This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

One Hundred Pushups

124»

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I'm in.
    I am a skinny bastard, so I can probably do a lot. But, maybe I am overestimating my frail arms. :) Time to find out.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2008

Posted By: Nuri
    Also group pushups are fun as hell.
    Dude, what the hell is wrong with you? Ranger push-ups are not fun! And this is coming from a guy who has a rediculously high pain tolerance. :-P

Um, Dude...I didn't say that. templar21 did. Get your quotes right if you're going to bitch about something. And group push-ups would be fine if the rest of the people in the group understood the concept of keeping your body rigid. But I'll not go into THAT rant.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • On the matter of deviated septums...

Unless you had a very, very severe case it shouldn't hold you back. I have a deviated septum and it didn't interfere with the results of my PAST test.

Posted By: Nuri
    Also group pushups are fun as hell.
    Dude, what the hell is wrong with you? Ranger push-ups are not fun! And this is coming from a guy who has a ridiculously high pain tolerance. :-P
    Pain tolerance is very relative. I had an accident that involve the tip of my left index finger getting crush by a bolt. I did not feel any pain, I also pushed an inguinal hernia back into my abdomino pelvic cavity. Granted that it was in its first stage (that is when I realize I needed to to more abs). But now that I think more about my finger incident I think it was because of my my nervous termination and synaptic spaces were crushed or I was in shock :P
  • edited October 2008
    Guys, 100 push-ups is not that hard. People that can do less then 20 should seriously consider a gym or a personal trainer or something. Not to reach 100 push-ups, but just to be fitter overall.
    I can't do 100 push-ups today, but more than 30 I can do for sure without ever practicing.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • 35 to start, so I guess I'll be beginning with week three. (I just tried the initial test after the show).
  • edited October 2008
    I just done 50 push ups on my re-take of the initial test whilst talking to my girlfriend on skype, so that was extra motivation. My arms are absolutely fucked now, though.

I took a picture of my biceps right after the 50 press ups. Thinking about taking a picture after every week, although, I feel like one of those "Hey, check out my abs... heh heh heh" sort of assholes for doing it.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Uh, still zero.
  • edited October 2008
    Uh, still zero.
    You try doing the alternative push ups?
    • "Knee" push ups - to reduce the lifting load by about 50% you can do the same exercise, but do it on your knees. Keeping a straight line from neck to torso is still important, so please pay attention to correct body alignment as you perform your workout.
    • "Knuckle" push ups - don't worry, these are not just for the hard-core push up folks. Some people experience wrist discomfort as they perform "good-form" push ups, but by closing your hands and making a fist, your body weight ends up on your knuckles instead of your palms, thus avoiding the wrist extension motion. Note: Please be sure to do this type of push up on a padded mat, plush carpet or even better a rolled up towel.
    • "Bench" push ups - you can also use a low bench or chair to support your arms while you perform either regular push ups or "knee" push ups. This type of push up allows you to really concentrate on the push up motion; all without the strain of the regular version. Note: Please be sure the bench or chair is stable and secure before you perform the push ups.
    • "Wall" push ups - if all the above options are still too challenging, one final variation exists. The "wall" push up dramatically reduces the pressure on the arms, upper back and abs. The closer you stand to the wall, the easier they are to perform, but remember, it's still important to be aware of your body alignment as you perform the "wall" push up. As you gain strength and confidence, move your feet slightly further away from the wall to make the workout more challenging. Feel free to consider moving to the "bench" or "knee" style push ups once your initial strength has increased.
    If so, then keep on going.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Just done week 3 column 3 and done the bare minimum push up amount. 3 reps of 14, 1 of 18 and then the last was 20+ but I only done 20. That's 60 overall, improvement over the 50 from yesterday. Day 2 on Friday.
  • Oh my god! Why would this thing start me on week 3. I can do 21 pushups not the like 60 it's telling me to do.
    This shit is hard.

So are you guys using the online logger, and if so what are your user names?
    Mines Mosquitoboy. Your can read about me bitching and barely making it past week 3 day 2:)
  • Yeah I'm on there, Norvu is the user name.
  • I am about to star week 3 and I can do 34 push ups :D
  • It took me a while to finish week 4 (I had an ankle injury) and I am able to do 50 push ups just fine :D
    I am entering week 6 after my exhaustion test :D
  • I have such horrible wrist pain in my right wrist that standard push-up aren't an option - I have no grip strength and my wrist buckles underneath me if I put more than 10 pounds of pressure on it. Wall push-ups are the way to go for me, if I am not working with machines or weights. Honestly, there are safer and more effective exercises out there, the push-up is a bit archaic in my book.
  • Jump rope is a very good exercise, and it is also fun :D
  • Jump rope is a very good exercise, and it is also fun :D
    Jump roping is pretty good, but it can be hard on your knees, and if I'm gonna put in the time and the knee-pain, I'm probably just gonna go running, which I think is more effective.

Shadow boxing is a surprisingly good workout, if you know what you're doing. I have this workout CD set and it's brutal.
  • The thing with shadow boxing is that you have to stop yourself from punching to hard in the air, that is you have to measure the force in your own punches otherwise you will injure yourself. It is very entertaining nonetheless :P
  • The thing with shadow boxing is that you have to stop yourself from punching to hard in the air, that is you have to measure the force in your own punches otherwise you will injure yourself. It is very entertaining nonetheless :P
    That's true -- you can mess up your elbows if you really just wing em out there. You really ought to be throwing punches under control though, shadow-boxing or not. I trained muay thai for a while, so I've got it down enough not to hurt myself. Actually, I find that if I do a hard session after a long layoff, the thing that's most sore is my lats, from braking the punches.

The CDs I linked above have a mix of punching combos with knees, kicks, sprawls and wrestling floor exercises. It's incredibly hard.
  • I do shadowboxing to work on form. I'd liken it more to playing air guitar if you were placing your fingers in the correct chord positions for practice. Hitting a heavy bag, however, makes for a much better workout.
  • Hitting a heavy bag, however, makes for a much better workout.
    Definitely is. I wish I had a heavy bag, or someone to hold pads for me.