This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081001 - Comics are for Boys

Comments

• You're implying that you can't get anything out a relationship with someone who is a model railroad nut.
  • More like what they can get out of the relationship is rather limited.
  • Maybe she can ride a train well, if you know what I mean. ~_^
  • edited October 2008
    More like what they can get out of the relationship is rather limited.
    Or kinky.

Y'know, I've never actually known any females who were into model railroad, or RC vehicles, or any of those sorts of hobbies. Seems to be a very classically male thing.

EDIT: Also, HO scale sucks. O, O27, and N scale are where it's all at.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    Sadly her preferred trains are made out of metal and plastic.
    Sadly her preferred trains are made out of metal and plastic.
    Plastic covering is always a safer option...
  • I played with my dad's model trains and matchbox cars when I was a kid. I think the thing is, I have neither the time nor the money to spend it on that sort of "collecting-building" type hobby. I mean, I've always thought model kits (especially airplanes) were pretty nifty, but where am I going to put them? When am I going to build them? Instead, I model airplanes and creatures in Maya, because they don't take up space and you can use them to make movies.

As Scott says (by way of Hermes)
    "Hey...Come ride my train."
  • "Hey...Come ride my train."
    And returning full circle, we somehow construe a cylindrical object to be an oppressive phallic reference.
  • That's because humans see themselves in everything, reason why we see faces when we look at the front of a car and so on...
  • edited October 2008
    reason why we see faces when we look at the front of a car and so on...
    I think there is something wrong with your car.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Damn, why didn't I respond with "Because cars don't drive themselves?"?
  • I have always wanted a model train set. Right now, I am working on my friend's son to get his wooden Thomas the Train set. He is three years old. I think it can happen.
  • edited October 2008
    I haven't lol'd so hard in such a long time. Ford does not own Fiat, Fiat owns Ferrari. Fiat owns pretty much all Italian car brands, with the exception of Lamborghini. They make normal cars, and they aren't that popular either, I haven't seen one in quite some time. As for high school kids... eh, yeah right, if high school kids were allowed to get a drivers license perhaps, and even then Fiats would cost too much. Scott's knowledge of the European cars, not that good.
    I felt almost the same way about this. But, there was a really big coincidence in Scotts's comment. When I was in high school, I had a fiat. FIAT does make a lot of different category cars, sedans, compacts etc... But it was also a coincidence that the kind of FIAT I had was a small, fuel economy and really affordable type of FIAT.
    Because of that I thought it was an "OK" explanation for people that have no knowledge of the existence of FIAT.
    Off topic: I had a few other cars after that FIAT, and a few years ago I bought another FIAT (FIAT uno), from my mom. It's a small car with a 1 litter engine. I don't think Americans can picture a one litter engine. LOL. I myself thought it was a really slow car. So I turbo charged it. There are some not so politically correct videos of my little car in youtube, I will post the link for those who are curious, but if you don't mind that sort of thing, please don't come bug me about it.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • (FIAT uno)
    I myself thought it was a really slow car. So I turbo charged it.
    :HEADESK: It's a fucking grocery cart from the 80's!
    FIAT does make a lot of different category cars, sedans, compacts etc...
    That's what pretty much every non-sports-car car company does. It's not a rare thing.
    There are some not so politically correct videos of my little car in youtube, I will post the link for those who are curious, but if you don't mind that sort of thing, please don't come bug me about it.
    50 meters acceleration idiocy during broad daylight? Did you ever notice that you hear more tire-squeeking than motor noise?
  • I am not sure what I would do if I went to a girlfriend's house to find a model railroad in the basement.
    See if it is her dad's or brother's. If it's hers, don't let her go.
    Unless you don't like model railroads. ^_~
  • edited October 2008
    That's what pretty much every non-sports-car car company does. It's not a rare thing.
    Yes I'm aware of that. The impression I got from Scott's explanation was that it only made small cars, that's why I said that.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • edited October 2008
    May I interject that almost all of my family's cars have been Fiats. We currently have 2 Fiat 126s (I have to sit across the back seat to fit in.) and a Doblo (The opposite, has all the leg and head room anyone could want.).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2008
    May I interject that almost all of my family's cars have been Fiats. We currently have 2Fiat 126s (I have to sit across the back seat to fit in.) and aDoblo(The opposite, has all the leg and head room anyone could want.).
    Oh wow. The Doblo used to look a lot goofier than it does now.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh wow. The Doblo used to look a lot goofier than it does now.
    What do you mean? It only got a nose job, one that didn't significantly change the looks of the Doblò. Are you perhaps confusing it with the fat-roll first generation Multipla?
  • Are you perhaps confusing it with the fat-roll first generation Multipla?
    Yes, yes I am. And just so people know what' we're talking about.
  • Yes, yes I am. And just so people know what' we're talking about.
    God, bargle-green doesn't even affect its looks in any way.
  • The ugliest car ever built and it's unfortunately not uncommon where I live (about an hour from the italian border).
  • edited October 2008
    I was once in a car, which I think was the Nissan Cube or similar. The thing was like a Tardis on wheels.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Are you perhaps confusing it with the fat-roll first generation Multipla?
    Yes, yes I am. And just so people know what' we're talking about.
    Uh I like that. Looks very James Bond, in the since that the cockpit could detach and float, slide or roll.
  • Uh I like that. Looks very James Bond, in the since that the cockpit could detach and float, slide or roll.
    Do you mean that "It looks like something James Bond would use"? One problem. James Bond has style.
  • I think it looks neat, like a fishbowl.
    Or a car with a tumor.
    Or a car with a tumor.
    A car with tumors has feelings too!
  • Also, despite being ugly, I've heard it's not that bad a drive.
  • Also, despite being ugly, I've heard it's not that bad a drive.
    It's a modern car not made by Americans. So it's already impossible to be a bad drive.