This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• I just realized what it is -- you look like M. Bison!
    That! I thought it was a hat on your head a first, not hair.
  • Why the fuck did you make a realistic portrait or Garterbelt? Seriously, as if he wasn't creepy enough already.
  • The hood the pokemon develops during evolution reminds me of a cobra. Perhaps he can be a normal/poison type.

Cobree > Cobrayla > Cobraleon
    The red color definitely suggests that fire is involved.
    I like those three (and they're the only decent suggestions I've received so far:P). Also, Scott, the color is a raw sienna, so it's warm but still definitely a brown. I'm guessing there's some color inconsistencies that happened between scanner/adobe/screen/internet/screen.
  • edited June 2011

Cthulhu Jesus spray-painted on a fridge door.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Awesome!
  • I drew something for the first time in forever. Hooray!

• I drew something for the first time in forever. Hooray!
    I wish that I was so good the first time I picked up a pencil and drew.
    Traced a picture of myself and tried to draw a face in my "style." I like it.
  • Uglyfred -- looks friggin great. Josh -- I have to admit that the highly iconified features combined with the realistic proportions is weirding me the fuck out. But it does look like a well-done weird face. :) Structurally, it's solid.
  • Josh -- I have to admit that the highly iconified features combined with the realistic proportions is weirding me the fuck out. But it does look like a well-done weird face. :) Structurally, it's solid.
    My job here is done, then. :P
    Thanks! I really appreciate it.
    What's funny is a nose looks completely out of place on this drawing. I tried putting one on with a few lines, and everything looked really off.
  • More like above.
  • The four temperaments (also called the "four humors") was a theory that behavior was caused by concentrations of body fluids — the "humours" of Classical medicine: namely blood, yellow bile, black bile, and phlegm. Each of these would affect a person's personality differently, and the way these fluids were thought to affect behavior eventually became a part of personality theory, eventually separated completely from the idea that fluids actually controlled behavior. However, the names still remain. An ensemble based on these four humors can make the ensemble diverse without actually changing the roles of the characters in the show's continuity.

I'm not much of a colorist but I found a way to paint there even though I despise paint greatly. however each of these is comprised of different shades of a particular color. I used one base color and extrapolated from there. If something i neither is not made from that base color besides the outlines, I'll eat a part of my zelda hat.

Sanguine (blood): Extroverted and people-oriented. Exhibits optimism, good cheer, a love of fun, enthusiasm. On the flip side, they may be impulsive, arrogant, self-indulgent, easily angered or upset, wear their hearts on their sleeves, or even be a space case. Corresponds to the element of air.

Choleric (yellow bile): Extroverted and task-oriented. Exhibits leadership, dominance, ambition, charisma, passion. But also shows narrow-mindedness, obsession, and a Hair-Trigger Temper. Corresponds to the element of fire.

Melancholic (black bile): Introverted and task-oriented. Courteous, organized, hard-working, analytical; but also a brooding, high-strung perfectionist whose insanely high standards leads to depression. Corresponds to the element of earth.

Phlegmatic (phlegm): Introverted and people-oriented. Is calm, stoic, reliable, compassionate, observant; but also lazy, reactionary, docile. Corresponds to the element of water.
  • Phlegmatic is my favorite of that bunch in nearly every respect. I also like the color schemes.

I'm curious about the background patterns. It seems some of them correspond to the humour (phlegmatic, melancholic) while one corresponds to the element (choleric), and the last is sort of arbitrary.

To make this a set, it might be cool to make the backgrounds all follow the same pattern. I'd suggest using the element, since all the humours are basically goop. Phlegmatic already sort of follows water (goopy water), melancholic sort of does earth near the top with geometric shapes, choleric looks nearly like fire (but sanguine looks more fiery), and sanguine could have wispy red.
  • Choleric's background actually wasn't meant t o be associated with the element but with the personality, sort of explosive, bursting with power and raw energy and passion but more angry and extroverted rather than the more collectivity bursting sanguine that's meant to be like being the person is glowing and giving off warmth.

If anything, Melancholic's background is arbitrary sans the squares, I just did something that looked droopy and screamed "stick in the mud" or "wet blanket" but having nothing to do with the element or the humour unlike most of the others that either do or

Melancholic's squares were meant to be a sort of joke that was poorly placed. If you notice, all the squares are perfectly aligned except for the last one which is crooked slightly and since Melancholy is associated with perfectionism he's all worried about that one being crooked.

Fora full set I would've added Supine but 's harder to break a large piece of paper into five equal parts.

I'll look into re-doing this if for no other reason, my obsession with never throwing away characters.
  • I hadn't thought about the backgrounds matching the personality extremes of each. They are actually quite a bit more fitting and less arbitrary in that context.
  • edited July 2011
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • ... That's so beautiful I now have no choice but to quit.
  • ... That's so beautiful I now have no choice but to quit.
    Oh hush, Emily is a graphic designer for a living, you aren't doing that bad.
  • edited July 2011
    ... That's so beautiful I now have no choice but to quit.
    It's been my standard reaction for so long I don't know how to stop. Anything too good sends pencils flying out of my hands and makes photoshop look even farther away. Besides, discouragement keeps me from becoming stupid.
    Post edited by Mousa The 14 on
  • edited July 2011
    Nooo, I don't want to be a graphic designer! I want to be a 3D animator again! (I have been doing UI design, but my main job is 3D art.)
    No artistic self abuse! You should see my friends compared to me! They make me feel the same way, because they are so good, but I keep on truckin'.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited July 2011
    Boredom+time+paper+pencil=art!
    TQB, The QuarterBack robot.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Whoa. Badass! I love all the shapes and the joints, especially the hips. And all those tiny details... ooo.
  • It's fascinating, the detail is most certainly well down but I am bothered severely by how it's supposed to walk, which is probably why I always draw machines on wheels.I do like the way the torso and head are shaped though.
  • Ooh whats this?? I decided to check back here and theres no pony pics at all? Well ill fix that with my most recent piece

Photobucket

By recent i mean more than a month ago by now. My work with the pony MMO sucks up most of my art time these days.
  • That is incredible.
  • Holeeeeey Shit.
  • "Pony MMO?" Sounds like the start of something big. Great work!
  • My self-portrait from drawing class today came out okay.

Looks great Sail!
  • Looks great Sail!
    It's among the worst self-portraits in human history. Sail is not Garterbelt.
    Friend's pony OC. \o/

I am gradually getting the hang of Painter this week. It is a bit of a bitch, tbh.