaber (the team color of the Flyers) until Lucasfilm made him change it. Images of the very nice looking mask in the link.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on

Approved re-alignment.
  • What's up group D? Blue Jackets what? Bluejacks at Islanders -> lowest attendance game ever.
  • edited March 2013
    Division D is the division of death. Also, Florida got shafted.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Division A has no original six teams, and is therefore the worst. Respect the Oilers, though.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2013
    Detroit will be facing harder teams than in the past, but will simultaneously not be flying to bumblefuck for most of their away games.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Detroit will be facing harder teams than in the past, but will simultaneously not be flying to bumblefuck for most of their away games.
    Two Florida teams = definition of Bumblefuck.
  • Division D is the division of death.
    Division C doesn't look like a cakewalk either. Four Original Six teams represent, yo!
    Also, Florida got shafted.
    Supposedly, the reason why they put Florida in Division C is because there are so many transplants from the other Division C cities living down there who they expect to go see games when their old home town teams are in town.
  • Division D is the division of death.
    Division C doesn't look like a cakewalk either. Four Original Six teams represent, yo!
    Also, Florida got shafted.
    Supposedly, the reason why they put Florida in Division C is because there are so many transplants from the other Division C cities living down there who they expect to go see games when their old home town teams are in town.
    By that logic shouldn't the Florida teams be in Division D? Then Columbus can go to group C along with Pittsburgh or Carolina.
  • Supposedly, the reason why they put Florida in Division C is because there are so many transplants from the other Division C cities living down there who they expect to go see games when their old home town teams are in town.
    By that logic shouldn't the Florida teams be in Division D? Then Columbus can go to group C along with Pittsburgh or Carolina.
    Between C and D, I suppose it was a coin flip as to which division had more Florida transplants. Supposedly there are a fair number of Quebecois and Ontarians living Florida along with New Englanders, Michiganders, and upstate New Yorkers. I do agree that Columbus and Carolina could've probably been swapped with the two Florida teams and it wouldn't have made a difference. Actually, having Carolina in Division C would've been very interesting in that it has some linkage to the old Adams Division from when Carolina was still the Hartford Whalers.
  • By all geographical logic it should be that Pittsburgh and Columbus are grouped into the Northeast (C), and the Florida teams are in the Atlantic (D). However, the NHL wants to milk the Penguins-Flyers rivalry as much as possible and so that isn't going to happen, and just sending Columbus over for one of the Florida teams makes even less sense since the Lightning and the Panthers are pretty much a package deal.

Anyway, one thing that hasn't been mentioned: Within a conference, if the 5th team has more points in one division than the 4th of the other, than 5th team will get in and the 4ther from the other division will not.

Oh, and there has also been a change to the draft format. Now all the teams who don't make the playoffs have a chance to get 1st overall. I wonder if the Flyers win it after missing the playoffs by 3-7 points the conspiracy theories will exceed the conspiracy theories after Pittsburgh got Crosby. But anyway, I think the Flyers will do pretty much anything to get the 1st overall this year and there will be a trade if they don't, because fuck, do they ever need Seth Jones in their prospect pool.
  • My hometown team won its 30th national Championship today!

Took them long enough. Lost in the finals for the last 2 seasons. But 3rd time's the charm I guess.
    Google translated news article.
  • Another hattie for Ovi. Sup haters?