This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

One Hundred Pushups

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
Every day I chat online with a big group of friends from the UK. One friend found the website One Hundred Pushups which sets out a training plan so within 6 weeks you can do 100 pushups/pressups in a row. We all had the same "Yeah, I'm going to do that too!" moment, but I didn't believe that anyone would actually go through with it after the initial test. Everyone is a shit-talker at some level.

Except one person made a Google Docs spreadsheet, set out the schedule, shared the document with everyone and asked us to enter our running totals. Suddenly we were being held accountable and the initial peer pressure is being drawn out for weeks on end. We are entering week 4 today, and most of us have kept up. Once again technology is bringing people together in new and surprising ways.

Anyway, I recommend going for the 100 pushups, it is a lot of fun, especially if you have support from friends ho are also going for the same goal.

Comments

• I'm on week 3 but am sucking a bit. I'll have to redo week 2 I think, fail!

Oh well I guess it's about getting there and not how you get there. I can already do 8x more pushups than I could do when I started. The program is pretty awesome; it's easier not to give up on such things when the timetable and goals are set out for you by a third party.
  • edited September 2008
    I talked to my doctor about this and she said that you should only attempt this if you are already physically fit. If you already have some form of exercise you do then you should be fine but if you are a desk jockey, like myself (not to be confused with "The poster formerly known as Myself"), you would want to do something like running or sports first.

I am still annoyed that I can't find a hockey or kendou group anywhere near here. Leeds has to have everything but the two sports I actually want.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Yeah, I don't believe this will work. I can't even do one real push-up now. How am I going to be able to do 100 in 6 weeks?
  • Yeah, I don't believe this will work. I can't even do one real push-up now. How am I going to be able to do 100 in 6 weeks?
    Not even one? Seriously? I'm no jock, but even I can like 10 (in a row).
  • I'm on week 3 but am sucking a bit. I'll have to redo week 2 I think, fail!
    Week 3 was HARD! I failed really badly on the first day's target so had to re-do that day. So last week I did 4 sessions (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) and this week I'll do Tue, Thur, Sat. However, the week 4 lineup doesn't look much hard than week 3.
    Yeah, I don't believe this will work. I can't even do one real push-up now. How am I going to be able to do 100 in 6 weeks?
    The website doesn't say everyone will be able to do 100 in 6 weeks, that is just the initial goal for the average person. Throughout the schedule it says things like:
    Hopefully you made it safely through the first week and now you're keen to move on to Week 2. However, if for some reason you struggled with the program, I would suggest either retaking the initial test or repeating Week 1. You'll probably be surprised at how much stronger you already are and will sail through the first week and be fired up and raring to go.
    So the idea is for people to get to 100 pushups, even if they have to repeat certain weeks and maybe take 10 or 12 weeks overall to get there.
  • Not even one? Seriously? I'm no jock, but even I can like 10 (in a row).
    Are you doing real ones? I can do plenty of not real push-ups. Many people think they can do push-ups, but really don't do them properly. You pretty much have to keep your body from your shoulders to your feet completely straight and rigid while you lift your entire weight with your arms.

If I could do one, I could imagine that getting to 100 would just require repetition and determination. I have no idea how anyone gets form zero to one.
  • I have no idea how anyone gets form zero to one.
    Have any amount of arm strength.
    My first day I could manage 2, with great effort. Yesterday, 2 weeks on, i managed 16. Of course I won't get to 100 in 6 weeks, but I'm sure happy to have gone from 2 to 16 already!
  • How's that sedentary lifestyle treatin' ya?
  • I managed to go from 20 flat out to 30 in less than a week. Given you will increase exponentially, 100 shouldn't take so long. Given the fact I used the word "exponentially" in that sentence, I should stick to walking the dog.
  • How's that sedentary lifestyle treatin' ya?
    I can still open doors faster than most people.
  • I can currently do 50, but I gained that strength from working out at the gym. I rarely do pushups, but if I actually trained to do more, I reckon I could pretty easily. I'm more concerned with getting stronger at the gym though, I done two reps of 110kgs last week on the bench press. New PB :-)
  • I can't even do one real push-up now
    Eh? Really? Ever since I was 14 or so I would try to do as many as my age, daily. Now I am in my early 20's. (I figure this will probably have to change once I get up there in years. Either that or I'll be one bad-ass gran!)

....Man, we should totally arm wrestle some time. Heh.

Also, seriously, I think you should get more exercise. If you do it right, it makes you feel really awake and happy. Either you are doing it wrong or your endorphin receptors are broken.
  • Also, seriously, I think you should get more exercise. If you do it right, it makes you feel really awake and happy. Either you are doing it wrong or your endorphin receptors are broken.
    No, it just hurts.
  • edited September 2008
    Also, seriously, I think you should get more exercise. If you do it right, it makes you feel really awake and happy. Either you are doing it wrong or your endorphin receptors are broken.
    No, it just hurts.
    Then you're doing it wrong.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • No, it just hurts.
    It does hurt, slightly, sometimes, but in a good way.

You ever have that feeling where you are tired but really content? Where you are all like...ahhh. That's what exercise is supposed to feel like. It makes you feel healthy and strong.

Think of it as similar to ettchi.
  • No, it hurts a lot, every time. When I get tired, I have to stop and wait for the pain to subside. There is no contentment.
  • No, it hurts a lot, every time. When I get tired, I have to stop and wait for the pain to subside. There is no contentment.
    Stretch?
    Stretch?
    It hurts in the guts, not in the muscles.
  • edited September 2008
    I have no stamina. Even when I was thinner I didn't. Plus I can only do two push ups. Whoever can end up doing 100 is awesome.

edit: Just tried a sec ago. Pain. Ow.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited September 2008
    It hurts in the guts, not in the muscles.
    Oooh! I think I know your problem. It is a common problem experienced when someone is out of shape. If I go running after the winter, the first time I feel pain in my side and in my lungs, and the muscles in my legs hurt like crazy the next day. However, once you get in shape, that really diminishes. Basically, there is no way around it. You will feel bad the first few times until you get used to it. Then you get the reward.

edit: Well, it will hurt any time you really push yourself, like when I was chasing Rym's car on my bike the other day. Even then, though, you get that nice feeling of "Ahhh" afterward when you are lying on the floor.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited September 2008
    Oooh! I think I know your problem. It is a common problem experienced when someone is out of shape. If I go running after the winter, thefirsttime I feel pain in my side and in my lungs, and the muscles in my legs hurt like crazy the next day. However, once you get in shape, that really diminishes. Basically, there is no way around it. You will feel bad the first few times until you get used to it. Then you get the reward.
    Not just lungs, all the other guts also, like the brain, heart, stomach, and some other internal areas where I don't think any guts exist. Also, it's every time. In elementary, middle, and high school they made us run a mile every, or almost every, gym class. That was about 5 days a week for 10 months. It hurt every time, and never changed. I always had to stop and walk way before almost everybody else, even though I don't have asthma or anything like that. In fact, kids who did have asthma and inhalers would last longer than me.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • What a whiner. Just do it. Like everything the first few times you do it, you'll suck. Get past it and you'll be golden.
  • In elementary, middle, and high school they made us run a mile every, or almost every, gym class. That was about 5 days a week for 10 months. It hurt every time, and never changed.
    Really? It never got easy? In JV Soccer, our warm up run was a mile and a half. The first day kinda sucked and we'd fall down on the grass at the end, but afterward, it got progressively less tiring. I don't know what the deal is if it always hurts and never gets any easier.
  • edited September 2008
    Really? It never got easy? In JV Soccer, our warm up run was a mile and a half. The first day kinda sucked and we'd fall down on the grass at the end, but afterward, it got progressively less tiring. I don't know what the deal is if it always hurts and never gets any easier.
    It never got easier. Senior year of high school (so four years of running every day, except the summer) the last time they made us run I was about a lap (1/4) mile behind everybody. I pretended like my 3rd lap was my last one, so we could go inside sooner. It was the end of school, and everyone just wanted to get out.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I asked a doctor once, and he said it sounded like symptoms of a deviated septum which would prevent me from breathing through the nose properly. He then looked in my nose with the doctor nose tool, and I don't have one. I can breathe through the nose just fine.
  • How will you be able to run away when the zombies come?
    From what I recall the other Scott will come to the rescue.
    I can drive really fast.
    He can, it's just easier to outrun Scott apparently. :D And seeing as it's Scott they'll get, they'll be occupied for quite some time.