This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Plastic Instrument Games

edited June 2008 in Video Games
Both of the plastic instrument franchises are locked in battle ten times worse than HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Each keeps putting out more and better incompatible instruments than the competitor. Each keeps getting more and better song lists. If you buy into one or the other, you're stuck once they make some improvements. Since I only really want to have one set of fake instruments in my house, I told Rym that I was not going to buy any more of these games until something happens.

That something is when there is one game that offers The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Queen all together. Well, did I call it, or did I call it? It can't be much longer now.

Comments

• Please include a synopsis for those of us who have work filters on our Internets.
  • The list is shrinking, but there are still a few legendary bands who continue to elude the money-making snare of Activision's and Harmonix's respective music game franchises -- Led Zeppelin, for instance, or AC/DC, or Jethro Tull. (What? Heavy Horses would rule in Rock Band). But according to a story by The Financial Times, a deal may be coming soon to net the biggest band of them all: The Beatles.

The Times reports (via Next-Gen) that Beatles representatives are currently in negotiations with Activision and MTV Games, although curiously the exact wording of the Times story says the talks aim "to create a Beatles-themed video game in a move that could pave the way for a broader licensing of the Fab Four's catalogue." This seems to suggest there may first be a stand-alone Beatles product, perhaps something akin to the Metallica-branded versions Guitar Hero, before their songs are used in normal versions of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. It's also possible that the Times' wording is simply inaccurate, but it's hard to say.

According to an unnamed source close to the talks, the deal could be worth several million dollars, and may be reached within weeks. For that, an agreement must be made between Apple Corp. (the band's company, not that Apple) and EMI, which owns the rights to the Beatles' master recordings.

Interesting side note: Depending on if you happen to consider this bad news, in terms of sullying the purity of the group's music, it (like all other blights to artistic purity in the music industry these days) can apparently be attributed to American Idol. According to Martin Bandier, chief executive of Sony/ATV Music Publishing (owner of over 200 Beatles copyrights), they've been receiving a large influx of licensing inquiries ever since certain Beatles songs were allowed to be used for the popular talent search program. We imagine Simon Cowell, in full-on Predator mode, adding another ceremonial porcelain skull to his sinister trophy rack.
    That's all.
  • What am I missing here? You "called" that the most popular music games in the world would pursue songs from the most popular band in the world? Hot damn! You're a regular Kreskin.
  • How popular are these old 60's-70's bands? I heard enough of these bands back when they were together and pumping out new material. I'm tired of hearing it now.
  • How popular are these old 60's-70's bands? I heard enough of these bands back when they were together and pumping out new material. I'm tired of hearing it now.
    I couldn't agree with you more. People's fetish with old rock bands needs to die. Long live new music!
  • Personally, I'd like to see a Rock Band: Melodic Death Metal Edition.

• I have a plastic instrument, and I can play any song I want to with it... It is a recorder. It doesn't sound like a guitar and its a real instrument, but its plastic. Actually I think I've lost what I was getting at here.
  • edited June 2008
    How popular are these old 60's-70's bands? I heard enough of these bands back when they were together and pumping out new material. I'm tired of hearing it now.
    Ha-ha, you are old. ^_^ How can you be tired of hearing good music? That is like saying, "Wow, I am so tired of Vivaldi! That guy's stuff has just been around for ages." Why can't people enjoy older music and new music? I certainly enjoy both.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
    Ha-ha, you are old. ^_^ How can you be tired of hearing good music? That is like saying, "Wow, I am so tired of Vivaldi! That guy's stuff has just been around for ages."
    Would you be tired of Vivaldi if you only ever heard one or two pieces of his work every day performed by the exact same orchestra? As much as I love Eine Kleine Nacht Music by Mozart I do not want to hear it every day!
    Ha-ha, you are old. ^_^ How can you be tired of hearing good music? That is like saying, "Wow, I am so tired of Vivaldi! That guy's stuff has just been around for ages." Why can't people enjoy older music and new music? I certainly enjoy both.
    I'll be honest, most "classical" (I put that in quotes because Vivaldi is Baroque, not Classical) kinda bores me these days. I still appreciate it, certainly, and I'll listen to it if it happens to be on, but I no longer actively pursue listening to it.

Vivaldi is a good choice, though. Alexi Laiho agrees with me.
  • Hot damn! You're a regular Kreskin.
    Yes, I have exactly the same amount of psychic ability as Kreskin.
  • With Rock Band being out on the Wii now, I am going to just buy that and wash my hands of the Guitar Hero franchise (except for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, but that one still uses just the guitar).
  • Well you can still use the GH3 guitar in GH4, and also the DLC carries over. However it doesn't carry over to GHA.

If Rock Band actually comes out in Australian any time soon I may get it, though the improvements GH4 seem to bring to the table give me pause.
    Ha-ha, you are old. ^_^ How can you be tired of hearing good music? That is like saying, "Wow, I am so tired of Vivaldi! That guy's stuff has just been around for ages."
    Would you be tired of Vivaldi if you only ever heard one or two pieces of his work every day performed by the exact same orchestra? As much as I loveEine Kleine Nacht Musicby Mozart I do not want to hear it every day!
    Who said everyday? Switch up your ipod's playlist, old man! ^_^
  • It may just be me, but I don't think most of music from the 60's-70's was all that great.

/puts on fire retardant suit...
  • It may just be me, but I don't think most of music from the 60's-70's was all that great.

/puts on fire retardant suit...
    There is such a wide variety of music and bands created at that time that is is hard to believe that people can't find something they enjoy. Not everyone has to like everything, but I find it strange to just discount entire eras or genres. Are you only considering the music played on "oldies" and "classic rock" stations? If so, that is such a small part of the music created in those decades. That is like judging current music on 50 Cent, The Pussycat Dolls, and Coldplay. It certainly doesn't represent the even a decent sized minority of today's music, genres, and artists.
  • edited June 2008
    It may just be me, but I don't think most of music from the 60's-70's was all that great.
    Same here, except I add the 80s in there.
    Post edited by Sail on
    Same here, except I add the 80s in there.
    The 80's gave us Slayer.

Get the hell off my Internet.
  • There is such a wide variety of music and bands created at that time that is is hard to believe that people can't find something they enjoy.
    Wow, good thing I said most and not all.
  • The 80's gave us Slayer.
    Wow, good thing I saidmostand notall.
  • The 80's gave us Slayer.
    Wow, good thing I saidmostand notall.
    You win this time, Gadget.
  • I agree that there is enough music in an era for everyone to find something the like, but in this case people are all concentrating on only a few things, negating that comment.

I personally hope Guitar Hero doesn't get the Beatles in it's setlist. I expect it would be boring to play in a game that is supposed to emphasise the guitar. Makes more sense in Rock Band though.
  • I went with Rock Band because of the steady stream of content and the knowledge of the quality of Harmonix games. I've been using my drumset about a month and it's still function perfectly. There is also a japanese version of Rock Band on the way, which gives me hope of getting a few good songs as downloadable content. However, Harmonix/MTV/EA screwed up a few times with this game, mostly the low quality of the early runs of instruments and the debacle that was the european release. They still haven't announced a date for australia.

Neversoft also seems to get a few things right, as DLC for Guitar Hero 3 will be compatible with GH4. But since you guys use the Wii, this doesn't really matter to you. I believe Guitar Hero would beat out Rock Band very easily if they would concentrate on putting out a steady stream of DLC rather than trying to flood the market with retail games. Literally the only song in the Aerosmith game that interested me was Complete Control by The Clash, and that song was already out for months on Rock Band. Guitar Hero Metallica will only get me interested if it has drums.
  • edited June 2008
    First off, that article is stupid in saying that Heavy Horses would be good in rock band. Aqualung would be 100x better...

I don't mind classic rock. Though I gotta say, it's not quite easy to find the lesser known bands of the 60's, 70s, and 80s. So therefore, the stuff played on the radio and maybe some other shit might be easy to find, other than that, I can't really blame people.
    Lately I've been listening to a lot of classic rock and new techno. It's a weird combination...but that's the phase I'm currently in.

And to get on the topic of the thread. Go with Rock Band. I have lost every drop of faith I ever had with GH after GH3 turned out to be GH3: Legends of Dragonforce, and GH Aerosmith is just fucking lame (and really, even if it was GH: Dkong's favorite band, I'd STILL call it fucking lame, because it just shows a lack of originality, diversity, and it shows a whole lot of dick sucking towards said band).
    Plus, as more and more downloads come out, RB's already godly track list just gets better and better.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited June 2008
    Are there any decent guitar parts in Rock Band?

Also, the first "Plastic Instrument" game that lets me use MIDI drums (I have a Yamaha DTS Express set) will probably get my vote. Then I don't need any other drum kit.
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • edited June 2008
    Are there any decent guitar parts in Rock Band?
    Depends on your definition of decent.
    IMO: Highway Star, Green Grass and High Tides, Enter Sandman, Welcome Home, and a few others are good. And that's only in the main setlist.
    For download packs....shit...Joker and the Thief, a lot of Rush, Metallica, Skynyrd...and then they released a hardcore/metalcore/whatever the fuck it's called pack with some INSANE drum and guitar parts.

So yeah, I'd say RB is pretty decent in the guitar field. Bass is really where it lacks. Even the hardest bass songs in the game are fairly easy compared to even the middle of the road guitar sections.
    Now, nothing is batshit hard like Dragonforce. But to me, that isn't that fun.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Ooh, sounds more interesting that I first thought. Now they just have to announce a release...
  • Also, the first "Plastic Instrument" game that lets me use MIDI drums (I have a Yamaha DTS Express set) will probably get my vote. Then I don't need any other drum kit.
    Yeah, why don't all these games just use MIDI?
  • Because then we'd only have to buy one set of Plastic instruments, of course.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2008
    MIDI is an overly complex archaic piece of garbage that's only useful because no one has ever bothered to make anything better. They probably just didn't want to bother with the trouble of figuring out how to support it (a nontrivial endeavor). It's one of those "just good enough to barely continue to do its job" protocols.
    Post edited by Rym on