This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Desktop Screenshots - Summer 08

Comments

• edited September 2008
    I change my desktop practically every fortnight, so I am hesitant to actually post anything in this thread.
    EDIT: Wow, I actually forgot to finish what I was saying!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I change my desktop practically every fortnight.
    I like when good things happen to me, but I wait two weeks to tell anyone because I like to use the word fortnight.
  • Wasn't that like the win 95 wallpaper?
    I hope you're kidding.
  • Thank you Dkong for showing me 4scape.org!!!
    I LOVE FLCL! I don't like icons covering my wallpaper. I just put programs i use the most on my desktop.
  • For my laptop screen I use a standard Mac background. However, when at home I plug in an external 19inch LCD and for that screen I use this picture:
    Link to the Wallpaper? I like it.
  • I think it's hilarious how many people use Linux, yet they do everything they can to get their GUI to be just like OSX.
  • image It's a picture of Pripyat 20+ years after the Chernobyl disaster.
  • I think it's hilarious how many people use Linux, yet they do everything they can to get their GUI to be just like OSX.
    Well, they are both *nix's really. And, lets face it, Gnome is ugly unless you spruce it up. So why not make it look like the prettiest of the major OS's? I'm happy. I get all the advantages of Linux without the price tag of a Mac.
  • edited September 2008
    Gnome is ugly unless you spruce it up
    Technically you're wrong, but I see what you mean. While Gnome has no default theme no-one has had the idea to hire people who make really good looking ones to have them make the default themes for distros.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    I find the dock is a totally awesome feature! So why not use it? As for the metal bar with the apple logo - maybe a bit much. ^^

But as I've stated before: If I had the money I'd totally buy a mac.
  • Arch linux desktops: When you build the whole thing from scratch, you can get really creative.
  • Arch linux desktops: When you build the whole thing from scratch, you can get really creative.
    What is Arch Linux based on?
  • edited September 2008
    Arch linux desktops: When you build the whole thing from scratch, you can get really creative.
    What is Arch Linux based on?
    The kernel, as far as I know.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Arch is sort of it's own thing. I like the package manager they use as it does all the compiling for you on your end, this means writing the scripts is very easy which, in turn, means you can find pretty much any program, updated regularly, and you don't need to know your way around compile problems.
  • edited September 2008
    Wasn't that like the win 95 wallpaper?
    Yes, it's reminiscent of the Mystery theme wallpaper that came with the first incarnation of Plus!
    It's a legal theme. Look at the case reporters.

I never said it was cool. However, I've used it since 1997.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
    Surely you don't think style and substance are the same? What your desktop looks like has nothing to do with how the OS works or compatibility with hardware and software. So what if I use RK Launcher to give XP the OSX launch bar? There are positive aspects to all platforms, and there should be no stigma against cross-uh... pollination?
  • edited September 2008
    My desktop is now changing every 15 minutes between 21 different Gurren Lagann backgrounds, my favourite of which is this one:
    Yay! Someone fixed it!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Dude, you need to scale that down.
    edited September 2008
    Image dimensions: 8578px × 5361px (scaled to 600px × 375px)
    I don't think I had that wallpaper in that ridiculous size. Thanks. :D

Edit, as for scaling down an image (sigh), just add: style="width: XXXpx;" to the img tag, and replace the three capital X's with a number.
    Post edited by ... on
    edited September 2008
    imageScrew it, I don't care that it's not really Summer any more. I'm posting my awesome desktop screenshot since I found this awesome image after running my wallpaper-sorter beta v2.0. Sadly I can't put the original on my photobucket since it's both larger than 1024x768 and 1MB.

@Li_Akahi, can you perhaps put your image behind a link? Perhaps make a thumbnail and put that in the image tag while linking to the image. 7MB takes quite a while to load, even with the pipe I have, not to mention the 1 second lock up whenever I change to the tab with the image. Rendering is a bitch.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited September 2008
    Can I get a link to that one Andrew?
    I'm using the following:
    Post edited by lackofcheese on