This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081001 - Comics are for Boys

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I think you should know how it works around here by now.
    Didn't Scrym mention on the show that they didn't want people doing what Ro just did?
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Didn't Scrym mention on the show that theydidn'twant people doing what Ro just did?
    Oh did they? You might be right. If so, I do apologize.
  • I think you should know how it works around here by now.
    Didn't Scrym mention on the show that theydidn'twant people doing what Ro just did?
    They did? I must have missed that part. I was doing something else while listening to the podcast, and I missed a huge chunk of it as a result.
  • For a new member, one line would have sufficed.
  • edited October 2008
    Didn't Scrym mention on the show that theydidn'twant people doing what Ro just did?
    Actually no, they didn't. 58 minutes in, Scott states, "Just edit it and move on" and to not be a jerk about it. :P
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Actually no, they didn't. 58 minutes in, Scott states, "Just edit it and move on." Don't be a jerk about it. :P
    I took that to mean "correct the post in your quote, but don't point out the mistakes in the post unless you intend to respond."
  • I took that to mean "correct the post in your quote, but don't point out the mistakes in the post unless you intend to respond."
    Meh. Ok. Anyways I'm listening to the debates.
  • we did not recommend Sin City
    Do you like Sin City, Scott?
  • I think you should know how it works around here by now.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

The Momboleo is pretty good but, 'Euphoria, Must be Dreaming Now' is by far the best.

and from the same creator:

This in come in 2nd.
  • I guess by the time I was finished typing those questions I forgot they were questions. Hey, why didn't my Microsoft Word 2002 grammar checker find that.
    Oops - I meant to say - why didn't my Microsoft Word 2002 grammar checker find that ?
  • Hi Satelite, try using the preview button and just read the result back to yourself. I catch most of my mistakes that way.
  • we did not recommend Sin City
    Do you like Sin City, Scott?
    Yeah, but we didn't mention it in our panel.
  • I heard Emily mention My Faith in Frankie. AWESOME! I love that.
  • edited October 2008
    I'm still looking for a cheap/used copy of Watchmen. Epic fail, since I always get distracted by the other more harder to find stuff at the Half-Price Books. Like finding Sanctuary 1 for only 3 bucks in a 6 manga bundle, or 10 volumes of Hino Horror for 1 buck a pop.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • The Momboleo is pretty good but, 'Euphoria, Must be Dreaming Now' is by far the best.
    This is an awesome song and AMV, but Rahxephon did not live up to the hype.
  • A recent feel-good AMV by that same creator (Koopiskeva) that I am also quite fond of:
  • I remember watching that one in 720p. Hi-def AMVs are awesome.
  • I guess by the time I was finished typing those questions I forgot they were questions. Hey, why didn't my Microsoft Word 2002 grammar checker find that. Oops - I meant to say - why didn't my Microsoft Word 2002 grammar checker find that?
    Because it doesn't know whether you are writing a question or not? Also, why are you writing posts in Word? The advantages are zero.
    I think you should know how it works around here by now.
    Didn't Scrym mention on the show that they didn't want people doing what Ro just did?
    Thank you for pointing that out.
    You missed a post, right here:
    Actually no, they didn't. 58 minutes in, Scott states, "Just edit it and move on" and to not be a jerk about it. :P
    As you personally know, I'm the jerk about things.
    The Mamboleo is pretty good but, 'Euphoria, Must be Dreaming Now' is by far the best.
    and from the same creator:
    Ugh, he likes to spam effects I see. Second video even worse. That first song is good though, the second decent/meh. First AMV is nice, thanks. Note that I do not like AMVs, so don't bother getting a bug up your butt.
    This in come in 2nd.
    4 sentences... only 32 words... @_@
  • edited October 2008
    There are a lot of good things to say about Euphoria itself, but it also ushered in the era of self-indulgent special effects in AMVs. Special effects can really contribute to an AMV sometimes, but they're best if they're used in relativly subtle ways, such as matching color or texture between different scenes, or for transitions. Magic Pad by Nostromo is a pretty good example of that.

I think that haveing special effects front and center is fine for comedy, though. Skittles is awesome :)

Edit: See also Azumerica

Edit: Oh, and you can't have an AMV as famous as Euphoria without a parody. I present Ophoria:

Post edited by Symmetry on
    edited October 2008
    Magic Pad by Nostromo is a pretty good example of that.
    Magic Pad is awesome, I made it my TotD once, so yeah. It is also the only AMV that I know off where the 'A' stands for 'Awesome'. But why can't I watch that particular version? Seriously Youtube, stop being silly.

EDIT:
    Edit: Oh, and you can't have an AMV as famous as Euphoria without a parody. I present Ophoria:
    Wow, parodying an AMV, that's crazy.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Mamboleo, FRC version: No chance of a videotaped thing of this? I am so curious about it. I wanna see dancin'.

On the topic of sexist comics... I can see myself (a girl) enjoying things like Watchmen, super hero comics, and V for Vendetta very much, whereas my friend Cole (a guy) likes to read quite a few shojos and while he enjoys American comics, has more yaoi than I do.

When it comes to manga, I tend to read slice o' lifes, comedies, horrors, and suspense, while Cole would read yaoi, almost ultra shojo and pretty cute animes (like Cardcaptor Sakura - he worships his wall scroll of Sakura and was so angry when his roommate took it down). So, I know that we two people really screw around with preset stereotypes.

I don't think people - even girly girls - can stand that much romance and cutesy stuff anyway without needing some meat (no pun intended).

Also, I work in a geek shop, and while I admit most girls drift straight for the manga while the guys are going for the role playing games and American comics, you'd be surprised how much the customers will surprise you. People bring up such contradictory things compared to their image. There's a guy who'll always buy a pile of shojo manga, and quite a few girls who are putting things like Marvel Zombies in front of me and asking for the newest pack of Magic.
  • edited October 2008
    has more yaoi than I do.
    Total or as a percentage of collection?

I can't really think of any anime or manga I like that is in one of the distinct male or female genres. Geek culture is a culture for everyone, while it is portrayed as being male oriented there is no stigma relating activities to genders.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, what hobbies have a gender bias?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • what hobbies have a gender bias?
    There is no built-in bias, but personally I have never met, or heard of, a single female who was interested into model railroads. Likewise, I have never met, or heard of, anyone other than an old lady who was into artificial flower arranging. I'm sure there are people out there. There's also no actual bias built into the hobbies themselves. It's just what I've seen.
  • I am not sure what I would do if I went to a girlfriend's house to find a model railroad in the basement.
  • edited October 2008
    I am not sure what I would do if I went to a girlfriend's house to find a model railroad in the basement.
    See if it is her dad's or brother's. If it's hers, don't let her go.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I am not sure what I would do if I went to a girlfriend's house to find a model railroad in the basement.
    See if it is her dad's or brother's. If it's hers, don't let her go.
    Unless of course she spends all her time and the majority of her funds on it. Otherwise, awesome.
  • has more yaoi than I do.
    Total or as a percentage of collection?
    Defitenely a percentage. He has a smaller collection than I do, and yet still has more yaoi.
  • Unless of course she spends all her time and the majority of her funds on it. Otherwise, awesome.
    No, it's pretty much awesome no matter what.
  • Unless of course she spends all her time and the majority of her funds on it. Otherwise, awesome.
    Eh, Scott, some people would like to get something out of a relationship.
    Eh, Scott, some people would like to get something out of a relationship.
    Those people are clearly inferior. Don't mess with the rules of Scott Rubin. :)