This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

One Hundred Pushups

Comments

• How will you be able to run away when the zombies come?
    From what I recall the other Scott will come to the rescue.
    All depends on what kinda zombie otherwise I'll be relying on the fact that I can run faster then him :-p
  • All depends on what kinda zombie otherwise I'll be relying on the fact that I can run faster then him :-p
    I can run pretty fast, just not for a long time. They key is to hide before I run out of juice.
  • Oooh! I think I know your problem. It is a common problem experienced when someone is out of shape. If I go running after the winter, thefirsttime I feel pain in my side and in my lungs, and the muscles in my legs hurt like crazy the next day. However, once you get in shape, that really diminishes. Basically, there is no way around it. You will feel bad the first few times until you get used to it. Then you get the reward.
    Not just lungs, all the other guts also, like the brain, heart, stomach, and some other internal areas where I don't think any guts exist. Also, it's every time. In elementary, middle, and high school they made us run a mile every, or almost every, gym class. That was about 5 days a week for 10 months. It hurt every time, and never changed. I always had to stop and walk way before almost everybody else, even though I don't have asthma or anything like that. In fact, kids who did have asthma and inhalers would last longer than me.
    That's definitely not normal. I could see the doctor's idea with improper airflow, but that's obviously not the case. I wonder if it's a metabolic disorder of some kind. Like, your body doesn't process nutrients correctly and thus can't rebuild the damage done by exercise, so you just hurt instead of gain.

That's definitely out of the ordinary.
  • I asked a doctor once, and he said it sounded like symptoms of a deviated septum which would prevent me from breathing through the nose properly. He then looked in my nose with the doctor nose tool, and I don't have one. I can breathe through the nose just fine.
    I know someone who has a deviated septum because someone clocked her in the nose with a metal pipe. She can breathe just fine, and even though she is in her 50s, she could probably even outrun Rym.
  • That's definitely not normal. I could see the doctor's idea with improper airflow, but that's obviously not the case. I wonder if it's a metabolic disorder of some kind. Like, your body doesn't process nutrients correctly and thus can't rebuild the damage done by exercise, so you just hurt instead of gain.

Well, doctor didn't say anything. I was planning to go to the doctor again soon. I'll ask again.
  • That's definitely not normal. I could see the doctor's idea with improper airflow, but that's obviously not the case. I wonder if it's a metabolic disorder of some kind. Like, your body doesn't process nutrients correctly and thus can't rebuild the damage done by exercise, so you just hurt instead of gain.

Well, doctor didn't say anything. I was planning to go to the doctor again soon. I'll ask again.
    I had a similar problem till I started to just carry on, even when it hurt. Once I started doing that it got better and better. Now I'm in more or less good shape.
  • Hmm, Scott, have you ever gotten a second wind? Like I said, it hurts any time you push yourself to the limit, but even then, if you keep running, sometimes you start to feel better.

You know, I think you experience sensations more intensely than other people. Like carbonation and stuff, or being touched. Maybe it's not that you "can't run" but that the problem is a very low tolerance for pain. You may experience the pains of exercise differently because of that. I wonder...
  • I did about 51 push-ups in "correct" form, and then I decided that I don't really need to be doing this. I probably could do 100 push-ups if I tried, but it absolutely kills my wrists. I much prefer chin-ups and bouldering.
  • edited September 2008
    Hmm, Scott, have you ever gotten a second wind? Like I said, it hurts any time you push yourself to the limit, but even then, if you keep running, sometimes you start to feel better.

You know, I think you experience sensations more intensely than other people. Like carbonation and stuff, or being touched. Maybe it's not that you "can't run" but that the problem is a very low tolerance for pain. You may experience the pains of exercise differently because of that. I wonder...
    Maybe a nervous condition then? He could be hypersensitive. Scott, are you really bothered by loud noises? Spicy food?

EDIT: I like the way I'm acting like I'm a doctor. Good job, me.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Hmm, Scott, have you ever gotten a second wind? Like I said, it hurts any time you push yourself to the limit, but even then, if you keep running, sometimes you start to feel better.
    I've had a second wind like when it's 3am at a convention and I'm tired, but then without sleeping somehow I'm super awake for a bunch more hours without sleep. I've never had a second wind of actual wind.
  • I've never really been a fan these sorts of programs. Only doing generic exercises like this usually proves repetitive and boring. I like to find more creative and interesting ways to condition like quadrupedal movement, climbing, and things like that.
  • I've never really been a fan these sorts of programs. Only doing generic exercises like this usually proves repetitive and boring. I like to find more creative and interesting ways to condition like quadrupedal movement, climbing, and things like that.
    That reminded me. I get marks in sport for skipping. 200 times a minute for an A. That's, for me at least, totally impossible. It even gets added into my GPA..

I love these "Creative and Interesting" sports. ^^
  • Maybe a nervous condition then? He could be hypersensitive. Scott, are youreallybothered by loud noises? Spicy food?
    In the manner of my friend I was at once struck with an incoherence — an inconsistency; and I soon found this to arise from a series of feeble and futile struggles to overcome an habitual trepidancy — an excessive nervous agitation. For something of this nature I had indeed been prepared, no less by his letter, than by reminiscences of certain boyish traits, and by conclusions deduced from his peculiar physical conformation and temperament. His action was alternately vivacious and sullen. His voice varied rapidly from a tremulous indecision (when the animal spirits seemed utterly in abeyance) to that species of energetic concision — that abrupt, weighty, unhurried, and hollow-sounding enunciation — that leaden, self-balanced and perfectly modulated guttural utterance, which may be observed in the lost drunkard, or the irreclaimable eater of opium, during the periods of his most intense excitement.

It was thus that he spoke of the object of my visit, of his earnest desire to see me, and of the solace he expected me to afford him. He entered, at some length, into what he conceived to be the nature of his malady. It was, he said, a constitutional and a family evil, and one for which he despaired to find a remedy — a mere nervous affection, he immediately added, which would undoubtedly soon pass off. It displayed itself in a host of unnatural sensations. Some of these, as he detailed them, interested and bewildered me; although, perhaps, the terms, and the general manner of the narration had their weight. He suffered much from a morbid acuteness of the senses; the most insipid food was alone endurable; he could wear only garments of certain texture; the odors of all flowers were oppressive; his eyes were tortured by even a faint light; and there were but peculiar sounds, and these from stringed instruments, which did not inspire him with horror.
    - from The Fall of the House of Usher.
    TRUE! — nervous — very, very dreadfully nervous I had been, and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses — not destroyed — not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell.
    - from The Tell Tale Heart.

Scott is a Poe character.
  • Maybe a nervous condition then? He could be hypersensitive. Scott, are you really bothered by loud noises? Spicy food?
    Loud noises are fine. It's just certain noises that really annoy me, like Rym's unnecessarily loud typing or slurping. Spicy food is fine, to a point. I can't eat the crazy hot things that some of you guys eat, but I'm not scared away by a picture of a pepper or a few stars next to something on a thai menu.

I just love how people assume that just about anything "different" about a person must be some medical disorder. Grumpy lately? Must be vitamins. Can't run as far as other people? Must be metabolic problem. Annoyed by noises? Must be screwed up glands. Sure, sometimes symptoms like these can be caused by various illnesses, but they can also just happen for other reasons. You can cough from the flu, or you can cough from swallowing something improperly. Maybe I can't run far because I have a disorder, or maybe I'm just the genetic opposite of Lance Armstrong with his giant lungs.
  • edited September 2008
    Maybe I can't run far because I have a disorder, or maybe I'm just the genetic opposite of Lance Armstrong with his giant lungs.
    Isn't that the same thing? Either way, you have a physical problem. Besides, aren't you the one who always touts Science as the explanation for everything? It's fine for everyone else, but then when people start analyzing your problems somewhat scientifically, you say it doesn't matter. Why is it that scientific studies say that vitamins and minerals are a necessary part of the human diet and that deficiencies can cause problems you ignore them, but anything that I like (such as certain dish soap) has to have scientific studies that prove it is better. I'm not saying you should be a hypochondriac, but it comes down to the fact that this is either a medical problem or an attitude one. Either you are physically incapable of normal physical exertion or you just don't try hard enough. Either you are depressed and don't have enough seratonin (and vitamins) in your noggin or you CHOOSE to be that cranky.

edit: Exertion is the word I meant to type, folks. Not excretion. That's poop.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Either you are physically incapable of normal physical excretion or you just don't try hard enough
    I may have other problems, but my excretions are just fine thank you.
  • Ditto on the excretion comment. I think we all know Scott has never had a problem with prolific excretion.

I'm a big fan of my "Pay for Martial Arts classes" plan...I feel obligated to go because I'm dishing out a monthly payment to them whether I go or not. Plus, I feel better when I'm at least in decent shape, even if I'm not in great shape.

If I don't work out for a month or so, I get pretty ill when I go back for the first time. Stomach hurts, horrible burning pain in my limbs, etc. Then I hurt for about a week, sometimes so bad I have to take anti-inflammatory painkillers. It does get better after the first few classes back though...then my only problem is aerobic capacity because of my asthma. There seems to be a cap on how much heavy aerobic activity I can do, no matter how in shape I get.

But yeah Scott...I'm going to have to agree that if you can't do even one push-up, no matter how hard you try, then it's probably one of 3 things:
    1) there is something physically wrong with your body that prevents you from functioning in a typical way,
    2) you aren't trying very hard, or
    3) you're doin' it wrong.

People aren't *assuming* that not being able to do a push-up is a disorder. There have recently been news articles about medical studies* that have shown it is dangerous for people not to be able to catch their own body weight in a push-up-like manner, and a typical human body SHOULD be able to do it. Push-ups are a measure of body health. If you can't do one then something is wrong, not just different. If a guy is blind, then his eyes don't work the way they should. That is considered something atypical. It's considered a defect from how the body usually functions, rather than just being different. It's the same thing for you if you are physically unable to do a push-up.

*http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/health/nutrition/11well.html
  • 1) there is something physically wrong with your body that prevents you from functioning in a typical way,
    2) you aren't trying very hard, or
    3) you're doin' it wrong.
    Or maybe the muscles in my arms just aren't strong enough to lift my weight?
  • I'm not even sure what happened to me. I used to be able to do ~35 in a row. Now I can barely do 25 without starting to huff and puff. I haven't really stopped my "workout" plan (which is like pushups one day, then sit ups the next day, then repeat)...so I dunno how my count could have gone DOWN. I think a big issue is that I used to do push ups wrong, thus making them easier to do. Now that I'm 99% sure I do them the correct way, it's much harder.
  • edited September 2008
    I just love how people assume that just about anything "different" about a person must be some medical disorder. Grumpy lately? Must be vitamins. Can't run as far as other people? Must be metabolic problem. Annoyed by noises? Must be screwed up glands. Sure, sometimes symptoms like these can be caused by various illnesses, but they can also just happen for other reasons. You can cough from the flu, or you can cough from swallowing something improperly. Maybe I can't run far because I have a disorder, or maybe I'm just the genetic opposite of Lance Armstrong with his giant lungs.
    Yes, your symptoms might just be the result of some random genetic recombinations. You could just be at the other outlier end of the bell curve. The odds are far greater, however, that there's something going on. It may or may not be a problem; it's most likely not a life-threatening condition or something crazy like that, but you really don't know until you investigate.

The entire scientific process revolves around investigating things that are out of whack. Even if you don't need to run miles, the notion that people with documented breathing disorders could outrun you should raise some red flags. It's really for your own benefit; you could be stubborn and ignore it, but I've known people who have done that and died as a result of their stubbornness.

I'm not trying to be dramatic here; I'm just pointing out that in the absence of further investigation, you really can't say what is or isn't up. Recognizing what is "abnormal" is important; most of the time it's some harmless variation, but sometimes it's something significant that can be addressed with modern medicine.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited September 2008

The entire scientific process revolves around investigating things that are out of whack. Even if you don't need to run miles, the notion that people with documented breathing disorders could outrun you should raise some red flags. It's really for your own benefit; you could be stubborn and ignore it, but I've known people who have done that and died as a result of their stubbornness.

I'm not trying to be dramatic here; I'm just pointing out that in the absence of further investigation, you really can't say what is or isn't up. Recognizing what is "abnormal" is important; most of the time it's some harmless variation, but sometimes it's something significant that can be addressed with modern medicine.
    Well in 12 years of physical education in public school and in 26 years of seeing doctors semi-regularly, nobody ever seemed to think there was any cause for concern, except you guys on the Internet. Hmmm.

Also, I'm not an outlier. The article Nuri linked to says that half of males failed the pushup test.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2008
    Also, I'm not an outlier. The article Nuri linked to says that half of males failed the pushup test.
    Wait a second...
    Moreover, as the nation gains weight, arms are buckling under the extra load of our own bodies. In a 2001 study, researchers at East Carolina University administered push-up tests to about 70 students ages 10 to 13. Almost half the boys and three-quarters of the girls didn’t pass.
    1. It doesn't say how many pushups were needed to pass the pushups test, but I'd be surprised if it was JUST ONE, the number you can't do.
    2. It wasn't a test of "males", it was a test of "boys" aged 10 to 13. You are not in this group.
    3. It references increase in body weight as a cause for lower results in the pushups test, and from photos I've seen of your good self I don't think that excessive body weight is a factor in your case.
    4. It later says:
    Based on national averages, a 40-year-old woman should be able to do 16 push-ups and a man the same age should be able to do 27.
    I'm not sure what these figures are based on, but it seems that someone 15 years older than you should be able to do 27 more pushups than you can manage.

I think, based on the same article you cited, that you are the definition of an outlier.

I won't discuss this further as that will break my "never bother getting into a debate with Scott" rule, but I just thought I'd point out your less than honest cherry picking of data.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I know someone who has a deviated septum because someone clocked her in the nose with a metal pipe.
    Jesus. Where does she live, City 17?
  • Scott, make a youtube video of you trying to do pushups. I think then we can analyze this a little better.
  • edited September 2008
    Based on national averages, a 40-year-old woman should be able to do 16 push-ups and a man the same age should be able to do 27.
    I call bullshit. Does that not sound very strange to anyone else?

Edit:
    Also, if you can't manage the normal pushup, the site discusses several easier opinions to get your strength up here
    Post edited by Linton on
  • Scott, make a youtube video of you trying to do pushups. I think then we can analyze this a little better.
    Ok.
  • I call bullshit. Does that not sound very strange to anyone else?
    It actually didn't raise a red flag at first...but now I do call bullshit. As I just stated a few posts ago (last page, probably), I can do 25, but by then I'm pretty whipped. I'm 17. 23 years down the line and I'm not sure how I'll be.
  • edited September 2008
    Ok, so I just tried to do one because it has been a long time since my last attempt. I got off the ground a few inches, but not enough to actually count. I tried a second time with similar results, and then I had to catch my breath. It's not good.

I'll make a video later.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It actually didn't raise a red flag at first...but now I do call bullshit. As I just stated a few posts ago (last page, probably), I can do 25, but by then I'm pretty whipped. I'm 17. 23 years down the line and I'm not sure how I'll be.
    Ditto, and all the 40 year olds i know are a lot heavier and alot less active than a teenager
  • Ok, so I just tried to do one because it has been a long time since my last attempt. I got off the ground a few inches, but not enough to actually count.
    You know you aren't meant to start laying on the ground and then push yourself up? I think anyone would find this very, very hard. Start with your arms straight, lower yourself so your body is level with the ground, not on the ground, then back up. This is one pushup. If you are ever trying to "get off the ground" you are either doing the wrong or have already failed.