This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

One Hundred Pushups

Comments

• I know someone who has a deviated septum because someone clocked her in the nose with a metal pipe.
    Jesus. Where does she live,City 17?
    Nope. She was in the Navy in the 70s-80s. She happened to be a higher rank than one of the males on board and called him out for running his mouth. He decided to divine his own justice by braining her with the pipe as she slept in her quarters on the Officer's wing. She heard him come in and moved at the last minute, so he hit her nose instead. She chased after him down the hall when he ran off when he realized he hadn't killed her.

If she had reported it, it would have caused some real problems for her own career and that of the women whose career's would follow. I believe that the rest of the crew strung the fellow up by his ankles and hung him off the side, causing his departure from the Navy shortly thereafter.
  • You know you aren't meant to start laying on the ground and then push yourself up? I think anyone would find this very, very hard. Start with your arms straight, lower yourself so your body is level with the ground, not on the ground, then back up. This is one pushup. If you are ever trying to "get off the ground" you are either doing the wrong or have already failed.
    I went to a web site with instructions of how to do it properly, and it said to start on the ground.
  • You know you aren't meant to start laying on the ground and then push yourself up? I think anyone would find this very, very hard. Start with your arms straight, lower yourself so your body is level with the ground, not on the ground, then back up. This is one pushup. If you are ever trying to "get off the ground" you are either doing the wrong or have already failed.
    I went to a web site with instructions of how to do it properly, and it said to start on the ground.
    Link?
  • http://www.ehow.com/how_3190_proper-push-up.html
    Lie chest-down...Straighten your arms as you push your body up off the floor.
  • Thanks. That is the first time I've ever seen any instructions that say to start laying with your body on the floor rather than having your weight supported by your arms. Not only is that website the first time I've seen a pushup described that way, it is the first time I've EVER seen that action referred to as a pushup. In every film I've seen the army recruits don't start like that, in no gym, in no fitness class I've ever been in, in no instructional video, on no TV show, on no other website and nobody I've ever seen in person ever has started laying on the floor like that.

No wonder we all think you are a wimp, you are talking about a different thing than we are! I'm not saying you are wrong, because you would never accept that, we are just reading off different pages here.

The website I first linked to was One Hundred Pushups and I have been training the exercise set out on their "what page" which looks like this:
    So whatever you want to call this exercise, I'm aiming to do 100 of them in one go.
  • I always started off the ground to position my hands better and to make sure my body is straight.
  • Ok, I will try again starting in the air. I expect I will lower and not be able to rise again.
    edited September 2008
    Also, wha??? Touching the floor with your chest? Is it me, or am I the only person who would break his arms attempting to do that? Look at the gif Luke Burrage linked, the guys left hand clearly turns, and the right one slightly (less due to perspective). Also, another 'vote' for starting in the air. I just slowly lower myself till I'm horizontal, then count to one, and slowly raise. Never bothered doing push-ups till I was exhausted though, I just cram out something between 5 to 10 whenever I'm bored enough. :D

Though this 100 push-ups site is very interesting, and looks very, very tough.

EDIT: Also, to do my name honor, I bet that Scott'll drop to the floot instead of just lower himself.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Touching the floor with your chest? Is it me, or am I the only person who would break his arms attempting to do that?
    That's how I do my pushups...
  • Can you do knee pushups?
  • Touching the floor with your chest? Is it me, or am I the only person who would break his arms attempting to do that?
    Hrm, I always stop an inch or two above the ground, my wrist, amongst other bones, do not like being in said position, let alone something worse. And always thought/was taught you should not be touching the ground, for that means you are then supporting yourself with your chest, and not your arms.
    If you're knees are on the ground it takes no effort at all. It's so easy it's a joke.
    If you're knees are on the ground it takes no effort at all. It's so easy it's a joke.
    However doing enough of these should train you into doing real ones.
  • edited September 2008
    I call bullshit. Does that not sound very strange to anyone else?
    It actually didn't raise a red flag at first...but now I do call bullshit. As I just stated a few posts ago (last page, probably), I can do 25, but by then I'm pretty whipped. I'm 17. 23 years down the line and I'm not sure how I'll be.
    Uh, no. This is saying that to be HEALTHY, a woman that age should. I am 23, 125 lbs, and have noodle arms, and I can do 50 push-ups. It increases the more I practice...16 is really not that many. The problem is that many 40-yr-olds are much heavier than they should be healthily AND are out of shape. Being out of shape, it will be difficult for you to do 16. If you are in shape, doing 16 push-ups at 40 shouldn't be a big deal. I know plenty of people around that age that CAN do them as well as those that can't. I think some of you are making the mistake of confusing 40 with 60+. 40 is not that old. Have you got any 40-yr-old female friends? Think about them, and then think about them being in shape. Probably not too hard to get to 16 push-ups.
    Or maybe the muscles in my arms just aren't strong enough to lift my weight?
    Were this the case, then you should be able to do exercises to strengthen them. What you are saying is that despite your efforts, they are not gaining any kind of tone or strength. You are not that heavy, Scott. Seriously. I could lift you.

Actually, I always start in the air and lower my weight, as do most of the people I work out with. Generally you want your nose a few inches from the ground when you come down; you shouldn't be laying on the ground. If anything, just lowering your weight and holding it there will help strengthen those muscles, EVEN IF YOU CAN'T lift up again. Just holding it as long as you can before letting yourself down to the floor helps build muscles strength. A few days (with break days in between for your muscles to recover) of sets of that, and you should be able to do a push-up.
    Post edited by Nuri on
    I believe a proper pushup is down to about a fist length way from the floor.
    I believe a proper pushup is down to about a fist length way from the floor.
    I thought you have someone put their fist under you in order to make it easier, but that really you're supposed to go further than that.
  • I thought you have someone put their fist under you in order to make it easier, but that really you're supposed to go further than that.
    Nah, that's bollocks. If your elbows are bent at a right angle, then you're good. No need to go further. It's like deep knee bends...some people do them, but they have a higher probability of hurting your joints. Going down further increases your chances of damaging your elbow joints, and you still get a good workout without it.
  • If your knees are on the ground it takes no effort at all. It's so easy it's a joke.
    So is doing 1 (ONE) normal one.
  • Ifyourknees are on the ground it takes no effort at all. It's so easy it's a joke.
    So is doing 1 (ONE) normal one.
    QFT.

Uh, no. This is saying that to be HEALTHY, a woman that age should. I am 23, 125 lbs, and have noodle arms, and I can do 50 push-ups. It increases the more I practice...16 is really not that many. The problem is that many 40-yr-olds are much heavier than they should be healthily AND are out of shape. Being out of shape, it will be difficult for you to do 16. If you are in shape, doing 16 push-ups at 40 shouldn't be a big deal. I know plenty of people around that age that CAN do them as well as those that can't. I think some of you are making the mistake of confusing 40 with 60+. 40 is not that old. Have you got any 40-yr-old female friends? Think about them, and then think about them being in shape. Probably not too hard to get to 16 push-ups.
    16 for a 40 year old female I can easily see. 27 for a 40 year old man I'm still having problems seeing. Out of the 40ish year olds I know (from my family, I'm far too young to have 40 year old friends...<_<), they can either do 10 or 40+ (I'm guessing)...they're just not in shape or REALLY in shape.
  • Posted By: Nuri

... just lowering your weight and holding it there will help strengthen those muscles, EVEN IF YOU CAN'T lift up again. Just holding it as long as you can before letting yourself down to the floor helps build muscles strength. A few days (with break days in between for your muscles to recover) of sets of that, and you should be able to do a push-up.
    Yup. I went to a Boy's State summer program once. They could only make us do 20 pushups at a time but our Drill managed to make 20 pushups last 45 minutes. Also group pushups are fun as hell.

• I thought you have someone put their fist under you in order to make it easier, but that really you're supposed to go further than that.
    Nah, that's bollocks. If your elbows are bent at a right angle, then you're good. No need to go further. It's like deep knee bends...some people do them, but they have a higher probability of hurting your joints. Going down further increases your chances of damaging your elbow joints, and you still get a good workout without it.
    Any exercise like the pushup (bench press, for example) is at peak efficiency going from a right angle to full extension. That's all you need to do in order to completely work the target muscle. Deeper than that works different muscles and places a lot more stress on your joints.
  • edited October 2008
    Just done the initial test... 20 press ups. I've never been very physically fit but am naturally strong, endurance is where I've always lacked most, but raw power isn't a problem.

I think I could do far more than 100 in six weeks and I plan on doing it. I'm also going to match (as much as I can) the number of press ups I do with sit ups, as I'm tired of having a gut. I'm 5'10" and weigh 200lbs.

What would be better for me... running over the park or skating around my streets on roller blades? (I'm a good skater, I play ice hockey, so don't worry about me getting hit by a car).

edit

I done the initial test at 4:45am... thinking about it, I'll try again tomorrow evening when I get home from work, before dinner. I also didn't push myself to the limit, just done as many as I could and when I hit 20 I felt myself let my body weight rest on the floor, taking the pressure off my arms. Should I keep on going till I literally can't push myself up any more or was I right in assuming that once the pressure if off your arms the session as stopped?
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I think the idea is to go until failure. You want to go until you literally can't do any more, but once you're done, you're done.
    If you really want to lose weight do aerobic exercise like running, swimming, rowing(!), or the like. Roller blading should be fine, provided that you can find somewhere to do it. You can run pretty much anywhere. Skating will be easier on your joints too.

By the way, Scott, where's that pushup video? We don't forget these things.
  • edited October 2008
    On the matter of deviated septums...

Unless you had a very, very severe case it shouldn't hold you back. I have a deviated septum and it didn't interfere with the results of my PAST test.

Posted By: Nuri

Also group pushups are fun as hell.
    Dude, what the hell is wrong with you? Ranger push-ups are not fun! And this is coming from a guy who has a rediculously high pain tolerance. :-P
    Post edited by Pseudocidal on
  • Nuri's a tough girl-of-the-woods! She has the martial arts skillz!
  • By the way, Scott, where's that pushup video? We don't forget these things.
    At our last burning wheel game, Scott actually attempted to do a push up.... Believe me you don't want to see it. Even I felt some pity.
  • By the way, Scott, where's that pushup video? We don't forget these things.
    At our last burning wheel game, Scott actually attempted to do a push up.... Believe me you don't want to see it. Even I felt some pity.
    LOL, I'm like super skinny and I can do at least 8. I've set this website as one of the homepage tabs. I really wanna do 100 push ups, combined with the skill of how to solve a rubik's cube!
  • Alright, I decided to give it a shot. I got 32. That's on my knuckles, because I have a bad wrist and can't do pushups with my palms flat. I could probably get a few more if I could do them flat-palmed. I've been up to around 50 in the past.

I'll go ahead and try the program. How many people are actually doing it?
  • I'll do it.
  • I started last week, so far so good :D