This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hi guys. Just decided to check out the forum on a whim, and I thought some of you might appreciate this.
    miss u bro. Make sure to check in with us when that graphic novel you were working on is coming out.
    The art for our new album, which will be a thrash/power metal parody specifically. I'm really not sure how to make this particularly over the top so I just aimed for as cliche as possible.
    Amazing.
    Post edited by Sail on

• 90s comic book art is so much fun to draw.
  • Needs more beltpouches.
  • edited February 2013
    photo tumblr_mhtqjasIvJ1r6b6a6o1_500_zpsd413d3d1.jpg

Thoughts?
    I want to use this as a design for the Threadless greeting card run. The inside says "Baby, you're a knock out!"
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah I love your lines so much!

Nitpicks: I'd watch the colour a little (it's bleeding out of the hair in a few places) and touch up the shading on the body under the glove a little.
  • edited February 2013
    Okay! :D Thanks!

I need other eyes to catch things like that.

And the lines? Manga Studio's G pen! The best pen! That, and I'm so inspired by Bryan Lee O'Malley's inking. :3
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I am still trying to figure out how Manga Studio works so my lines don't look all weird and the curves aren't super sharp. It would really help me with the Bloodcrusher promo comic if I could make lines that vaguely resemble real ink.
  • I am still trying to figure out how Manga Studio works so my lines don't look all weird and the curves aren't super sharp. It would really help me with the Bloodcrusher promo comic if I could make lines that vaguely resemble real ink.
    Hmmm. I'm trying to think of some good advice for that. I guess the closest I can think of is, draw like you are drawing with real ink. -_- Lame advice.

Really, keep playing with different brushes and sizes till you find what works for you. It took me months to discover how I like to ink in MS.
  • So that design from the other day got approved on Threadless for their greeting car contest! Cleaned it up a lot more before submitting it. Thanks for the crit, Open!
    Go score it?
  • Finished today, hand bound and cut, watercolor paper journal, 40 pages total, all hand made from scratch.

• I finished a design and now it's up on Threadless for scoring!

Tell me what you think and maybe give it a score?
  • Link to the Threadless page?
  • edited June 2013
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Total Overhaul of Cover

As Hardboiled is currently in that fun third party playtesting/editing stage of terrifyingness, I decided to make a better looking cover for it.
  • Why Union City and Gotham Borough? Why not make your own iconic city and not bring preconceptions?
  • edited June 2013
    I went back and forth on Gotham for a long time. I mean, yeah Batman, but Batman didn't invent New York being Gotham. What else do you call bizarro New York?

I don't know what this other Union City is from. I needed a name that said "United States" but emphasized it's nature as a city-state.

Map of Union City

Basically it's like a sort of weird, pulpy, twisted version of major cities of the United States all packed together into one giant sprawling metropolis. The world is familiar and analogs are everywhere, but like... I was kind of thinking of it the same way that Warhammer Fantasy is kinda like a fantasy version of the 1500s, all the same nations and peoples and general histories but with magic and monsters, so Hardboiled is a fantasy version of 1920-1940 but with robots and art deco nazis and alligator-people in the sewers.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited June 2013
    Isn't there one in New Jersey?
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited June 2013
    Isn't there one in New Jersey?
    Looks like. It also doesn't look like the kind of place that too many people would get confused over. I mean, 66,455 people vs a megacity the size of South Korea with half-mile tall towers enshrouded in permanent night? Not too much overlap.
  • Okay. I was immediately confused though. Union City is right across the river from New York City. Gotham brings up (in my mind) something like NYC crossed with Chicago. I guess I'd much prefer a new name that isn't connected with (pretty much) the most iconic fictional city ever.
  • edited June 2013
    If you come up with something, lemme know. I feel weird using the same sort of reference play I did for other cities on the New York analog. (For example, Sinestra is Chicago; it's basically "Sinatra", who loved My Kind of Town, which of course is a song about Chicago, mixed with "Sinister", as the place is run by the mob and half-way in ruins.) Like, New York is New York. There shouldn't really be any mind games about that. Gotham is an old and well-known name for New York; there is a reason Batman uses it as well.
  • Some art for the inside of the book is done. This is the "Partner" archetype's class page illustration.

I'm really happy with this style. It's relatively fast to do and it looks great.
  • I did some arts!
  • edited July 2013
    Snow White looks like she's about to shank that apple.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Posted on the tumblr some months ago
  • edited February 2014
    So, picked up a brush and tried some brush inking and watercolors, need to work a lot on a whole bunch of aspects, but I'm not ashamed of the outcome.

Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Quickie for a friends bday bash, it reads kinda weird and I can see some problems with the perspective here and there, but not a bad for a couple of hours of work.
  • edited February 2014
    I made a witchsona on the tumbles.
    Post edited by gomidog on

Inking practice, since I'm still not at the level to come up with shit like this straight from my head, I used an image I had on my reference folder, unfortunately I got it from an image aggregator and it was not properly credited (I rename the files with the authors name when available).

Dipping pen with Winsor & Newton black and white ink, on neutral gray A4 Canson.

I need a freaking scanner...

posted on mah toobles
  • edited March 2014

You win some, you lose some, started out as a study of a female back, ended up as Wonder Woman. Please ignore the obvious hands hiding behind the hair, and the wonky hips/butt <_<.

Dipping pens with Pelican India Ink (first time using it, dries fast as fuck, but it runs a bit watery off the nib), and Winsor & Newton white India Ink, neutraiish orange Canson paper.

Uploaded to das <a href="http://papionda.tumblr.com">TOOMBLES

***edit, for some reason the a tag is being a jerk.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
    More inks fun, this time is the hulk, drawn from a 3D reference. Still long way to go, but slowly getting there.

I'd say about 60% gray Canson, brush, G-nib, Winsor & Newton black and white.

I really need a scanner.

Uploaded to der toombles