This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cosplaying

Comments

edited October 2009
    I have often manually typed the coding to get it correct.
    Me too. More people need to do this.
    That's only needed when you're quoting something from a previous page. Even then you can just select a single short word in any post, then click any quote button, or, if the person you're quoting on the previous page has posted on this page, hit the quote button in their post, then replace the one word with the message your reply to, replace the name if needed, ???, PROFIT.

Quoting is not glitchy whatsoever, that, or the forum software has grown sentient and loves me.

Addition:
    Should we not be expected to read what we are posting? I have often manually typed the coding to get it correct. There's a reason we proofread.
    You should proofread what you write, not what others write. After all, supposedly we have mods for that. The other part is people just failing to use the quoting feature properly, or cut corners (example me quoting a post on the previous page by quoting the part from Sonics post without changing the name). Next, people should stop caring about most instances of mis-citations because they do not matter. Only speak up when you get cited for a quote that is opposite of your views and therefore offensive. And even then, THEY'RE JUST FUCKING MISTAKES/LAZINESS, stop caring about such fucking trivial bullshit.

I'm tempted to just replace the name to either "Vagina" or "Penis" depending on the gender of the person I quote.

INB4 you all think Allah exists.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Actually, ignoring the misquotes, I think it's weird how you can't use the quote button on anything from a previous page. Vanilla is the only forum software that you doesn't let you.
  • Actually, ignoring the misquotes, I think it's weird how you can't use the quote button on anything from a previous page. Vanilla is the only forum software that you doesn't let you.
    It's a simple javascript that copy pastes and formats the blockquote for you. Other forums mostly use a bloated piece of crazy PHP for their quote generation only to then drop to shitty BBCode. Vanilla just has very simple and limited quoting functionality (partly due to using javascript).
    It's a simple javascript that copy pastes and formats the blockquote for you. Other forums mostly use a bloated piece of crazy PHP for their quote generation only to then drop to shitty BBCode. Vanilla just has very simple and limited quoting functionality (partly due to using javascript).
    They could just have the comment box on every page instead of just the last one.
  • Goddamn Vanilla software! It's making me look stupid! When the hell will Vanilla 2 come out?
  • @Yupa: I totally understand. I'd just appreciate it if you double-checked your quotes. :)

@Nine: It may not be important to you, but that doesn't mean it's not important to other people. Since you are not the only user on this forum, other people's opinions matter too, and some of us are pretty particular about the words we choose for a reason. You may not know all of those reasons. This is a public forum, and you never know who could dig up a page...maybe I don't want a prospective employer thinking I used language that I didn't. Your quote code is part of your post, not what someone else wrote. If you are going to quote someone, then you should attribute it to the right person.
  • The above statement is a complete contradiction of Nineless' internal logic.
  • This is a public forum, and you never know who could dig up a page...maybe I don't want a prospective employer thinking I used language that I didn't.
    Eh, just don't provide traceable (by a private org, anyway) contact info in your profile.
  • This is a public forum, and you never know who could dig up a page...maybe I don't want a prospective employer thinking I used language that I didn't.
    Eh, just don't provide traceable (by a private org, anyway) contact info in your profile.
    That's so cute that you believe that.

Just because it isn't good enough to be admissible as evidence in court doesn't mean it can't hurt you.
  • edited October 2009
    This is a public forum, and you never know who could dig up a page...maybe I don't want a prospective employer thinking I used language that I didn't.
    That's so cute that you believe that.

Just because it isn't good enough to be admissible as evidence in court doesn't mean it can't hurt you.
    True. It'll be fifteen to twenty years before I have legitimate employment anyway, though. But, I suppose it couldn't hurt to clean up my language where applicable, even if I haven't said anything on here that would keep me out of a job.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yeah...to be fair, I'm not necessarily looking at jobs exclusively in the private sector. My philosophy is that if you don't want it to be discoverable, don't put it on the internet. Better yet, don't allow it to be recorded. But you know...barring that, don't put it on the internet.

You never know what your future employer is going to care about, or who they are going to be. You never know what might come back to bite you in the ass, so don't put anything out there that you don't absolutely own. Everything I've said online, I am happy to stand behind if questioned. It's what I do.
  • Yeah...to be fair, I'm not necessarily looking at jobs exclusively in the private sector. My philosophy is that if you don't want it to be discoverable, don't put it on the internet. Better yet, don't allow it to be recorded. But you know...barring that, don't put it on the internet.

You never know what your future employer is going to care about, or who they are going to be. You never know what might come back to bite you in the ass, so don't put anything out there that you don't absolutely own. Everything I've said online, I am happy to stand behind if questioned. It's what I do.
    Good policy. I can get behind that.
  • Even just an opinion that is falsely attributed to you can be dangerous. Once, someone made a fake Facebook profile of me. They swiped a photo to use as a profile picture and filled out all my same contact info. Normally, I would probably have just friended "myself" and had some fun with it, but they were joined to a group that was for marijuana legalization. A potential employer trying to snoop my profile, looking at the wrong one and attributing that to me would = bad.
  • edited October 2009
    I feel the same way about photos that get tagged of me on Facebook. I've never had a picture of me that didn't got hand in hand with plausible deniability tagged, but there are enough photos of me at parties where others are drinking that I'm going to deactivate my Facebook before applying to med school.

Also, presently, this forum is the only place I'm known as WindUpBird (for the time being; I might change my Gamertag/Steam Profile later), so I have that barrier (however weak) in place.

EDIT: Nuri already has me going. I deleted all my notes (visible through Google!) from Facebook, and am working on thinking of a different name to use for a bit. I'm trying to delete my Twitter (though it's entirely unused, and is protected), but the password-reset is being uncooperative. I suppose what this boils down to is a need to absolutely minimize my user-identifiable net footprint.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • @Nine: It may not be important to you, but that doesn't mean it's not important to other people. Since you are not the only user on this forum, other people's opinions matter too, and some of us are pretty particular about the words we choose for a reason. You may not know all of those reasons. This is a public forum, and you never know who could dig up a page...maybe I don't want a prospective employer thinking I used language that I didn't. Your quote code is part of your post, not what someone else wrote. If you are going to quote someone, then you should attribute it to the right person.
    You're worried about an employer finding a comment that's accidentally attributed to you which is TRIVIALLY pointed out to be a mistake by showing who actually wrote the quoted words? Jesus Henrietta Christ, this is exactly that stupid United States work culture behaviour that makes your country look insane, because oh my god, what will we ever do if we slightly inconvenience another person by having to clear a trivial thing up to them.

Nuri, that's just stupid. If you're so worried about people finding your usernames on these forums, UNPLUG THE INTERNET AND NEVER RETURN, since that's the only way to calm this ridiculous paranoia.
  • edited October 2009
    You're worried about an employer finding a comment that's accidentally attributed to you which is TRIVIALLY pointed out to be a mistake by showing who actually wrote the quoted words? Jesus Henrietta Christ, this is exactly that stupid United States work culture behaviour that makes your country look insane, because oh my god, what will we ever do if we slightly inconvenience another person by having to clear a trivial thing up to them.

Nuri, that's just stupid. If you're so worried about people finding your usernames on these forums, UNPLUG THE INTERNET AND NEVER RETURN, since that's the only way to calm this ridiculous paranoia.
    The thing is, Nine, it's not just the employees responsible for this attitude. From what I gather, that kind of attitude is not uncommon among U.S. employers. When I accidentally posted my "naïve" comment in the other thread, the main thing I had in mind was that I really don't want to work for an employer like that in the first place (I don't live in the U.S., but that doesn't mean I'm not considering working there).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Nine, I know people who have been fired for a single photo that was uploaded to Facebook in which they weren't doing anything illegal. For instance, one person was simply holding a cup of beer at a party. Illegal? No...but still, their employers thought the photo might send a bad message, and thus they were terminated. YES, it's stupid and crazy, but it's a valid concern. The reason people are paranoid about it is because EMPLOYERS are doing things that make us worry about it.

You have seen the crazy shit that people make up in US politics based on something minor that a person said when they were in 8th grade. For someone who might go into politics, it is not stupid to attempt to avoid giving these people canon fodder. In public office, public opinion is your employer. I am NOT worried about people finding my username on this forum because I stand behind what I have said. What I do not want is other people's words being attributed to me.

Regarding fixing a misunderstanding, the problem is that it's a lot harder to fix a problem with your employer after the damage is done. There are shitloads of red tape and forms and technicalities, and probably pay interruptions. It can be months before things get straightened out. Again, in public opinion, you are pretty much maligned even if it turns out it was all a mistake. Michael Jackson was acquitted for all the charges he was accused of, and how many people still think he was a child molester despite never being convicted?

I really don't care what you think. You're not me, you have no idea what my situation is, and you don't even live in this country, so HOW can you possibly say you know anything about how internet misattribution will impact me? I have asked that people check their posts to make sure they quote the correct person, which is not unduly burdensome or time consuming or unreasonable. I am done discussing this topic with you.
  • EDIT: Nuri already has me going. I deleted all my notes (visible through Google!) from Facebook, and am working on thinking of a different name to use for a bit. I'm trying to delete my Twitter (though it's entirely unused, and is protected), but the password-reset is being uncooperative. I suppose what this boils down to is a need to absolutely minimize my user-identifiable net footprint.
    I do the same thing every once in a while, I actually quite enjoy it.
  • The thing is, Nine, it's not just the employees responsible for this attitude. From what I gather, that kind of attitude is not uncommon among U.S. employers.
    I didn't say that it was just employees responsible, I said the work culture, the whole boat.
    but it's a valid concern
    I stand by the point that it's a fucked up concern and shouldn't even be a concern at all. The worst kind of employer you should put up with is the kind that would ask you about the picture and tell you to not make it public. Every employer that just fires you without talking about it should be spared on the spot from the inconvenience of having to fire you by you personally quitting right there and then.
    I am NOT worried about people finding my username on this forum because I stand behind what I have said.
    What I do not want is other people's words being attributed to me.
    So which is it? Worried about your user name being seen or not?
    I have asked that people check their posts to make sure they quote the correct person, which is not unduly burdensome or time consuming or unreasonable. I am done discussing this topic with you.
    OH YES! I forgot you were the first ever on these forums to file that complaint, and that I specifically talked about you and not just people in general on these carping forums. I forgot that publicly posting and derailing a thread with generic pathetic complaints that have been stated multiple times before in multiple equally pathetic forms is preferred over sending a whisper to the person who made the accidental mistake, which is not unduly burdensome or time consuming or unreasonable. I forgot this discussion did not start about a generic statement about stupid behaviour and instead was all about you. Sorry, my mistake. You still suck though.
  • Wow. What a surprise, Nine being making a total ass of himself. :3

Maybe that how employers should be- worrying about inconveniences like her quitting her job, etc. People shouldn't have to be concerned with things they post on the internet that aren't illegal, but would worry an employer. It isn't her fault that maybe some random person posted a picture of her drinking, or whatever else it may be. The thing is, that's not how the real world works. This is a perfectly valid concern.
  • edited October 2009
    making a total ass of himself
    *Somewhere in the distance, a lone man laughs hysterically into an awkward silence for entirely too long.*
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2009
    I stand by the point that it's a fucked up concern and shouldn't even be a concern at all.
    I'm glad you agree that it shouldn't be that way, but it is. It may not be such a huge concern in certain sectors, but if you're in a public service position (or planning to go into politics, or into any arena where people try to criticize your character), misquoting can be incredibly damaging. This is an issue of reality and pragmatism, not one of fanciful wishing.

Regardless, the point still stands that there is a quoting bug of some sort. It's been reported by multiple different posters, each with unique posting habits, temperaments, and so forth. I've observed it myself. The likelihood that all of these posters are somehow conspiring together in a massive effort to misquote each other is effectively zero. The far more likely scenario is that there is a bug that exhibits itself under some obscure set of circumstances, and purely by chance, you have not experienced it. From cursory observation, the misquoting happens most often in threads that develop quickly, so I'm betting it has something to do with the way the forum processes posts that come in rapid succession. Who knows? I'm not a coder, but something is going on, and not all of it is intentional.

So, while someone may investigate the cause of the abnormality, the challenge is on posters to pay attention to what they're posting. It's a simple request, and it's far more efficient to post a blanket reminder statement, as Nuri did, that it is to point out every case of it and correct the offending poster (as Nine has proposed). Not everyone has the time or the inclination to lambaste someone every time they make a minor error. I find that the people who do have the time and inclination to do so are flaming douchebags with nothing of value to add to a discussion, unless it is their specific duty to point out those mistakes.

Draw your own conclusions.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Regardless, the point still stands that there is a quoting bug of some sort.
    >implying I will get 72 virgins in the afterlife if I blow myself up amidst you all.
    It's been reported by multiple different posters, each with unique posting habits, temperaments, and so forth.
    >implying that three cases since people started trying to pay attention are sufficient to start questioning unchanged code, and are not more likely to be human error and/or intention.
    The likelihood that all of these posters are somehow conspiring together in a massive effort to misquote each other is effectively zero.
    >implying that the majority of the misquoters does not dislike me.
    The far more likely scenario is that there is a bug that exhibits itself under some obscure set of circumstances
    From cursory observation, the misquoting happens most often in threads that develop quickly, so I'm betting it has something to do with the way the forum processes posts that come in rapid succession.
    >implying it's not a quoting bug but instead a page generation bug.
    Who knows? I'm not a coder, but something is going on, and not all of it is intentional.
    >implying that after ignoring the intentional misquotes the remainder is not statistically insignificant and can be attributed to human error.
    and it's far more efficient to post a blanket reminder statement, as Nuri did, that it is to point out every case of it and correct the offending poster (as Nine has proposed).
    >implying people haven't been making public (blanket) statements in every case and that anyone on the forums still doesn't know they have to think when posting.
    Not everyone has the time or the inclination to lambaste someone every time they make a minor error.
    >implying people shouldn't be publicly ridiculed for accidentally misquoting for they don't all have the time or inclination to over-check the trivial parts of their posts in favour of the meaningful parts.
    I find that the people who do have the time and inclination to do so are flaming douchebags with nothing of value to add to a discussion, unless it is their specific duty to point out those mistakes.
    >implying that Sonic, gedavids and Nuri are flaming douchebags or moderators or administrators.
    Draw your own conclusions.
    >implying I'm doing this for poops and snickers.
  • >implying implications about implications previously implied about the implier... wait what?
  • Use a color green that doesn't burn people's eyes, guys.
  • edited October 2009
    Use a color green that doesn't burn people's eyes, guys.
    You're doing it wrong, dumbass.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Jesus Christ, I'm blind after reading your post Nine. Please do a different shade of green.
  • Use a color green that doesn't burn people's eyes, guys.
    You're doing it wrong, dumbass.
    Spoilers: You're wrong.
  • Jesus Christ, I'm blind after reading your post Nine. Please stop posting.
  • Jesus Christ, I'm blind after reading your post Nine. Pleasestop posting.
    Even though Nine's posting has irked me a few times, there have been some that had me laughing. He's an equal-opportunity asshole. ^_~

Anyways, back to cosplaying! I was going to link the image of the one and only time I cosplayed, but the Fansview website is down. I cosplayed as Nanami when she turned into the cow/bulll from Utena. =3