This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• His not listening will make the review even better. I will be like when Bay makes movies; never look at the original content.
  • Entry level board games, or games you should know if you consider yourself a board gamer (see discussion on people not knowing backgammon rules).
  • edited March 2013
    Entry level board games, or games you should know if you consider yourself a board gamer (see discussion on people not knowing backgammon rules).
    Ah, nice.

And I would like a semi-definitive list of games that you would need under your belt to consider yourself a gamer. And would that have to be age related?
    Ie Older gamers should have at least one 2D Zelda, 2D Metoid, a 2D Mario, Quake or Doom, Advance-wars.

Where a younger gamer would probably have such pre-requisites as Counter-strike, a 3D Zelda, a 3D Mario...

I know Scrym talk a lot about not being able to play everything, only the best.

If a teenager today wanted to consider themselves an educated gamer, how far back would you recommend they go? Right back to the NES? Or have the flavours of those older games been sufficiently updated and dragged into the modern era, aka 1000 year Door would be a good Paper Mario game to play, no need to go back to the original SNES version?

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • You have to go back as far as the Atari 2600 at least.
  • edited March 2013
    You have to go back as far as the Atari 2600 at least.
    What about kids growing up in the Minecraft era? iOS?

Do they have to go back that far? When all their friends would consider someone who plays Minecraft and LOL a gamer? What IS a gamer? Would knowledge of older games be sufficient, or do you have to PLAY them, at least once?

Like, Gaming 101: Homework for tonight: Original Donkey Kong, Pac Mac and Galaga.

Isn't that out of touch with what a modern gamer is?

Sure, for us oldies.. Zelda 1 is a must. The iOS generation?... Unsure.

Edit: Although I think you are right, you WOULD need a sampling of many games over many generations to truly call yourself a gamer. A movie critic would be expected to have seen all the classic and acclaimed movies. Should not a gamer be the same? Or is it different somehow?
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Isn't that out of touch with what a modern gamer is?
    A modern enthusiast of stagecraft is expected to know Shakespeare.

Such things are necessary if one wishes to possess more than a superficial understanding of anything. If someone wishes to self-identify as a "gamer," then I expect more from them.
  • Isn't that out of touch with what a modern gamer is?
    A modern enthusiast of stagecraft is expected to know Shakespeare.

Such things are necessary if one wishes to possess more than a superficial understanding of anything. If someone wishes to self-identify as a "gamer," then I expect more from them.
    Herein lies I think the fundamental problem.

Almost everyone watches movies. Only some people who watch movies identify themselves as film buffs. Almost all people play games, but many of those people identify themselves as gamers. The phrase film buff implies not just the watching of film, but a deeper appreciation. The word gamer only implies the playing of games.

Either the word gamer should only apply to those who are true gaming enthusiasts, or another word or phrase should be used to label those who are serious about games.
  • Hardcore gamer? :)
  • Game--> Gamer --> Gamest?
  • Winner.
  • The life and death cycle of games, or what does it take a ressurect and reprint a game?
  • Don some togas and do Greeknights. Greek mythology geekery.
  • Um... togas were Roman.
    And that would be the first topic for them to address.
  • Stone Age: The easy of mobile board games v the enjoyment of fiddiling with bits.

OR What would I do with a 30-inch iPad?!?!

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/lenovo-ideacentre-horizon-27/4505-3118_7-35561100.html
    No, they are Greek. Just visit any frat house. :) j/k
  • How to Not Suck At Being An Idiot
  • 1. Don't be an idiot.
    2. Be gracious and humble when you've done something wrong.
    3. Admit to being wrong.
    4. Learn from your mistakes and don't do it again.
    5. Don't make things more awkward.
    6. Go with the flow.
    7. Profit.
  • 1. Don't be an idiot.
    2. Be gracious and humble when you've done something wrong.
    3. Admit to being wrong.
    4. Learn from your mistakes and don't do it again.
    5. Don't make things more awkward.
    6. Go with the flow.
    7. Profit.
    The opposite of this, actually.
  • How so?
    How to not suck at being an idiot. In other words, how to be good at being an idiot.
  • Ah, I read it wrong. I'm an idiot. :P

I guess for me, I wouldn't ever want to be good at being an idiot and try my hardest to not be an idiot.
  • How so?
    How to not suck at being an idiot. In other words, how to be good at being an idiot.
    Derp.

Well then "How To Not Suck At Being Smart"

• Every I do? Do the opposite.
  • Like accidentallying words?
  • I hope there's a whole episode on Enforcing.
  • I hope there's a whole episode on Enforcing.
    Better yet, an entire episode on what makes up a good con staffer, where many of them fail, and what can be done to turn them all into Enforce-alikes.
  • I don't know if this is enough for a whole show, but I'm curious if Rym and Scott have any strong opinions on time management. I'm at a point in my life where time is the most valuable thing I have, and I find it kind of impressive that they are able to balance all the GeekNights stuff against work and everything else that seems to eat time.
  • We have a thread about Rym and Scott's time management. Last time it was necroed, it was attacked by musical references.